Whitehead pimple on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Whitehead pimple on lip

I had a small whitehead pimple appear directly on my lip. It stayed there for about 2 months or so. I got sick of it and popped it (probably a bad idea). But I dont think I got all of it because I was scared to press too much. So it went down for a moment and now its back and bigger than before. How does a pimple even come appear on the lip? I have never had a pimple on my lip and I have never seen it. Should I be worried? Any home remedies to get it to go away?
Tags: Whitehead, Lip

It is unlikely that this is a pimple in the true sense of the word, but it does seem that you be having some kind of partially healed infectious lesion on the lip.

The healing and then the removal and thereafter partial healing may have caused these lesions and it is not uncommon to see them, usually when the natural process  has been stopped in between.

The body should be allowed its ow course, avoid itching and scratching and use OTC medications such as anti-infective creams in your case for this lesion.

Hope this helped.
That can happen pimples do do that sometime.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.