Why is my scalp (at the crown) suddenly very oily?
I read other responses to a similar question.  I'm in my 40's and have always had normal hair.  About three days ago, this oily thing started.  First day, I washed my hair, conditioned it and dried it only to discover that the hair at the crown of my head was grossly oily.  I figured I over-conditioned it, so the next day I used conditioner only at the bottom of my hair.  Same problem.  Today, same problem.  Thinking back, the only thing I've done differently is to use Nice 'n Easy hair color instead of L'Oreal but this was about 10 days ago.  Although, I must admit, my hair was too dark and I used Dawn dw liquid and then Pantene Clarifying Shampoo to try and fade the color faster - both pretty stressful to hair.  Any ideas from folks with the same problem?  Does this go away??

This discussion is related to suddenly oily hair that won't correct.
something else worked with me, baby shampoo!! give it a try (:
I too had this oily/sticky/waxy spot show up on the crown of my head suddenly. I first thought that I was missing the spot while washing my hai, but after two days I realized this spot was not going away.  When I googled and found so many people have had this same thing happen, I was SHOCKED!   I am a 29 female and have never had this happen before.  I have oily skin/hair naturally, but nothing like this spot.  I decided after reading several posts to try the Tea Tree Shampoo and Listerine combo...I used Amercian Crew Tea Tree Shampoo and 3 caps of genric Listernine.  I left both in my hair for several minutes before washing out, and it worked 100%.  The spots is gone...thank you everyone!!!
I am a 20year old New Zealander and have never heard of anything like this before. A couple of weeks ago i noticed an oily patch at the back of my head and it is driving me insane. I always get comments on how beautiful and soft my hair is but this is disgusting. I am having to tie my hair up which probaby isnt helping the situation but there is no way I am leaving it down with that oily patch for everyone to see. I am so glad I have found this page and will go to the chemist in my lunch break to try and get something to help. I am starting to itch at the thought of it being a fungy. Has anyone managed to get rid of the oil for good or does it always come back at some stage? I dont want this for life! Maybe we could all shave our heads for cancer?
I had this same problem and it started one day about 5 years ago.  It took about 6 months, but I finally found a remedy and it is LUSH shampoo 2000.  The first time I tried it it worked! It looks almost like a salt scrub, but it is for your hair.  I can not use any form of liquid shampoo, so the tea tree shampoos and other suggestions only make the crown of my scalp worse.  If you have tried everything else and they haven't worked I strongly suggest trying LUSH!! its a bit expensive, but honestly worth it.
Hi Everyone,
    This happened to me yesterday for the first time in my life (I'm 27) and have the exact same thing everyone is describing (waxy, sticky, disgusting substance right on the crown of my head). I showered and blow dryed it, left the house and a little while later touched my hair and got really confused. The ends were soft, as usual, and the top was gross. My husband said he saw it when I was blowdrying but just assumed I had missed a spot since it looked wet and didn't say anything. I am relieved (and sad) that so many people experience this. I thought for sure I'd google it and find no one. Since yesterday I have washed my hair twice, to no avail. I am now sitting in a chair with the vinegar solution on my head and a shower cap. I will do this for a few more minutes until I see if we have palmolive to add to it. I too have had no change in diet, no acne... I went off of birth control 10 months ago, so that shouldn't be it. The only other strange symptom that could be related is that my wedding ring finger lately has been red, irratated, scaly, and dry. I have not been able to wear my wedding rings for over a month because of this. I've tried fungus cream on it for the recommended 7 days, hydrocortizone, antibiotic, etc and not much works. My finger had me distressed as I can't wear my beautiful rings and am newly married, and now my hair problem is every further distressing!! :*( i am going to try these options and then finally give in and make an appointment with a doctor if nothing works. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED - i feel so much less alone at least. good luck to everyone with finding a solution that works!
Hi Everyone,
I have the same problem once a year every winter. And I just found a product that took care of it!! I got it at Target. The brand name is Shea Moisture. The product is Purification Masque with plantain enzyme, tea tree and willow bark extract, Organic African Black Soap. For Dry Itchy Scalp, Dandruff, Eczema and Psoriasis. (I literally just copied the entire top label) Its organic, which is awesome! I just put it in at the beginning of my shower, left it on till the end, then rinsed it out and washed my hair like normal. Voila! I was sooo excited! Vo5 HotOil used to work for me, so you can try that too, but it wasn't cutting it this year for me. Hope this helps someone! :)
Ladies, I have had this problem on and off for the past couple of years, there is only one thing I have found that works at all. Wash your hair with a good claryifying shampoo, I've used RPR and KMS they have both worked for me and instead of conditioning your hair, pour 3 capfulls of the brown coloured Listerine mouthwash over the affected area. leave if for a few minutes and then rinse. It will probably tingle a bit, thats normal, when you dry your hair you'll notice that although its not 100% better it is an improvement, if you do this daily it should clear up in a week or two.
