What is red rash around lower leg above the ankle?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recently returned from Disney World and develop a red blotch rash just above the ankle bone on the inside of my leg.  The rash looks like specks of blood under the skin and in some areas form large red blotch.  There is slight swelling in the lower ankle area.  I did a lot of walking and the temperatures were in the upper 80's and lower 90's.  Is it weather related, lack of fluid?  I have never experienced this before.  Have read the blogs, seems others suffer from the same or similar symtoms (symptoms).  

This discussion is related to Lower Leg Rash.

This could be due to the walking and heat.

This could be eczema, dermatitis, bacterial or fungal skin infection etc.

Keep the area clean and wear socks washed in a few drops of chlorhexidine preferably and dried in the sun.

You could try some hot fomentation. Apply calamine lotion at the sites. Wear lose comfortable footwear. Maintain good personal hygiene.

Consult your doctor if the rash persists after a few days.

Let us know about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
I am in Florida (Disney World) and have the same rash.  Mine is getting worse every day.
My rash was on my lower legs the day I arrived home. I put cooling gel (aloe vera) and itch cream on it and within two days it began to disappear.  Because of the heat here in the Washington DC area, I turned on my air conditioning (78%) and the fan in my bedroom to keep me cool.  By the fith day it was gone along with the slight swelling that I also had.  I believe it was heat related because while in Florida I wore walking shorts and had no problem.  The last day there I wore long pants on Friday and wore the same pants home on Sat.  Suggest you keep the area cool and use a cooling gel and itch cream if it itches.  Good luck.
I also have a similar rash from hiking, and sometimes fevers/cheers afterwards.
Yesterday, after a 10 mile hike, it here again for a few days, painful, like I've been scalded by hot water.
I've always been perplexed by this.

Below is a link to a picture I posted:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gbfowler/TableMountain2008/photo#5220348216808197730
We have the same thing happening here, however, the weather is completely different.  We have had quite a bit of snow, and the rash seemed to have started after being out for some time sledding.  It has also only happened in my children (ages 12 & 10).  It seems to be the worst in my 10 year old, who has complained of the pain.  It is also on both legs, just above the ankle on the back of the leg.  He has been wearing footie type socks and winter boots.  
Be sure to read the "Golfer's Vasculitis is more than just annoying" thread. That will give you the information you're looking for!
I have experienced the same type of red rash this past weekend.  I was painting in a very small bathroom in pretty warm weather on my feet for 8 hours - painted again on Sunday for 3 hours warm weather and have the rash.  Thought it looked like a type of heat rash.
I get this EXACT same thing every time I go to Disney...I have been calling it "Disney Rash."  I just went yesterday and got it again.  It last for a week to a week and a half.  I have been wondering if I should go to the doctor about it.
I can't believe how many posts are related to Disney World. I just got back yesterday from Orlando and had a rash attack on my lower legs, above the ankle and to just below the knee. The rash is subsiding, but the first two days were very uncomfortable and my lower legs were very itchy. The solid red areas are now breaking up into freckle like brownish spots. The weather was not that hot 60-65
degrees. I just couldn't figure it out. Food, bacteria, chemicals, water? I did walk around, but no more or less than I usually do whether at Disney or back home. Makes me think twice about going back.
I too developed this when I went to Disney several years ago. It reappeared every April/May ever since and I started to notice vericose veins. I went to my doctor about it each year, complaining of the swelling and even suggested to her that there's a circulation problem. llen. The blothy rash looked like a sunburn and my ankles got very swoI was dismissed with lasix for swelling. I ended up having knee surgery this year and developed a major DVT. Now I'm dealing with the rash consistanly along with many other problems. My vascular surgeon suspects my problems began with that rash a Disney - not really a rash, but pooling. I wish I was more persistant with my doctor when I thought it might have something to do with the circulation.
Hi, I get the same rash every time i go to Disney, I am getting ready to go in July and i am worried I will get it again, so i am going to start walking on my tredmill to build up the ton of walking we al have to do while at Disney. I do not mind walking buit the rash makes me feel bad. I am in hopes that by doing this it will build up the strength I need for the long walking, since I do not walk a "ton" but some at home. Just thougt I would share and Ill let you all know
I just returned from Disney also. My daughter and I both had a rash on our ankles. She thinks it's caused by chemicals in the water on the rides because she gets the same rash at other amusements parks.  I got the rash on  the first day we were there. I put hydrocortisone on it that night and it improved by the next day. Then, I got splashed by one of those fountains that kids play in as I walked past it. Right away I could feel a burning sensation and the rash came back even worse. You can avoid the rides that really get you wet like Splash Mountain but even in Small World and other boat rides that don't splash much, the floors are wet so the seats get wet and your ankles come in contact with the seats as you get in and out.
I have been to Disney World every year for over a decade at all different times of the year, I have just returned from Disney and Universal and have the same symptoms as all of you...a red splotchy rash on my lower legs.  This is the first time this has ever happened!!  It started at Universal on Tuesday after a long hot day of walking around--no water rides by the way.  Went away completely in just over 36-48 hours, but returned with a vengeance Saturday after being at Magic Kingdom and then EPCOT all day walking around in the heat.  It started by an itching sensation where I thought I had been bitten by something, that did not last however and then it just felt sort of tight (swelling?) if I felt anything at all.  It is unsightly and I am concerned since it does look like bleeding under the skin.  I am leary of spending the money to see a doctor and not getting a proper diagnosis, as that seems to be happening to me more and more lately.
I have the same rash.
My cirumstances are:
Just returned tonite from transcontinental flight where I had tight socks on which may have cut off circulation
General tiredness, exhaustion started 2 days ago which was 2 days after arriving. At first I thought it was purely jet lag but I did not want to leave bed. Rash was noticed this evening after my flight home.
Background info: I started swimming in the Hudson River, 15 miles north of Manhattan about 6 weeks. People told me it was safe but now I wonder if there are toxins in the water?
I take no medications.
Regards,
TT
Well, I have been to Disney many times and every time I go I get the rash, I wish I didnt. I am leaving for Disney this Saturday and it is super hot there. I am thinking it has to be part of the heat, what else can it be? many of us get it and I do not get it at home. (Illinois)

