Dermatology Community
What is this bump on my lip? mucocele?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What is this bump on my lip? mucocele?

5911786?1279146083
i accidentally posted this question on someone else's thread, sorry for the repeat:

I have a bump on the inside of my lip, which is visible from the outside of my mouth.  It is raised up from the skin, and appeared about a week ago.  You can see a picture here:

http://www.lumpinmouth.com/2010/07/10/nastiest-mucocele-yet-help/#post0

I would estimate this is about 7mm wide and 6 mm tall.  

This is from about 5 days ago, since then it has stayed about the same size and gotten dark red on half of it from blood on the inside.  I went to see a doctor today, he said it could be a cyst that formed over a damaged saliva duct.  Also, he said it could possibly be a herpes sore.  I have no history of herpes and haven't kissed anyone in a few months.   It doesn't hurt at all.    My doctor said it is unlikely to be a wart; his basis for this was that it formed rapidly.  This thing kind of just popped up a week ago.    Do you have any idea what this could be?

He gave me a herpes medication 'Zovirax' (acyclovir)  and told me to try it for a week and also to apply compression to the bump with a warm towel 3 times a day.  I am going back in a week to have it checked out.  I have also read that evening primrose oil helps mucocele's go away, would you recommend using this?

Sorry for the lengthy messagee, i am just very worried.  I appreciate any help you are will to give.  

Mike