Why is my hair twisting itself around my head?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

What would cause my waist length hair to retract back into the scalp and tightly twist itself around and around my head?  My scalp is sore and bumpy.  When the bumps open, there is whitish waxy tangled hair in there.  I was checked for lice, but it is not that.  I have not cut my hair in three years because it has "shrunk" up to my shoulders.  When I unwind the hair strands they just seem to re-cement themselves to my scalp overnight,  I am scared. Please advise.
Tags: hair, scalp
I've heard of this before...many years ago...seems to me that the woman had some sort of insect infestation. It was a spider type insect.
They thought it was lice at first too. After seeing a bump on her head move they lanced it to find this spider like insect on her head.

Another reason for this to occur is due to tight braiding, and over-use of hot oils on the hair.
Sometimes men ( or women ) who wear hats on a constant basis can have something like this happen.
People with curly or wavy hair sometimes have a problem like this.
Excess sebum, which is composed primarily of fatty acids, can cause the hair to stick together.

From what you have described though ( from the bumps and wax description ) it sounds like ingrown hair.

Have you used Keratin in your hair? Apparently this makes things worse.

There are medications available from your doctor to help with the ingrown hairs.
I would check with a good hairdresser and see what they have to say first.
This is happening to me too.  Especially when I put certain shampoos or dye my hair.  One time I thought I had ruined my hair with a box of temporary dye.  I seriously thought the hair had broken off and rinsed down the drain, it was so short.  Then, it magically untwisted itself when I dried it.  So freaky, I know no one will believe me.  It does scare me.
I have been suffering with my hair retracting back into my scalp  for over a year.
I am driving my family crazy with my constant pulling on the ends to lengthen the strands.  Does anyone have a similar experience?  I would appreciate any advice you have. Puller111
i too have been suffering from the same thing...i pull the hair up it resticks..it itches with bumps..but i have stood in front of a mirror while pulling it up..i have seen little nats fly out of my hair, ive been to 3 to 4 drs who think im nuts. one dr did prescribe a selsuin shampoo..it does help some..