My plan for while I am there is to have no purfumed lotions on my legs, I have really good tennis shoes, and I was told by a doctor who helped me with my foot to soak in really cold water, it helps with any swelling. Hope it helps but Im going to have a good trip any way LOL
We just returned from Disney World.  My 10 yr old was the only one in our party of seven that got this rash.  It looks angry and itches.  I did not notice it until Friday and he never complained so I am not sure when it started.  We were there all week, visited Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios.  We all swam in the same pools and rode the same rides.  My son wore tennis shoes with ankle socks.  
We are all outdoors quite often hiking and camping.  This has never happened before so I find it interesting that it could be related to something at Disney.
Just got back from Disney and had the exact same symptoms you have been describing.  Started the day after I sat with my legs in the kiddie pool at our hotel.  It got progressively worse and especially stung when I was splashed or came in contact with water in the parks.  I slept with ice packs on my calves to keep the swelling down.  The day we left, the hives on my calves were so bad, I felt like a leper walking through the airport.  Got on the plane and by the time I landed in Atlanta, the hives on one leg were almost completely gone.  Been home 3 days and can barely see a shadow of redness where the hives once were.  One weird thing I noticed that led me to believe it wasn't just a surface allergy:  A bruise I had behind my knee swelled up like one large hive!  Something strange is definitely going on with the water down there in Orlando.  
So I was just in Orlando 7/15-20 and spent 4 days in Universal and one day I park hopped in Disney.  I have been down in Orlando 5 times in the last 4 years.  2 times were 10 days Disney, one time 7 days Disney but my husband broke his leg so I didn't really do anything, this time and also last October I did one day in SeaWorld and one in Discovery Cove.  I got this same rash except for the SeaWorld/Discovery Cove time.  I have tried to narrow it down and can not figure it out.  I went to the doctor today and she was stumped as to what it is.  I only get it in Orlando.  It now is coming faster and worsens every time.  I go to Orlando almost every year and would like to prevent this because it can be uncomfortable and not to mention super ugly up the back of my lower legs. I am over 30 and never had it in my 20s and I only get it down in Orlando (live in MA & NH).   It seems to me by day 3 is when it hits.  First couple times it started slow and got worse, this time it started bad and got almost purple looking in a couple of days.  I was bummed my vaca was only 5 days but happy at the same time cause I was nervous because the rash was so bad.  I can't believe how many others get this same rash!!  I just wish I could get to the bottom of it. Three times I stayed on Disney property and twice I stayed on I Drive.  I can not find a common factor for myself outside of spending 3 or more days in a theme park in Orlando.  I have showered there every time and had two trips with no problems so I'm ruling out the water.  I have been there in May, July, September, October and December....May, July & Sept were my breakouts.  The doc did not think it was sun related.  I'm stumped!
Ok every one I hope this is helpful, I just got back from Disney, I went July 17-24 and it was hot! I went to all of the parks as we do on every trip. The second day I was there, here come's the rash just as I have posted before and as we are all saying, so nothing new to report on that part. But I did take it a step farther and I went to the first aid station in Magic Kingdom and asked if they have hers of it or what they thought and this is what I was told. They say it is the extreme heat that basically comes off of the ground and breaks the capillaries in your legs. this causing a rash "look" but actually broken capillaries. It will swell and be warm to the touch and itch, everything we have all been saying. They said they keeping them elevated and with cool cloths on them will help, like when you go back to the holtel room. They also said if I wanted to, do an experiement and next time wear a fully covered pant, like capri and socks to cover the leg and then the heat would not get to your leg, I agree with that part some because I always wear the short socks that go just above my tennis shoe and it is never there below my sock.
So there answer is the extreme heat bouncing off the road, floor what ever you want to call it. I asked why does it only happen to me, and no one else in my family of all different shapes, and age, male and female and I was told they have seen it in men, women, kids, thin, heavy and it is just for lack of better way to explain it just my make up... I love in Illinois and we do get heat and humidity here but not like Florida so i am use to heat as well.
If you go on Google and type in Broke Capillaries you will see pictures and get more info on there. Thats just what i did.
So I feel I have found my answer, Im a believing the Disney first aid station and will just be ready when I go back.
Also i just want to state i have been at all different times fo the year to, April, June, July, September and October.
Hope this helps or just good reading, feel free to post back.
Have a magical day!
Theresa~~
Just returned from Orlando, 5 day stay. Developed a rash on inner aspect both legs just above ankles. Not itchy but very red. It is subsiding, thank goodness. First noticed it at Disney but actually stayed at Universal. Treated with hydrocortisone spray, cool water and elevated legs when possible. At 51, I just called it "old lady rash." We live in MS. and I walk a good bit.
I too developed the red rash on my inner ankles and lower leg this week at Disney! Hours of walking and heat but would be very interested to know what this is. Area is like a burn from an iron, very localized, hot to the touch and bright red. Maybe environmental? Insecticides?
I live in Florida and developed this rash in my backyard. The first 3 times it showed up was after mowing the lawn. I thought I had come in contact with a specific weed and had a reaction. This past weekend we took our son to Busch Gardens, and the next day, there it was.
My rash doesn't itch or burn. It is not raised. Just very red and it starts above my sock line on the ankle (sometimes only one leg, other times, both) and spreads, I can't say it turns into one big blotch, the little dots are very individual. To me it looks like popped vessels or capillaries, as someone else had mentioned. It starts out as little red pin points. After 3 or 4 days, it is gone.
I had the same problem. Non itching rash above the ankles in humid and in dry hot weather, fading away in a few days. It seems like you get this when walking a lot in hot weather. Don't seem to have anything to do with location, contact with something or bites. It could be internal pressure at the ankle or maybe acidic sweat.
I'm back. That rash is called Golfer's Vasculitis. Check it out on line.
I have spent a month in Orlando going to the Disney theme parks and yesterday developed this rash above my ankles almost extending to my knee.  Not itchy, just plain angry looking and ugly.  Went to an urgent care center because I have had a total knee replacement on this leg and was concerned about the possibility of an infection but the doctor was totally mystified and had no answers for me.  Think I found it here.  Thank you to all who have contributed.  Cathy3435
So glad to hear its not just me getting this rash. My problem is tho - I got it after being all day on my feet at Disneyland in Oct, and from then on it gets worse and spreads. So far I have had it for 3 mths even tho I am back home. The last time was on a trip to Europe which included a lot of walking and it spread up to almost to the knee on my right leg but not as far on my left. It was very severe and I had it for 5 mths. I visited doctors, dermocologists and was even in hospital for 2 days on a constant drip of anti biotics and still it did not go away. In the end it slowly disappeared of its own accord. I have a dermo appointment in Jan and definitely want some answers about what it is and how to get rid of it, and importantly how to prevent it in the future. It is very ugly and distressing to have and not be able to rid it.
I hear all the lower leg rash comments about DisneyWorld (Florida) but I got the same darm thing @ DisneyLand (CA).  Bright red almost solid rash starting  just above the ankle and going up about 4" mostly on the inside of the leg.  I don't think it is heat, the temp was in the high 60s.  I have experienced this once before in Las Vegas.  Same rash - same place.  It will gradually disappear within a weeks or so.  The one common thread was a lot of walking and @ DisneyLand 2hrs standing waiting for a show.  However, I do a lot of walking at home in Phoenix and thats really HOT - never got it here though.  I find this blog really "funny" about the association to Disney - good luck!
Yes, it's Golfer's Vasculitis.  I happen to be a golfer and have suffered with it for years.  I only get it when walking the course in hot weather.  Given that I live in the swamp that is eastern Maryland, that means I have it almost weekly all summer.    The only thing I've found that can help lessen the severity of it is to periodically put ice old water on my legs throughout the round.    Nothing I've found prevents it.    I think it's probably genetic.  Here's a very long thread dedicated to the condition.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Golfers-Vasculitis-is-more-than-just-annoying/show/543722?page=1
I am a 40 year old male from Pittsburgh PA. I have always been pretty active, landscaped for many years, always had jobs requiring walking all day. Recently my family and I have started going on walks through our local cemeteries (all very hilly). I have in the last few weeks started getting this same rash on my legs. Looking at these post makes me wonder if this has alot to do with our age.It really hasnt been to much of a bother yet (other than the mystery), I have learned though, do not rub to hard while in the shower as they will bleed. I am going to try hydro creme and see what happens. Dont rub.Good luck!
I HAVE THE SOLUTION.  This happens to me every time there is extreme heat, a lot of walking and I am wearing jeans.  The first time it was in New Orleans, very hot and humid and the same thing happened to my mom.  We had no idea what to do at that time.  This has happened to me again and again in New York in July, Washington DC,  Arizona and in other places.  I once saw a lady taken out on an ambulance during the fourth of July weekend at the Statue of Liberty - it was bad, the redness was all over her legs, she could not walk any more.
I discovered how to stop it from spreading and getting rid of the red spots. AT THE FIRST SYMPTOMS  you need to apply this over-the-counter lotion :  brand EUCERIN, calming itch-relief treatment, sold at pharmacies in the hand/body lotion section.  I apply it as many times as I can.  I carry the travel size with me everywhere during summer, to use it on the first symptoms.  THIS REALLY WORKS!!!!!!  
Amazing!  I got this last time we were at WDW.  We went to Disneyland the next year...did as much walking, if not more since we didn't stay on property, and didn't get the rash!  My rash was very hives-like.  I thought maybe they use some cleaning fluid on their carpets that I'm allergic to, since the only other time I got hives like this was once when I took a grad class in a carpeted school building.  I had no idea that I'm not the only one!!!
So here it is, my mom got it this week (June 2011) and we were told they got a park wide email saying it's the reflection of the concrete at the parks causing this. They didn't say how to fix it, just to keep your legs covered. But who can do that when it's 100+ degrees out! They did say it goes away though! Sorry I couldn't help more!  