hope this helps!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_gland

Hello all - My boyfriend suggested it could be the Sebaceous gland!! I read the above link (to be honest it was a lot to take in, and I still dont quite understand it) but some of you clever people may know what they are talking about??  I am on day three now, and my hair looks and feels horrible, and I too coloured my hair on Sunday (four days ago) with Nice and Easy!  I have to say, I really do think it's normal changes that will need controlling with clever products, but I will try all of the suggestions and hope to control it some how.  Just makes you feel extra grubby when you are already feeling "not that gr8" :(  Good luck to all x x x x
I have had this oily crown for 2 days straight, I am 49, never had this before and I have normally very dry hair.  I have used Nice and Easy conditioner for 1 week straight after highlighting my hair w 3 nice and easy colors - I think nice and easy conditioner (I used red, and then blonde), that came with the hair colors. After reading this blog and seeing others having this problem after using nice and easy, I think the pattern may be due to the conditioners or with the color. At least I am going to stop using them, and see if this clears up.
Hi Everyone, I wanted to leave a quick note to say that I had this a few months ago.  It was totally out of the blue and very disgusting!  I woke up, washed my hair and there was a horrible greasy mass on the crown of my poor little head.  I turned 30 last year, so I was thinking maybe it was hormones.  I still have no clue what caused this, but living with it for 3 days was enough to drive me mad.  I had found this blog and tried the Suave Clarifying shampoo and also bought the listerine.  I used the shampoo once and it worked like a charm!  I didn't have to use the listerine at all, but I have it now for any future outbreaks.  I use the shampoo about 3 times a week - just to prevent any more scary outbreaks.  I hope this helps you - it sure helped me!  THANKS!
Okay - I had the exact same problem - at first I thought it was from the huge amounts of conditioner and hair damage controller I was using as I was getting ready to re- perm my hair - but - after reading someone's post about possibly having a fungus, I started looking to see if I had dandruff etc - my hair is fairly healthy and quite long and I only but salon products. Well, I tried apple cider vinegar diluted with water, it helped but only made my hair frizzy - and maybe lasted for like a day. So I googled anti-fungal shampoo and came up with Nizoral which is sold in the pharmacy and also someone mentioned Paul Mitchell Tee Tree oil shampoo and conditioner - I bought all three. I showered this morning and added a small amount of the Nizoral and let it soak in. Then I did the Paul Mitchell Tee tree shampoo and conditioner - my hair which is normally dry came out even dryer but it was squeaky clean - I added Lanza leave in conditioner so I could get a comb thru - and it worked! I actually straightened my hair today and it looks great!  I hope this helps someone else on this forum :)
This is just an update on the products I used on Saturday (Nizoral and Paul Mitchell's Tee Tree shampoo and conditioner) so hair looked great all day (even straight) didn't wash it Sunday but did a ponytail and went for a 45 min run - on Monday I washed it with my normal shampoo and conditioner - looked great all day - went to the gym and had tan at the salon - still looking good - probably wont wash it tomorrow, but I plan on using the Nizoral one more time (along with my regular stuff) on Wednesday - I don't think I will use Paul Mitchell Tee Tree again (unless I'm desparate) as it really dried out my already dry and damaged hair. But if the Nizoral works and cured it - then I will be very happy indeed!
NIZORAL - it works!!! Washed my hair today without having to add Nizoral - just my regular shampoo and conditioner and a bit of Lanza Leave-In (to combat the dryness) No More Greasy Hair!!!! My scalp is squeaky clean - and I used my mousse and gel and did my hair as normal - I will continue with the Nizoral maybe once a week now for a few more weeks instead of twice a week. So happy to have my hair back to normal!!!
Do you use Nizoral everyday? I'm trying to find a permanent solution where I don't have to go the medicated shampoo route...

I have same problem and I know what it is as I had the same issue of greese scalp and fallen hair 7 years a go also.It is just because of Polycestic ovaries and hormonal disbalance.Please see your Gyne or endocrinologist immediately.I had my ultra sound of pelvis done yesterday I found out PCO.I took an appointment of endo on friday.
Plzzzzz go to your doc....these shampoos cant help
I had a yeast infection. Does your hair get better????How? I've stopped conditioning it and everything nothing will work.
