DERMATOLOGY
FORUM
White Spots
by AmyDiBart, Jan 31, 2004

I am a 23 year old female and I have had two small white spots on my nose.  They seem to be right above the nostril cartilage.  The white spots have been there a month and a half now and they won't tan over and seem to stand out more when I tan or put makeup on.  I saw my primary doctor and she said that it wasn't tinea versicolor.  She referred me to a dermatologist but he is booked up for another 2 months.  These spots are driving me crazy and I can't cover them up.  What are these spots and what can I do to make them go away??

Amy
Answer:
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, Feb 01, 2004
Tinea versicolor affects the torso, not the nose, so I agree it's not that.  I don't know what it is, though.  These may be small cysts (milia.)  In that case, the dermatologist can probably extract or cauterize them if you wish.  But you will need to show them to someone for definitive diagnosis.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Member Comments (7)
by sunnydays, Feb 06, 2004
Hello there i live in florida all my life. I tan alot when i was younger and for quite some years i have been seeing white spots all over my skin back arms breasts. But when i get hot or go out in the sun the white spots turn into red spots. And they itch bad. Their not crusty or any disgusting way, but they are driving me crazy. My father and my oldest brother had it as well. THe same exact thing. My dad went to his doctor and showed it to him and gave him a prescription selenium sulfuide. And it worked for him. And my brother but not for me. It calms it down my white spots are still there. The red spots where the white spots are only turns that way when i am in the sun or hot or irrated. Please help its driving over the edge. THank You so much God BLess
by bodySKATEboarder808, Feb 08, 2004
hello i am from hawaii, and i recently started getting these white spots on my back. the doctor said it was from the sun. he gave me loprox but that only helps the itching. the spots are spreading on my neck, arms and chest. it only itches on those areas. what do i do?
by woundedraven, Feb 19, 2004
I live in Suisun City, Ca. and have white spots all over my face. The left side is far worse than the right. Any time I go into the sun I have to avoid the sun PERIOD or I look like a freak.
I have been going to a dermatologist and he used a woods lamp the diagnosis was that it was sun damage and scaring from acne.
I did not have acne that bad and it started along time after the acne went away.
This problem has been going on for about 6 years now and it isnt getting any worse but it is not getting any better.
Now the doctor has prescribed a lightening lotion. I put it on where the white is not present so as to bleach the surrounding skin. Dont know how well that is going to work because I just started treatment.
I hope it works well.
by zoe alexandra, Mar 25, 2004
my little sister also has a pigmentation problem. The spots are not itchy for her but are all over her back, arms and chestal area. If anyone knows anything that she can do to get rid of the spots it would be a great help, as i sometimes get the spots too.
by In need of help, May 01, 2004
Hi, I am 22 yrs. old, and about two years ago I had a wedding, so I dediced to go tanning to one of those tanning salons. A few months later, I realized that there were some white spots on my back, not many but like 3 to 5 little ones on the center of my back, I thought it would go away if I tanned at the beach, but nothing. Now that summer is almost here i noticed that I have them all over my back, in different sizes too. They're NOT itchy, but I am worried that it would spread even more. What should I do, Is this curable? Please help.
by In need of help, May 01, 2004
by SandraD25, Sep 04, 2008
A related discussion, White Spots was started.