First time I saw this was at World's Fair in New Orleans in 1984, now I see it if I'm on my feet a while.
I have never been to Disney. I moved to FL at the end of 2009 from up north where it is not hot or humid.  I was recently diagnosed with diabetes.  Last year I started getting brown spots on the top of both feet. Then I started getting red spots on the inside of both legs just above the ankles. The area is a bit sensitive and varies in degree of redness from day to day. No one seems to know what it is or if it will/can go away.  I am bi-racial and it shows up significantly.  I don't like wearing anything above my ankles because of how it looks.  Should I go to a dermatologist or is there a home remedy?
I too get the same rash....everytime I went to Disney World....so we stopped at a Walgreens and asked the pharmacy.....they said it was the fertilizer that Disney used....that I was having an allergic reaction.....take Benedryl.....made sense since its right above the ankle sock.....not below it....or anywhere else.....I had walked on grass many times....Benedryl clears it right up
Hi Everyone,

My mother has the same thing - red rash, not raised, not itchy, right above the ankle on the inside lower leg. Worse on left than right. On the left it comes up to about the mid-calf (where a capri-length trouser might end). Guess where we were when it developed yesterday? You got it: Disney World!

It was very hot and we were walking around the Magic Kingdom all day. She went on the small world ride but not much else with water. We didn't notice the rash until late afternoon. She put cortizone-10 on it when we got home but it didn't seem to  make any difference; now I've got her with her feet elevated and a cool cloth in the affected areas.

She said she got it once before under the same very hot conditions and this time the left leg is worse than the time before. This fits in with what's been said in this thread and the golfer's vasculitis thread.... She's going to try taking a benedryl now - I'll post back again if it helps her like it did a previous poster.

