Dermatology Community
Why are my hands peeling?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Why are my hands peeling?

Female, 20yrs.
Ok I got out of the shower this morning and dried my hands. I realized that both of my hands were completely peeling; fingers, palm, everything. Even a little on my knuckles. I haven't been using any cleaning chemicals or anything. My mom thinks it’s because my cat's kitty litter, but I ruled that out because I've had my cat for a year and this hasn’t happened before...
It’s not itchy, it’s not red, there's no pain or little bumps. It’s just very bothersome to look at and feel.
The only thing I'm allergic to is penicillin and dust. It doesn't look like eczema or a rash. It looks like a peeling sunburn without the redness and stinging.
I like to know what it is and possible treatments or at least home remedies other then cocoa butter lotion.
Thanks =)
Tags: Skin, peeling
209987_tn?1334790318
Exfoliative keratolysis is an excessive peeling of the skin on the palm of the hands.The condition is preceded by an outbreak of air-filled blisters across the fingers and palms, which may be caused by eczema.
The blisters can be so small that you won't even see them.
The peeling of this condition typically does not include itching and can be further irritated by exposure to irritants such as soap and detergents.

This is generally cured by prescription creams.

Another possibility is that your mom is right.
That it is caused by the cat litter. Cats can carry ringworm fungi.

This would also need a prescription cream.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank