What to do with cracked skin on Penis?
Ok this is so weird and embarassing...

If you might be offended please don't read on. I'm afraid to go to a real doctor about it.

The head of my penis is cracked also it's a bit red.  Also it looks like the rim of the head, or the ledge (I'm not sure what you call that) is also looking a bit strange and cracked. It looks otherwise normal except for the trail of cracked skin and redness coming from the opening and fanning out.

I believe it might be from ejaculation, because it seems to have only gotten very cracked in the area where the... stuff tends to fall through when I masturbate... In other parts of my penis, where the stuff usually doesn't go through the head is still normal and smooth.

I read from other users with similar problems to use Vaseline or skin lotion. So I used vaseline today but it's still cracked. Any idea how long I have to keep using it? Also do I just put it on and leave it there or do I wash it off after? (Vaseline has no instructions).

I can put a picture on if you need it. I didn't want to be offensive though.

Sexual history if it helps:

I have sex about two days of the week, with the same person (we only see each other on weekends), usually with a condom and I masturbate about 1-2 times a day and also my girlfriend usually masturbates when we have sex. I'm afraid because I've been masturbating 1-2 times a day since I was 13 and this is the first time it's happened. I'm 25 now.

This may be a case of balanitis. As this is related to your case, may I ask if you are circumcised?

Balanitis usually affects uncircumcised males and it usually affects the head of the penis. It is not necessarily a sexually transmitted condition but it is due to a fungal or bacterial infection in most cases. In your case, this may be a fungal infection or an irritant contact dermatitis.

Use Cetaphil to wash the area and avoid any lotions or creams. After washing, apply vitamin E cream over the area to keep it from drying.

Are there any cuts or abrasions in the area?

Any scaling or itchiness?
Ok thanks Dr. Lacuesta. That sounds bad.

I am circumcised.

Can I get Cetaphil and Vitamin E at the drug store?

There are no cuts or abrasions. (although it does feel a bit sensitive and itchy).

Scaling, well not sure what you mean by that, but it is all cracked and red (it kind of looks like scales). It didn't used to itch, but it's itching a bit today, it also got a little redder. (I think because I was biking yesterday...).

Ok, based on what you have posted ,if there is associated redness and some cracking, then this may be scaling. I suggest you seek consult with your dermatologist with regards to this. It is important that this be assessed so you may be prescribed appropriate medications.

I think I have mentioned of a possible  fungal infection here. If this is a fungal infection, then you may need antifungal creams for this.
Thanks Doctor. It kind of sucks, but thanks for the help. Are all those medications available by prescription only?
Hi.

The vitamin E creams and cleansers may be available OTC. There are antifungals available OTC but I do not recommend that you self medicate here. The penile skin is very sensitive and applying inappropriate medication may only worsen he problem.

Is a consult with a dermatologist not feasible at the moment?

A consult is necessary. Firstly, a fungal infection has to be established. A microscopic evaluation of skin scrapings will readily help differentiate this from other skin conditions.
Well I'm a law student. And I'm in the middle of a writting competition. Also I'm supposed to be flying around different countries all over the summer for some programs, and I haven't been able to get all my visas, so my schedule is really tight.

I went to the drug store to see if they had any of your suggestions, but it was a bit late and the pharmacy window was closed. I couldn't find Cetaphil, or a topical vitamin E. I did see a section with lots of anti fungal products and "jock itch" products.

Would something like Lotrimin work?
Hi Doctor, I had a few  more questions:

How important is it that I go see a doctor? Will this get a lot worse? I've tried to not touch it and keep it as clean as possible. Is this the kind of thing that will go away with time if left untreated? Will it get a lot worse?

I can go see a doctor, but it will eat up a lot of time that I could really use.
Hi doctor, I was looking at some pictures of Balanitis online.

What I have seems a lot more mild. There's very little redness and the skin looks more wrinkled than anything else. Essentially it looks normal except kind of wrinkly, or perhaps scaled and slightly red. The itchiness is also really mild. (That's why it took me a while to even realize something might be wrong).

I'm going to see if I can find a doctor to go to, but the problem a lot of doctors wont accept my insurance plan (It's from Puerto Rico).
Sorry about all the posts... I'm pretty nervous about this :-P

I think I repeated some of my questions too.
hello doctor i need help
I am a married man.upto one year we had good intercourse..recently she had a abortion..after that when we intercourse she get pain n bad smell coming from vagina.and moreover every time I have getting cracks on my penis.am not circumcised.now I can't open my foreskin.now I can't intercourse every day.applying belly but still cracks coming..please give a reply
I am not a doctor or EMT etc.  I just have some good old fashioned experience.  I suggest a few possibilities:
1)Your ejaculate can cause a change in your wife's PH and cause a smell.  If you masturbate and do not clean well does it smell?  Found that out the hard way.
2)Yeast infection.  This could be from antibiotics, lets say, for an abortion.
3)Perhaps your wife has developed an infection from the procedure.  Cramps or Discharge?  I suggest seeing a physician.
Please, be cautious and safe.