We can't get over the fact so many people here got this when they went to Disney!

I got this same rash the last three weekends when I was working at our local renaissance faire. I went to the first aid station and was told they see it a lot. It's a reaction to something that is put down on the ground (cant remember if it's fertiziler or something to keep dust down since we don't have concrete. Just dirt and gravel paths). Not everyone gets it and they suggested using Gold Bond on the area beforehand to prevent it and afterwards if you have already gotten it.

Hope that helps :)
I too got these same symptoms last week after spending 5 of my 10 day vacation at WDW.  I did see my physician when I returned, and was told that he sees this same thing about a dozen times a summer.  He said all of the patients were at a amusement park, and had spent longer than is usual for them walking and standing in excessive heat that they are also not used to.  He said it occurs because of the heat radiating from the concrete/black top which you are standing and walking on for long hours.

I treated mine with ice packs and elevation.  It got much better after a couple of days.  My physician said that is the best treatment, but would prescribe Predinizone if it returns.  Mine is almost gone, but I am back in all day air conditioning, and not standing or walking in the heat.

Hope this helps.
I have never been to wdw but I work in a factory that is extremely hot and humid. I have developed a rash on both legs right above my socks that goes up my legs right below my knees, my rash looks like a sunburn. my legs itch extremely bad where I could actually scratch my skin off, the right leg has swelled up right next to my shin bone, but I did not injure my shin bone. The pain is horrible and it wakes me up at night and my feet will actually tingle and hurt. I have never had these symptons before this summer.
So glad I found this thread as I am currently experiencing the same thing.
Spent 13 hours at Disneyland the other day.  That evening while waiting for my daughter and granddaughter to come off of a ride, my husband asked what was on my leg.  I had not seen it.  It looked terrible and freaked me out.  By the time we left the park a few hours later, it was on both legs.  Not itchy like some have reported by scary looking and my legs were very sore.

That was Saturday and today is Monday.  It has faded a little but still looks terrible.  I hope this never happens again!
Went to Animal Kingdom yesterday and sure enough, I got that awful rash again - from my ankle socks up.  It's redder than ever, burns when hot water touches it.  I started with cortisone creme last night, but no relief yet.  I'm going to try benedryl and gold bond powder now.  I'm the only one in my family and friends who gets this - and I live in Orlando.  It's so crazy . . .
i posted this under Golfer's Vasculitis but it applies to this thread. so i just thought i'd share here for all those moms (or dads although may be less frequent in men i think)
Its was good to find out it wasnt just me
I first developed this rash when i was 20 and slightly overweigt about 180lbs.  It developed in the evening after spending all day walking and waiting in long lines at Disneyland (first time i was there as an adult). I went to the first aid station and they say it was possible allergic reaction to dust perhaps when i was on thunder mountain they said. The pain was intolerable I cried. It was extremely HOT and painful. Red inflamed skin from what appeared to be a rash from above my ankles to just below the knee on both my calfs. i put cold wash clothes all night to try to keep pain at bay. In hindsight I should have taken ibuprofen to atleast dull the pain.  Anyway it did not reoccur until years later when i started going to Sea World more often. Same symptons as described in the forum after several hours of walking 6+. Now it can occur as little as 4 hrs of continuous walking/standing. I've tried wearing shorts, sandals, going on cool days, going in the evening, still same after a few hours of standing/walking. I even can feel the onset of it and try to immediately leave for home when i start feeling it appear. If i notice it quick enough and go home to elevate legs and ice it down the duration is minimal and a lot less painful.  Days when i go to disneyland and cannot just return home the pain can last up to 2 days and the redness takes about 3-4 days to dissappear.  I had not tried the ibuprofen but now after reading this forum I will definetly give that a try before and after such an outing. Sometimes you cannot just do anything about it such as disneyland trips which usually require an all day outing.  I hope some doctor can become interested in this enough to lead a research. The only reason I even looked up my symptons is because my daughter who is 11 years old but severly overweight has now developed this same rash. She went to Disneyland with a friend it was a very hot day and she was wearing long pants.  She was in so much pain. When she come home I iced it down but she had never gotten that before. I did not imagine someone  like her could get this same irratation after prolonged activity. I took her to doctor and they blamed allergy irritation. She is 11 but she weighs as much as I did when i was 20 yrs old so i thought it might be related to weight as also now i am 33 yrs old and overweight. But after reading these post it does not seem to be age or weight related.  As active even underweight adults can develop it.   I like janieann's post I think there may be association with our body temp as it appears it does not matter wheather the weather outside is cool or hot. If we are doing activity that is raising our internal temp  and we have some genetic proneness to it that other people do not that is why only some people and not others experience it.

My plan of attack will be
1. Take 1 dosage of Ibuprofen before start of activty.
2. Drink lots of water throughout activity
3. Stay cool as much as possible. Fan/spray water on head and legs (arms too no? might as well lol)
4. Get off my feet. SIT/lie as often as possible and cool backs of legs with cool water or water soaked cloth.
5. If irration becomes visible its too late.immediately take iboprofen and head home :((
6. Ice down and sit/lie down until it resides :((

