White Patch and Hairs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

White Patch and Hairs

My son who is 3 years old has around 30 white hairs and the skin below the hairs is also white. May i know what is d cause and the remedy and which specialist should i refer ?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
A single strand of grey hair may not be serious and is usually not worrisome if the child’s general health is normal. But your child is having around 30 which definitely needs evaluation.Vitmain b12 deficiency can lead to white hair. An abnormal thyroid level is another possible cause. Other childhood disorders like vitiligo, tuberous sclerosis, and neurofibromatosis can also cause white hair. You should seek the opinion of a dermatologist who expertises in dealing with Pediatric patients. Keep me posted.
Good luck and regards!
Thank u so much ...We went to a dermatologist yesterday and he said it is vitiligo (this is scary in our culture) and the chances of getting treated is about 35 %; given an ointment to apply. To have a second opinion we went to an another dermatologist he said it is not vitiligo and is 100 % curable this may be because of thyroid / liver problem and suggested LFT and thyroid tests.

Now am totally confused what to do, what all tests (another than the mentioned above) should we do so as to know the actual cause. Is there any tests / specific symptoms for vitiligo ?