White Spots on Arms and Hands?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

White Spots on Arms and Hands?

Hey forum users,

Throughout this Summer I've developed a sizable number of white spots (tiny white circles, less than 1cm) over my hands and arms [including the forearm and upper arm]. These white spots are very pale and sometimes have a tiny red dot of pigmentation in the center. I have a very fair complection myself but this is the first time I've noticed something like this happening. I don't seem to have them anywhere else on my body. I originally put it down to sun exposure but now I am not so sure considering I work in an office from 9-5 and am not especially exposed to the sun throughout the day. I probably should mention that I've been under a particular amount of stress this Summer so that may also have been a contributing factor. I was worried it may have been due to some kind of viral infection but the fact that has remained over a period of about 8 weeks probably rules that out.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had something like this or if they can give me any idea as to what it might be.

Thank in advance for your help and advice
Most likely photodermatosis, but then tinea versicolor a distinct possiblity.
It can be due to tinea versicolor or idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis. Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis is characterized by flat white spots found on the shins and forearms. It may also arise on other sun exposed areas including the face, neck and shoulders. Usually nothing is to be done except sun protection. However if it is tinea versicolor then topical antifungals like Selsun or Nizoral shampoo help.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.