I will try this next time Im due for an 4+ hour outing with the kids. hope it helps someone that enjoys golf more frequently but maybe they should rename this to some other name as it could be very difficult to get the word out that it happens to people who do not golf and not elderly.  I was 20 at the onset and my daughter 11.  I liked Disney's Rash  lol  or how about walkers rash? amuzement park rash? travelors leg rash?  sorry for the long post.
I just came from Alton Tower a big UK ride park and I observed the red patches on my inner leg on the top of the ankles – slightly itchy and burning – searching on Internet I found your blog. I was wearing long jeans, ankle socks, the temperature was 20 degrees Celsius, I am overweight and I walked almost nonstop for 4 hours. I went in a ride with water but did not have water contact. I made pics with it and I will wait to see how is evolving. Thank you for posting, it is quite calming to find other people had same symptoms.
I felt so much better after finding this thread!  We call my rash the "Big E" rash.  I live in New England and we go to the Big E every year which is where I first got this rash.  Lots of walking and heat...  this seems to be the common thread I see.  It seems that I get this rash every fall - primarily Sept. - which is when all the local fairs start.  It also happened to me in Sept. a few years back when i went to the Adirondack car show at Lake George.
The first time it happened, I made the mistake of itching the rash, not knowing what it was.  I seriously aggravated the situation by touching the rash and it was so painful by the next day that I could barely walk on the leg I had itched.  I ended up in the emergency room surrounded by every intern they had and not one of them had a clue.  Where'e "House" when you need him?  the conclusion was a dermatitis rash and keep my feet up.
I can feel the rash coming on.  Once I feel the slight tightness in my calves, I know I'm doomed.  Like everyone else, legs up, cool compresses and don't touch!  The first time I touched the rash, i looked like a bruised piece of fruit.  You could literally see where my fingerprints left marks as i tried to figure out what was going on with the rash.
I will keep checking this thread to see if any new info pops up, but I am so glad so many of you have posted all this helpful info!
I finally found others who have experienced the same thing I have. My encounters with this rash have been at the Minnesota State Fair. I call my rash the State Fair Revenge. It starts at the ankle and works its way up the calf to about the knee. Sometimes it doesn't itch or burn and other times it does. Sometimes it resembles hives and other times it is just deep deep red and blotchy like "broken" capillaries. I was glad to read about what Disney World first aid station workers said about the heat coming up from concrete causing this. The first time I had this phenomenon I went to my MD and he thought I had blood poisoning. Of course all labs were negative or normal. In 4-5 days the rash always disappears. I seem to get this even if I am wearing long pants and the weather is cool. So I suspect the long day of walking is also a factor. I just know in a few days it will go away. We are a resilient , however!
It's called pressure spots and it developes in people who are on their feet a lot (for instance I have it because I am a Paramedic and work the crazy shifts, run, walk, and lift in the steel toes all day). Physiologically speaking it is basically you have wear and tear on your joints and it is result of tissue inflammation around the joint.
I have to say I am surprised that so many people have this same problem. Well I just got back from Las Vegas on Vacation and I also got this rash on my lower legs and this was not the first time. The first time happened in NYC in Central park then it happened again when I went to Bush Gardens in Tampa. It doesn't itch or anything like that but I for sure felt that I was very ill until my boss came across the walking rash and I began to read and realized that this is what I have. Now I am for sure going to check with my doctor just to make sure. I feel so much better. I was really getting worried because I have RH negetive blood and I was thinking my blood type must make me have this rash (LOL). I am sure that it is caused from the heat and walking alot in one day. Well thanks for all your comments.
I had this same problem this weekend I was on my feet all day helping out at a wedding in Dixon, Ca. the weather was very nice.  The next day went over to San Francisco to see Blue Angels and walked and stood in lines all day.  Sunday night on the way home we were on the Ferry and my ankles started itching and feeling bad.  I showed my family, my mom says she gets it all the time and its fron walking.  Monday morning I called the advise nurse.  She asked me all kinds of questions about it.  She replied take benedryl.  I told her I have a perscription of Hydroxyzne 50 mg. Which is for itching, the only drawback is it makes you sleepy.   I also have a perscription of Loratadine 10 mg. which is for allergies.  She said to take both, put feet up, put cold compresses and soak feet and legs in baking soda water (cool water) or use aveeno in water.  I woke up on Tuesday and my rash is almost gone, my legs are still bothering me a bit, but I am staying off my feet again today.  I am overweight also.  My mom says its just a heat rash and it will go away.  Try my remedies and see if they will help.  If you can't get the perscriptions try benedryl and Ibuphopion and put your feet up and use cool compresses.
I was a little concerned but after reading the posts I feel it is nothing. I live in SW Florida and exercise (Naples Bootcamp) outside in the grass. Guess it is just the heat and humidity.
BAD CIRCULATION! THIS could be really serious!  blood not circulating right with being swollen could = BLOOD CLOT!  See a doctor....all of you please! I am a PE survior. Don't take this lightly!
My goodness, I just looked up on Google for an possible explanation of the red rash I got on the inside of my ankles and lo and behold, if I don't find this site. I am blowed away because I too was a Disney World last week Tues. and Wed. We went to Magic Kingdom on Tuesday and EPCOT on Wed. and that's when the rash appeared. And yes we walked alot too! I can't believe this! Then Thurs. thru Monday, we were on a cruise in the Bahamas, and walked alot on the shore excursions in Nassau. Unbelievable. This is a medical mystery, if I ever saw one! Disney Rash!
Allie, Ontario, California
This doens't just happen at Disney, so don't cancel your vacation yet :). I get this problem OFTEN when I walk a lot outside in muggy weather. And now that I think on it, mine also usually occurs while wearing long pants (brought up by a previous commenter). Although...I do have to admit. I did take a job with an amusement park this summer, and the rashes did show up on more than one occasion! Theme park conspiracy theory? ...self-sabatoge? I think not :) I ALSO live in the Southeast, like Florida. And although fun parks are the perfect place for FAMILY, the long walks and warm summer days seem to be a breeding ground for our strange skin condition. In case anyone's wondering, my continual on-site research leads me to believe in the running theory that our rash is weather related. As our current park season has cooled down and become less humid my "Mugg Bumps" have been hesitant to show. But is it preventable? Always wear shorts? It's worth a try. I still have yet to find out an exact diagnosis. My scientific mind will continue to expand on the theory, while I enjoy my much nicer Autumn days and rash free legs.. for now.
i get this rash that yall descibe but i get it when i wear long socks, when i take a shower, and when my legs are exposed to un for too long. but its a burning, painful,itchy sensation. and it looks like my pores on my legs are bleeding.
At last I am not alone - thought I was the only one to suffer from Disney Legs.  Returned from Florida yesterday after 2 week holiday spent 4 days at disney parks and it happened straightaway - this happens every time I go to Florida (been going 10 years now) and I too was told its the extreme heat reflecting back off the ground!!. I am the only person in my family this happens to. Its so unsightly and uncomfortable and at times sore to the touch and looks like bleeding under the skin like burst capillaries.  I saw a pharmsist  who advised hydrocortisone cream and keep legs up but no one seems to have proper diagnosis.  Holiday carried on to the Keys, Fort Myers and Clearwater and whenever I walked anywhere it flared up again.  I have also had it very mildly when skiing in France- don't know what to make of that!!  I love my holidays to Florida and have now just accepted that this is what I have to put up with if I want to visit Mickey Mouse!!
My case is slightly different.  I badly bruised my left shin while boating and swimming in the San Juaquin Delta on Labor Day.  I developed a painfully bruised shin bone and large hematoma at the point of impact.  

