What is wrong with my underarms?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

What is wrong with my underarms?

Here is my problem:

For several months now I have noticed a faint red ring encircling both of my armpits (one under each arm). I didn't think much about it until a trip I took a few weeks ago when I went swimming in the ocean. The entire time I was in the water I had a stinging/burning sensation in my armpits, and when I got out I looked and noticed that these rings were bright red (the pain went away after a while, and the redness faded after a couple hours).

I thought maybe my deodorant was causing this, so I bought some body spray deodorant to try (I usually use the rub on kind), and I sprayed it on today and it caused those rings to sting really bad for a couple minutes, but then the pain went away and it was fine. I tried putting some lotion on these areas in the past and that didn't seem to do anything.

Any idea what these rings are or how to get rid of them?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

These rings may be contact or allergic dermatitis secondary to the deodorant. This could have reacted with the salt water or the sunlight and caused a chemical reaction which could have led to the rash. I suggest that you refrain from using this deodorant or any deodorants at this point as this may cause further irritation. Wash the area well with a mild cleanser. If the rash persists , applying topical medications such as corticosteroids may be able to help.