Why Do I Have Discolored Lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Why Do I Have Discolored Lips

I am 50-year old African-American woman. When I was 3 yrs. old, I fell with a popsicle stick in my mouth causing a dark spot to appear on my bottom lip. My mother took me to my pediatrician and he tried treating me with penicillin, but it did not work.

At age 13, I started wearing lipstick to cover up my discolored lips. Over the years, I have consulted several dermatologist and none were able to tell me why my lips are discolored or how to treat them to remove the dark spots.

My lips hare pink with brown spots with the darkest brown on my lower lip spreading towards the innermost part of my lip. I would like to stop wearing lipstick, but my lips draw the attention of others. I want my lips to be either all pink or  all brown.

What do you think has caused this discoloration? Is there a natural remedy that can rid my lips of the discoloration? Please advise.
your lips are beautiful just how they are. No need to cover them. be proud of them. you are different and unique. that's something to be proud of. Otherwise, i wouldn't know what you should do. unless you tattoo your lips a different color. have a great day
Thank you for your encouragement. I am trying to get "there". Earlier this year, I stopped wearing lipstick; however, whenever I look at my lips in the mirror I see them as UGLY.

Typically, I live my life as naturally and comforably as I know how with the exception of my lips. I would like to believe it is just my perception and that no one else gets to vote on my beauty.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
3 years back my lips are so coloured like rose and seen beautiful as much my natural. After that it became white and look ugly. Give proper advice

regards
jai