The entire lower left leg also became red and hot.  The doctor said it was all related to the hematoma, and gave me a tetanus shot and anti-biotic to eliminate any secondary infection.

Well, it has been two months and the swelling and hematoma are gone. However, the hot and red area has NOT diminished, and is still hot, red and itchy over the entire lower left leg, and occassionally weeps.

I have been applying OTC anti-bacterial and anti-fungal creams and hydrocortisone daily. What else is going on that keeping the leg hot and red??  Did I pick up a nasty bacteria from the Delta water, that only
affected the lower left leg, even though I had my entire body in the water?  HELP!!
Can't believe these posts. I have the same rash happening...i am in Disney World searching the internet for answers while doing laundry at Ft Wilderness! I am concerned about going back to repeat a 4th day of extreme walking in the parks today. Noticed the rash last night. Have never had this before. Been to Disney many times.
I just got back from Orlando Florida my boyfriend and I both got this mysterious itching around the ankles!!
Im from Georgia and I know this itch anywhere!!! I'm convinced it's "chiggers"!!!! The best remedy is put clear fingernail polish over the bites and try very hard not to scratch yourself to pieces.
Just moved to Florida.
Yesterday was the hottest day in December this year.
I spent the day at Hollywood Studios.
While I am overweight, I walk or run 3 miles every day and am quite active.
I wore an mid-calf length skirt, & no socks.  The rash starts above my ankle, and ends around my skirt hem.  The rash is mostly prominent on my inner legs, but not so much on the out sides of my legs.    
I did sit on the curb as we ate our lunch, and later on the curb while waiting for a parade.  Wondering if everyone on this post sat down on a curb or the ground at some point for a parade perhaps?  
It does seem irregular that so many people share the exact same symptoms, and it is simply 'heat reflection' related.  
Thanks for the posts - it has been very informative and helpful to read to keep my panic at bay.  
I have been having this problem for a few years now. I get it when traveling to any tropical place with weather ranging in 80-90 degrees. Reading many of these posts it seems like I have the very same symptoms; rash in lower leg mostly inside and closer to my calves. From time to time i get it on my fingers and hands as well. They usually start with several scattered bumps on the 2-3 day of my trip and get progressively worst, i.e the bumps become more condense and it almost looks like a large patch. I have had these recurrence problem in Hawaii, Thailand, Cambodia, Costa Rica, and Caribbean Islands. I use a topical cream (prescription only) called Clobetasol Cream 0405 which helps quite a bit with the itching and swelling. So this creamhas become a must item in most of my trips. However this is only treating the symptoms and not finding the cause. I would like to know if there is anyway to stop this skin condition when travelling.I find this problem to also be somehow connected to the lower immune system, because in many instances it is followed by a cold/flu.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have the same rash.  It was first noticed on my lower right leg on the inside just above my ankle after my husband and I had spent the day in the water at Lido Beach, in Florida.  It went away within a few days.

A month later we went on a cruise and overnight it returned, in the same area, only much larger, bigger than a quarter.  It went away after about a week.

The next time it returned after I spent the day at Disney walking.  This time it spread to several places on my lower right calve and also began appearing on my left lower leg as well.  It doesn't hur, it doesn't it.  It will be slightly raised at first and then is just a flat, red/pink splotch.  I have been applying various things such as Lotramin, peroxide, antibiotic cream.  My hygene is very good and I wear clean clothing every day.  I am concerned that I came in contact with some bacteria at the beach.  I use an epil to remove hair from my legs which would have given the bacteria an easy access to get under my skin.
It's called Exercise Induced Vasculitis, or more commonly, Golfer's Vasculitis.   Just Google it for information.  There's a thread dedicated to it on MedHelp.
I have had this on several ocassions...I think it is just from walking alot and standing on your feet for long periods of time. I went to six flags this week and after being on my feet and walking for 9 hours. It goes away a few days. I wouldnt worry about it...It happened to me when I was in my 20's and now 40's.
really helpful post - just returned from Scoot
and am miserable!
I have gotten the ankle rash every time I have gone to Disney parks.  I noticed it first at EPCOT 20 years ago and the first aid station nurses called it "concrete dermatitis"  Ha.  I am a nurse and that struck me funny.  I ended up on other trips visiting a "doc in a box" doctor and would end up on a dose pack of steroids.  I actually would go to my home doctor and ask for some steroids in advance so I wouldn't have to take time out of my trip, if the rash came back.  It sure is an ugly looking thing.  

But over the years, I have encountered the rash at the beach once (walking in the heat of bike paths), in Italy in the heat (walking lots in the villages) and most recently on a cruise in Rome where we walked probably seven miles or more.  This last time, I had had long pants on.  And I still go the rash!  I am 55 and overweight but walk a lot.  I had no steroids, but had some steroid cream and antihistamines.  The rash was raised, hot and ugly.  Not what you want on a cruise!  So, I used the steroid cream and doubled up on antihistamines (you can during peak allergy season) and it went down in a couple of days versus a week or more without treatment.  