No - I only use the Nizoral when my scalp suddenly gets all oily - I find after I use it I'm good for about 6 weeks then suddenly I get that oily greasy hair - I use a few drops of Nizoral for the next two washings and suddenly I'm good again - hope this helps you :)
In some cases it may very well be a hormonal inbalance, but I find that hard to believe for most of us on this forum - for one thing I get my period regularly and consistently it has never changed from its cycle. I think the greasy hair is just a common thing in summer months or when people increase their aerobic activity. As a former National Level Athlete in women's powerlifting I recall I had a similar problem with my hair when I was training for competition and changed my diet drastically for my sport. The Nizoral does work - I swear by it - much better than the apple-cider vinegar concoction which makes my curly hair frizzy. Plus after two consecutive shampoos with Nizoral my hair goes back to normal for 6-10 weeks and I just use my regular shampoo and conditioner during this time. I let my hair tell me when it's time or Nizoral.
I'm 72 and have had this happen three times over the last few years. I have it now for about two weeks. I just found this page and glad to know I'm and not the only one with this problem. I have used Nice and Easy hair coloring since I was young. I use Vo5 Clarifying shampoo, Nice and Easy conditioner and Fiber gum by Garnier. I have found nothing that  takes away the problem, why the same spot on the top back of my head? Coloring my hair does not take it out. It goes away on its own after a few weeks. The only thing I can retate this to is an alien abduction just befor this happened. I am dead serious about this. I have been taken by them since I was a baby. Yet this sticky hair has only happened three times now. Has any one else experienced an abduction befor they got the sticky hair? Just a thought.I'm going to try some of the products mentioned here . So glad I found this page. Thanks All
I recently had this issue for about two months.  I noticed a quarter size spot near my part that was waxy after I styled my hair and just assumed that I had missed some conditioner.  Eventually it spread everywhere!  This waxy substance started to take over my entire head.  It reached three inches down either side of my part, three inches down the back of my crown and completely ruined my bangs.  I was exasperated, and thought and absolutely hated my hair.  At first I tried some of the home remedies... the brown listerine (it helped in the slightest bit), the baking soda paste (which worked slightly better than the listerine, but still offered none of the results I was looking for), and washing my hair with the blue Dawn.  The blue Dawn offered the most relief from the home remedies ( it improved it about 60%), but I immediately noticed that it was ridiculously unhealthy for my scalp.  Yes, it was helping to get rid of the waxy feeling, but it was drying my scalp out to the point where it was painful.  

Then I found my cure.  The most simple thing ever.  Organix (I'm sure any brand will do, this is just what I found first) teatree oil shampoo and John Freida's Root Awakening conditioner (I found that using the teatree oil shampoo AND conditioner at the same time was causing the ends of my hair to be frizzy and unruly).  It was instant gratification.  After the first shampoo, my hair was back to its old self 100%, More healthy, even.  I implore anyone dealing with this waxy substance to just try a shampoo with any peppermint or teatree oil.  It was an absolute lifesaver for me!!!
Hi I had this condition for a while and cured it very easily. First lower the water temperature when showering, especially when you are wetting your head. Also remove the shower head as far away from your scalp as possible when rinsing your hair. These two things stopped mine forever.
ok - so Nizoral was controlling it but not as much as before and it's also making my hair extensions slip out - so I had to stop using it. I'm wondering if there is a connection between my Acrylic Nails and this waxy greasy sebum build up - I only just started wearing Acrylics for the very first time in May - just when this hair problem started showing up - I wonder if I'm allergic or getting something in my skin from the chemicals used in the nails? Anyone else recently get Acrylics?
So I had the Acrylic Nails removed and already my fingers feel ten times better - thoufgh they look horrid - there is definately fungus under 3 of the fingernails - I'm putting a very strong anti-fungel cream under all the nails twice a day - however I wonder since this fungus was inside my fingernails if it had spread to my scalp through morning hair routimes - shower, combing, styling. I had my MD do some blood work to see if this weird hair thing is related to fungal infection or hormones (androgen?). In the meantime I have found a half decent cure - I do the Nizoral with Apple Cider Vinegar twice a week - First the Nizoral, leave set for 2-3 minutes and attacks the sebum glands, effectively cleaning the scalp - then the Apple Cider Vinegar which restores the PH balance to the hair, then lastly my regular conditioner for damaged hair since the Cider Vinnegar leaves my hair very dry. This works really well and hair is shiny and no grease and can be styled. The inbetween days that i don't use this combo is something I found which is Excellent - Nioxin - I sue level 3 for dyed or permed hair - I just started using it and OH Wow!!! My hair has never felt or looked better - super volume and bounce - and oh yeah - No Grease!!! I'm using the Nioxin 3 Shampoo, Conditioner, leave in Spray, and also the Voluminizer (which is also a leave-in spray). My hair looks freakn' fabulous - like when I was in my twenties!!!! I will update you all once the blood work comes in or if I see a huge improvement now that the Acrylic Nails have been removed.
