White spots on tan skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

White spots on tan skin

I have always tanned nicely with no problems. This year i went to a tanning salon about 10 times in the lowest bed for only 10 minutes each time. I noticed no problems on my skin. I have started tanning outside now that the weather is getting nicer, but noticed on my upper back, shoulders, and now spreading to my upper arms that there are white spots. What is this and how can I fix this?
The symptoms are suggestive of tinea versicolor. Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities.Treatment involves topical and oral antifungal medicines.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.