Don't know how to avoid it.  Walking is one key, heat another but prevention....not sure.
I'm just experiencing a similar rash & ankle swelling after having done a lot of walking in the heat on Sat.

I found you comment very helpful, but--what is heat fomentation?

Thanks!
hi - i went to universal and disney over july 12th, 2012. we walked all day friday. i woke up sat. am and had the rash. no swelling or burning and walked all day sat. went home and used steriod cream and it got better.  it's now a week later and some rash has return not as severe. i saw something on line about mites getting under the skin and that white blood cells fight the infection (?).  will cont. to research.
I have experienced this rash. I did used different socks, long pants and work in the hospital environment.  It has been hot and humid in CA.  I have not been to Disney.  So, is it the long time being on my feet, dependent swelling of ankles?  What do we all have in common?  Is it a cleaning solution? Pets?  Genetics or age?  I also used benadryl and hydrocortisone creams to reduce the itch and redness.  Elevation of the legs will reduce the swelling.  Any commonality?  Just curious.
I have been going to Disney World or Universal Studios every year since I was in my teens and am now 45. I get the rash every time. I am not sure I believe it is from the heat off the ground, but would be more inclined to believe it is poor circulation and pooling in the lower legs breaking the blood vessels and causing the rash. It is hot at first, red and angry looking, then it starts itching. If you do not scratch it goes away faster. It usually darkens after a day and then fades after a few days. My theory is of course the walking you do at a theme park, but also the standing in one spot for so long waiting for your turn on a ride. No one else in my family gets this, and we are all walking the same and standing the same amount of time, but I have poor circulation in my lower extremities, ( inhereted this from my father and his mother). I believe that is why it happens to me and not everyone else in our party.
I think your answer is correct. Just got back from Disney with same thing.... first started about 10 years ago in Disney.... Since then the same thing happens if I am waling about an environment with lots of pavement... So the radiating heat seems to be the common denominator.
we have gone to WDW every year since 2003, sometimes several times a year...the first time I got the rash at my ankles was Dec 2007, but have gotten it every time since... one year on a May trip it got so bad that it was so inflamed and hot to the touch that I took a picture with my camera... I am (was ) a waitress for 20 years on my feet sometimes 11 hours a day without a break... when I went back to work I still had it and one of my regular customers who is an ER Doctor came in to eat.. I showed it to him and he said it looked like  petechia... now when I went to my family Doctor and told him about it he said he didn't think that is what it was (Funny part is my Doctor trained the ER Doctor) we haaven't been to WDW in 2 years this month.  After the last time I got it it left permanent marks on my legs above the sock lines (which is where it always appeared)  my Doctor said they are freckles ( I have never freckled) to me they are scarring... we go back in Dec it will be interesting to see what happens
I am just flabbergasted, but so thankful. I think my husband thinks I'm nuts. I wore jeans and sandals both times I went to Disney World last month: about 2-3 weeks apart. I got this same horrid rash above my sandals, which go above my ankles, and covering about 6 inches up my leg all the way around. What is it? Heat, abrasion of the jeans against it. I am intrigued by the Thunder Mtn post because I did ride that each time. I never walk on the grass though, so I am not sold on fertilizer. There must be something. A product. So weird. Thanks so much for helping me feel less freaky.
I am a Security Officer and have been for 7 years now. I work nights 12 hours shifts and yesterday during my shift I began to feel a burning sensation around my ankles. when i took my boots off , i noticed the reddness going up to my caffs. I still have it today and when i touch it it hurts feels like it burns. its been hot and humid this past days and im working at the Island. this is the first time this happens to me but i think it has to do with the heat.
I just got back from Disney in Orlando.  After going to Magic Kingdom, I developed the same type of rash described in the other posts.  This is the second time that I have had this type of rash.  The other time was two years ago -  went to Disney.
It would be nice to know what causes this rash.  After we left the park, one of the other families that were with our huge group called and said she might have a cause of the rash that she had seen on my ankles.  She said that while her family was walking along she noticed puffs of smoke coming out near the walking areas.  She heard that this smoke (spray) was used to keep the mosquito/insect population away from the people at the park. I don't know if this might be the cause of the rash, or is it from too much walking, high temps and humidity, and swollen ankles.
After such an injury related to the circulatory system, please do not try to treat your symptoms with over the counter remedies unless your doctor has adivsed you to do this. If your current symtoms (symptoms) are related to the injury (and based on the info you provided, they likely are), you need to see your doctor ASAP!!!! and stop with the multiple creams every day.  Excessive use of hydrocortisone, in any form, is not good for you for so many reasons, and using an antibacterial agent PROMOTES the growth of fungus.  You need to know the CAUSE of the redness.  You may even be causing it with your treatment.  PLEASE stop all this and see your doctor at least one more time and TELL YOUR DOCTOR what you have been doing.  If you don't trust your doctor, see another one ASAP.  If you do feel like your doctor is hearing what you say and is trustworthy, be sure that he/she fully understands how frustrating your ongoing symtoms (symptoms) are, and SAY so if you intend to go ahead with your own treatment plan.....which will at least give your doctor a chance to explain to you whether or not you may be injuring yourself, possibly causing permanent damage.  The key here is COMMUNICATION with your healthcare professional.  I can't stress enough how important it is for you to see a doctor or nurse practitioner for follow up with ANY symptoms that may be even remotely related to your injury two months ago.
I have found Lanacome helps with the pain of the spots on my legs.  Until we can find an answer, all the above is what I have heard....
I break out with a rash just above my ankles in the summer when I am at work. It can get really hot and I do walk a lot all day. It is not a raised up rash, just looks like blood under the surface of the skin. It does how ever have a slight tingling sensation. Is this a heat rash or what?
I had the exact symptoms you described recently this past two weeks myself. It started out as small red patches near both the bottom of both ankles so went to the dermantologist who said it looked a lot like tick bites so did a lyme test which came back negative but was given steroid creme and told to take a prescription of doxycyclyn for 10 days. Took the meds and was doing better then by the end of the week, felt an itching on the bottom of my legs which felt like something biting me and all of sudden these large red/brownish dots appeared all over my bottom legs so went to the ER...however they could not figure out what I had...One said Purpura, Vascullitus, and another possibly cellulitus....then did a bunch of blood tests...all came back normal. Now after continuing the medications...and went to the beach yesterday and got in the salt water...my legs look a lot better.  
I think there are separate issues at play here.  I believe that GV may be an explanation for the bright red, non-itchy variety, but my rash is thick raised itchy welts that are definitely an allergic reaction to something at DW.  I visit theme parks frequently, walk for long periods of time, and I never have this issue anywhere but at DW.  In fact, I have stayed at two different resorts at DW, and I have only suffered from this while staying at Port Orleans Riverside (twice).  I developed my rash after I used my shoe to rub a spot on my leg that was itchy.  From there it spread like wildfire on both ankles.  My rash has continued to get worse after arriving home and staying off my feet.  My lower legs are swollen, the rash itches and burns like crazy, I have huge hive-like bumps, but very little discoloring.  Topical Benadryl does not help the itch or swelling.  The only thing that helps is to take an oral dose of Claritin (that's what I had on hand).  This is acting more like poison ivy or a reaction to a pesticide, but I do not have pustules or blisters.  I did not go in the pool.  No one else in my family develops a rash like this.  I am young-ish at 40, the first instance was when I was 33.  The first time I developed it, I was wearing flip flops.  I made sure to wear shoes and socks this time; however, that didn't help, it just started at the sock line.  I would be interested to know where other people have stayed.  Between POR visits, I visited and stayed at All Star Music following all the same routines and did not develop a rash.  This is why I think it is a Disney issue -- specifically a resort issue -- and not GV.  I tried very hard NOT to rub my ankles with my shoes on this last trip, but standing in crowded lines made it impossible to bend over to scratch and I finally caved, much to my disappointment.  I will have to go see my doctor because it shows no sign of abatement after a few days at home.
We too had the same problem.. in Aug of 2012 for 10 nights we went to WDW and my 10 yrs. old daughter developed a rash on her lower legs...at Magic Kingdom. it got so bad that we had to wheel chair her out because she could not walk. And we went to seek medical help at Centra Care. There she received a steroid shot and was put on antibiotic's, we were bed ridden for two days at Pop Century, We thought it was the pool...NOW we just returned from a short 4 day visit to WDW during 11-15-13 threw 11-18-13, spent the first two days at Epcot and walk a lot but no rash, as soon as we went to Magic Kingdom...boom it happened and the weather was much cooler and to say the first two days at Epcot was drizzly and light rain...but as soon as the weather cleared and we went to MK it came out. We applied cortisone 10 and it helped and it finally went away a few days later. I have her Pedi on alert and I think my daughter will be going to a allergy specialist. seems as if there's something in the grass or ground there at MK causing this...also to mention we vacationed in Hawaii this summer for two weeks and we did a 2 mile hike up the diamond head crater to view Waikiki and my daughter did get a little bit of a rash on the lower leg area and it went away with the cortisone crème but it was nothing like the rash she just got at MK for one day. Hawaii was warm too in the mid 80's to 90 degrees...either its some kind of allergic reaction to some type of weed or grass or its something WDW uses on the grounds... or both. I wish WDW could make a statement about this...
We visited Disney World December 3 - 5, 2013. We did not stay at any of the resorts in Orlando. We stayed at a timeshare in Cocoa Beach.  We live in Northern California.

