White Flaky Patches/Skin Discoloration
My husband has been dealing with this condition for months.  It started suddenly.  He developed white patches on his face that seems to be very flaky.  The patches start out with a pinkish color and then turn white and flaky, after they are gone his skin is left a few shades lighter in the affected area.  It is starting to spread to his scalp and behind his ears.  He went to a doctor to get it treated but the doctor said it might be a yeast infection.  He applied the creams the doctor prescribed it, but it only gave him temporary relief.  He has been using extra virgin coconut oil on the affected areas and that really seems to help him, but it eventually comes back.  Is there anything he can do to completely get rid of this?  I'm hoping for something that will kill it at the roots!!
It is difficult to diagnose any skin lesion without being able to see the lesions. Hence it is important for you to consult a dermatologist for proper treatment.

Dry flaky patches on the face/scalp can be due to seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff), infection (fungal, tinea) eczema or psoriasis.
Changing color (skin darker or lighter than normal can be seen in a superficial yeast infection (tinea versicolor). The treatment is antifungal creams/shampoos which are effective in such conditions.
Since the condition has persisted for months, (and is recurring!) you should consult a dermatologist who would diagnose and prescribe treatment for you.
Regards