Hi, I too have same problem waxy & dandruff scalp, so i started to use nizoral shampoo 2%. Now its 1-1/2 month since i start the use twice a week as per the instruction. Sofar i am very much satisfied with the result. I can say It reduce 90%, oil on the scalp, dandruff & also reduce the hair fall.

Quraish

Hey everyone, I am 19 yrs. old and have noticed the same problem on the top of my head within the past week. It started shortly after I dyed my hair with Nice 'n' Easy. I came here to find a way to fix it because it was driving me nuts. Being in college, I'm broke so I don't have any way of getting any of these special products; however, I did happen to have a Burt's Bees blemish stick. Now, you might already know where this is going and you probably think I'm crazy...I am. I dumped the contents of the liquid blemish stick on my head, brushed it through my hair for a few minutes, and then took another shower. When I got out, my hair was perfectly normal again! No disgusting, rubbery/waxy grease spot..no damage because of the blemish stick (I didn't even go bald!), just happy healthy hair again!
For the first time, I switched from Loreal to Nice n Easy about a week ago and ended up with this stiff, greasy, waxy area on the top of my head and spread out down the back.  I could barely brush it, it was so sticky/greasy.  I read all the suggestions here and tried rubbing alcohol, didn't work.  Tried the vinegar and Palmolive and that worked only a little bit, so I decided that short of cutting it all off I was going to use whatever would get rid of this disgusting mess, so I used DAWN dishsoap (it was the purple one but I'm sure any Dawn would work).  "Dawn cuts grease", right?   I got my hair wet, worked it throughout my hair and into a lather really good, then let it sit on my head for 5 minutes.  I could tell as I was rinsing the Dawn out that it had helped, Then I used a clear shampoo and conditioned with Suave Keratin Infusion it and it is TOTALLY GONE!  It is smooth and silky with no hint of oil or grease now.  I don't know without a doublt that it was the Nice'n Easy, but I am not taking any chances - I am never straying from Loreal again, and I threw away the conditioner I got in the pack of Nice n Easy too, I don't know if it was the color or the conditioner but I don't want to take any chances!
I always have oily hair even sometimes RIGHT after i take a shower but i dont use a lot of conditioner. I just used bar soap after all else failed.  I used the Equate unscented bar soap until it covered mostly my scalp and then I used Aussie shampoo and conditioner.  Then I blowdried it and it looked so great.
I've had this same problem for the last few months, I've tried tea tree shampoo with a small improvement and have finally solved the problem with tony and guy cleanse shampoo, it's specifically for product build up and was recommended by my hair dresser after I showed her my hair. Noticed a massive difference the first time I used it and after using it 3 times (with a small amount of conditioner) my hair is normal again! I'm so happy I could cry! I had seriously considered having my head shaved as I was so upset and disgusted by my hair! Thoroughly recommend trying it and a bit of perseverance!
Hi everyone,
It has been 1 horrid week now, my suspicions: 1) Dye my hair with Natural Instincst and have done so before with Creme gloss, i thought it was their conditioner for after dying? I dyed my hair last week.
2)Also i'm 43. age?
3) Also I had a very hot shower and I thought I burnt my scalp or dye? Heat?
These have all been mentioned before....
I have a very waxy, greasy, plastic like texture on the top of my head, I can't get rid of it.
I will try all suggestions, starting right now with tea tree added to baby shampoo that I have here and now. I also agree it can be a fungal issue as I was staying in a rented accommodation for a weekend when the spot appeared, Also I was wearing a helmet and skiing (again, heat)
It is all starting to make sense, let's get to the bottom of it.
Does anyone feel some sort of numbness where the yucky spot is? burning or sensitivity?
off for a wash. good luck all
oh well, tea tree and jonhsons shampoo didn't do the trick, also another factor 4) could it be emotional? i did a lot of crying the day before it appeared, and a few days later... actually i'm still upset.
This is absolutely the only thing that worked for me as well!  I used the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree oil shampoo and conditioner once and it was back to normal.  The problem with in store products is they put candle wax in their conditioner to make it feel smoother when you wash it out and it ends up attaching to your hair and eventually you will have this problem!  As a couponer, I initially had an issue throwing a few extra bucks for a great shampoo and conditioner but, it totally works and it's for all hair types.  Save your money on other things, your hair shouldn't feel like a maple sap tree.
IT WORKS!!!