I developed this same rash the first day there.  I didn't notice it until later in the evening. We were watching the fireworks show at Epcot and my lower legs felt warm. It was dark, so I couldn't see my legs very well.  I had on long pants, ankle socks and tennis shoes, but they appeared to be red.  When we got back to the timeshare that evening and I removed my pants, my legs just above my socks and below my knees were bright red. They felt warm to the touch and tight, slightly swollen.  The next morning my son looked it up on the internet and found all of the posts regarding the rash, many of them from Disney World.  

My husband and son reminded me that a few years ago when we had visited Disneyland I had this same thing happen.  I had forgotten.  I believe it is related to our genetic makeup, lots of walking, time onour feet and heat.  It was in the low 80's, but we were on our feet for 8 to 10 hours.  I'm female, 55 years old and in pretty good physical shape.  It did not happen to my husband, son or daughter in law.

On one of the posts the individual used aloe vera gel, so I picked some up along with some knee high socks.  I also took some ibuprohen. We took a break the next day and it started clearing up some.  I also spent some time walking in the surf at the beach, hoping it would help to clear it up.  We went back to Disney World the next day and it came back, but not as bad.  We left two days later on a cruise and it was just about completely gone.

Sounds like something that some of us will just have to deal with if we plan to spend alot of time on our feet.

Theresa.... thank you thank you thank you! I was shocked at all the Disney incidents...like mine. You were so smart to consult Disney's first aid. I feel you have answered me, and that answer brought me peace of mind. Please know you have helped someone today.
I just came back from a 3 week  European vacation and same thing happened to me. Lots and lots of walking..LOTS...i developed the rash on one leg(around inside ankle area) and then the next  a couple of days later.  Lasted practically the whole trip. Weather was nice, not too hot. i flew back on Thursday night and by Fri/Sat rash was completely gone..??  Have been to Disney lots of times(live in FL) and this is the first time i get a rash. I was planning on going to Dr, but it is gone so googled it instead. seems to be common...and with no clear reason...
Just returned from Atlantic city developed the rash after walking on the boardwalk n the heat. Wasn't concerned until it spread. I have recently had a shoulder implant so that is what concerned me. I looked it up on the internet found golfers vasculitus and stopped worrying it has gone now I am home.
This is the best explanation I've seen in a lot of posts.  And, it is quite believable considering the fact that my first experience with the rash was during extremely hot days last month - in Italy!  So, I guess the Disney water and other park-related causes appear vindicated!