Dermatology Expert Forum
What is causing skin eruptions on trunk, arms, legs, feet, and hands?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

In December 2004, I started having blister-like lesions on the palms of my hands, wrists, ankles, and sides of my feet, which has now spread to my back, shoulders, and legs and arms.  The lesions are round, very itchy, have a hard whie core when lanced, and do not heal for months -- they are spreading.  Dermatologists and my family MD are stumped.  I even used the medication for scabies twice (all over body), all kinds of topical prescription lotions with no success. When the scab comes off the top, the lesions bleed and don't heal.  

A woman I met recently has had a similar infection for years with no medication working; recently she received chemo for breast cancer and the lesions cleared up while she was on chemo but returned afterwards. This makes me wonder whether this is some kind of systemic or immune system problem.  A skin biopsy was negative.  I have no known allergies except to tetracycline, am not prone to hives.  I am also treated for a combination of acne and rosacea on my face and neck and am post-menopausal.  Only other meds are for hypothyroidism and slightly elevated blood pessure.  The outbreak started suddenly and has gotten worse month after month. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I also suffer from acute sweating only on my head, face, neck, and shoulders, which hasn't been helped by hormone treatments.
I'm afraid I can't tell you, based on your description.  You may need additional biopsies or other tests.  If you ever pick or squeeze these spots, you should be sure to stop, since that perpetuates them or confuses the issue.  If your dermatologist is stumped, you may want to seek another opinion.  There just isn't any way for me to say more than that.  As for the other woman with a "similar infection", you are assuming this is an infection, which it almost certainly is not, since infections don't behave the way you say your rash does.  As for her condition being similar, I would be wary of making that assumption as well.  All you really know is that she had something on her skin, but you can't know it's similar until you know exactly what it was--and what you have.....  Also, I don't know of many rashes treated inadvertently by chemo.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff