Dermatology Expert Forum
What is this growth around my anus?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

What is this growth around my anus?

Doctor, I have been reading what you have responded with to many other people here and you have said the only way to really see if something is HPV is to look at it.

Please take a look at the following picture:

http://www.78west.com/health.jpg

I do not know how long I have had these growths around my anus s I just decided to take a look last week.  I have had itching and bleeding during bowel movements for a very long time now but I never even thought to look.

I am a straight male so I don't know how I would have gotten an STD there.  I will be going to a doctor on Monday but I want any advice I can now, mostly because I am very very worried now that I actually see what is there.

If it is indeed HPV what sort of treatment can I expect to have?  Is there anything I should do before I get to the doctor next Monday?

Thank you ever so much.
=-

Yes, those are warts.  You don't have to have anal sex (or any sex) to get them.  They are usually treated by application of a plant resin called podophyllin, though other methods are available.  

I know it's disconcerting to be told you can just get things, but you can.  I'd advise you not to think about it too much--just get it done.  Several sessions may be needed, and your doctor may prescribe medication for you to apply at home between treatments.

Take care and don't lose any sleep over this.

Dr. Rockoff
Is this something can eventually be cured, or, is this the type that come back for pretty much the rest of my life, like it seems to be the case with HPV?

What types of warnings do I need to give my partners from here on out?  Can it be transmitted through sex?  When you say I dont need to have sex for something like this to be caught what other things could I have gotten it from?
It may come back, but not necessarily.  For complete answers to your questions, you need to see a doctor or other practitioner.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, growths was started.