Dermatology Expert Forum
White Spots on Skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

White Spots on Skin

I have had a darker area of skin on the underside of my penis for as long as I can remember.  When I was about twelve, I started to notice white spots on the area.  In the last couple of years, the spots are turning into larger areas of white.  It also seems as though the white patches are developing on the head of my penis lately.  I am quite worried, what could be wrong!!

Grant
Grant:

Prabably not much.  You may have a touch of vitiligo, a condition in which skin loses its color.  For your own peace of mind, you ought to see a doctor about getting these spots evaluated.  There may not be much in the way of useful treatment, but at least you'll be able to stop worrying.

Best.

Dr. R
Last summer my 1-year old daughter came in from outside with red rings on her arm.  The skin was smooth to the touch but it looked like I should be able to feel a raised circle. At the time I thought she might be allergic to something in the yard. The redness went away and white circles remained.  Her pediatrician said that there was a lack of melonen and that it was commonafter an allergic reaction. There are patches of white skin still on her arm and now there are white patches going all the way up the underside of her right arm and under her armpit, not in it, but on her torso, and on her back, covering her right shoulder blade.  This seems to be spreading. What could this be?

Thank you,
Kathi C.
My ob/gyn dr. told me that I have vitiligo and had a thyroid test done on me. My father has low thyroid, but I don't think anyone in my family has vitiligo except me. I understand it is somewhat hereditary,carried in the genes; what are the chances that my children will get it? I have 3 daughters and a son on the way. I have noticed that it is more common in children, and this concerns me. Also, if I don't take treatment for it, will it cause any other health problems for me, or is it just a result of possibly thyroid problem or diabetes? I have been borderline diabetic through each of my pregnancies, but I understand this is somewhat normal to get during pregnancy,or at least more common. I don't have a very bad case of it compared to some photos I've seen, and consider myself pretty fortunate, also because I am fair-skinned anyhow. I have several white splotches on the backs of my hands, my thumbs have turned completely white and my fingers are about 1/3 of the way to having no more pigment in them. I also have bigger spots on the underside of my forearms, and a couple spots under my armpits, a couple spots on my shins and one on one of my breasts. So because it's mostly noticable on my hands and arms, I'm not sure I want to go through the risk of treatments. Trying to weigh the pros and cons right now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Laura
My boyfriend just showed me some spots through out his chest and back the spots are a lot lighther than his skin and I was worried about that what do you think that might be?
A related discussion, white spots was started.
A related discussion, Skin was started.