White Lesion on Shaft of Penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

White Lesion on Shaft of Penis

Hello Dr. Rockoff,

I notice a white lesion on the shaft of my penis.The area of white skin is slightly elevated all around the edges on the shaft of my penis. It is spherical in shape and it is not rough on the surface. It is not itchy nor painful.

I went to see a dermatologist.He said it could be a wart (then afterwards he said it was most likely a wart when I asked him what could be the other options if it were not a wart) but said that it was flat on the surface.

The dermatologist carried out nitrogen freezing on the "wart".

But I am still a bit confused because he said it could be a flat wart.. But I understand that flat warts occur on the hands and the face. Is it the same type of HPV virus that causes flat warts on the face and the genitals? Is the "flat" genital warts the same type as the cauliflower type of HPV virus?

Do flat warts that commonly occur on the face and hands also occur on the genitals? I also understand that genital warts can be flat.

Will they appear again on my genitals after they have been treated with liquid nitrogen if indeed it was a wart? Will they appear at the same spot as previously?

How long will it take for my body to clear the virus?

Do Flat genital Warts cause cancer on the penis or is it a low risk type that does not cause cancer?

Thank you.
Ashwin

This discussion is related to Warts Transmission.
Yes it is possible to have flat warts on the hands. Warts are caused by the papilloma virus and they may be transmitted through direct skin to skin contact. The common warts present in your hands may have an increased chance of spread since the hands may usually hold or touch the area. Biopsy of the lesion can help in confirming the diagnosis.
I suggest you to get an evaluation and biopsy done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Doctor,

I had a second opinipn for the white lesion on the shaft of my penis. The dermatologist said it was a genital wart. The dermatologist did freezing on the wart.

Will my immune system eventually clear the virus out of my body? And if so, after how long?

When the virus is cleared, is it still transmittible to mt future partner?

Thank you.
Ashwin
HPV can lay dormant for years. There is no way to get completely rid of the virus. The risk of transmitting the virus is highest when there are visible warts, transmission can be spread when no outward signs of HPV are present. I hope it helps. Take care and regards.