I have to thank everyone who contributed to this thread.  I was SO perplexed!  I had the oily spot on my crown only and for three weeks, I had to wear my hair in a pony tail!  I'm 48 and have NEVER had a problem with my hair.  I read on here about Pamolive, lemon juice and then a shampoo which deals with the seborrhea dermatitis, so yesterday I used all I had (Dawn) and lemon juice, left it on for 10 minutes and shampooed.  It was a little better!  Then I ran out and got the Pamolive as recommended, did the soak with lemon juice and used Nutragena T-Gel extra strength which deals with the seborrhea dermatitis.  Guess what???  IT'S GONE!!!  It's definitely an oil gone crazy problem and with me, it's probably hormonal.  Going to use the T-Gel a few more times (IT STINKS!) and then go back to my normal routine.  Hope this helps!  SO weird!!
AAUUGGHHH!! Well, it certainly helps to know I am not alone. 49- female. I always switch off products. No more stress than normal. It is at the very top of my head, and before going into the shower ....said hair was FINE, if not a little dry. I have never ever had oily hair. I normally only wash hair 2-3 days apart, and it is highlighted every 3 mo. This happened pior, 1 week after I made a cross country move which was verrrry stressful 6 mo. back, so I chaulked it up to that. Today ....got out of the shower ....and it's back. Same issue....it's at top of my scalp. 6 mo.'s back I called my gal and she said to use a cornstarch talc powder to 'cut it', and after washing and after doing this 3 times ....it went away. She too was stumped and had never heard of such a thing. My life today is great ....no different diet, suppliements .....nothing different. I am more curious as to the cause, that the many cures posted here over the years. OR if anyone has a different cure that has not already been posted. Help!!
Thank you.
Use Teatree oil shampoo !!!!!!! I just used it & it works!!
FOUND A CURE!
I had my greasy sticky sappy hair for about two weeks. Crying as I observed the oozy substance straight after I showered and washed my hair. Nothing helped, I am a faithfull user of Head and Shoulders, so I can say that it does not help.
What helped in my case was to rinse my hair with diluted 1:2 brown vinegar (left it on for about a minute) and than tried to rub my hair with 100% ecological soap bar from LUSH, it did not foam at all, but helped a tad. Not much though. But I was greatfull to see ANY change at all :D.
Today I washed my hair with my son's baby shampoo J&J, I have used half of the bottle, before it started to foam!!! I left it in for 5 mins or so and used conditioner on the tips, rinsed of course.
The sappy THING is ALMOST COMPLETELY GONE!
Good luck to you people :)
I noticed this problem too at age 47 I have had scalp problems for years and no dr seem to get it right..so I quit going back. Big bumps with pus and hair loss...folliculitis maybe so..my dr prescribed nizoral2% and I am rinsing my scalp with Listerine ..no hair conditioner. I use Suave sleek before I style and avoid all products to the scalp. ..looking better not cured
I am having the same problem and have never colored my hair. Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the only one.
I am stopping on my way home and buying the products you have suggested! Wish me luck.  
So glad to see that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I'm 29 years old, no hair issues. So today is Thursday. I normally don't put any product in my hair, but Monday was Grease day at work so we had to dress 50's style. I put some moose in my hair before I blow dried it to make it heavier and easier to style. Tuesday morning I washed my hair in the shower with my normal Head and Shoulders shampoo I've been using for a very long time, dried it and noticed a greasy spot on the top middle of my head. I assumed I must not have washed/rinsed my hair well enough. Wednesday morning, same thing. I washed my hair, making sure to do a thorough job, got out, dried it, still there. Only it seemed to have spread. This morning I washed and rinsed three times with Head and Shoulders in the shower and even with my hair wet I could feel it. It was worse and seemed to be getting worse still with every attempted wash. I got out and dried my hair and it was so bad, it covered the whole top of my head. Not just oily but sticky feeling too. My mom lives with us so I went and grabbed her shampoo and washed and rinsed three more times. Still no good. Now, I'll admit, I'm a little vain and I take pride in my beautiful, straight, shiny, healthy hair. I called my doctor and scheduled an immediate appointment. She looked at my scalp and said she couldn't find anything that signified an infection or worrisome issue at all. She recommended Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo. So I went and got some, went home and washed and rinsed twice and it seemed to be about 50% better. After coming on here and reading others having success with this same product, I went and washed again making sure to lather for a few minutes and let it sit for a minute or so before I rinsed. It's about 90% gone now. I would definitely recommend this product. I still don't know what caused this issue. Others on here have attributed it to stress and hormones. I will say, I did start my period on Tuesday morning, same time the symptoms started. I'm also a high stress individual to begin with and I am beginning to make decision on changes in my life that have me a little worried about finances. So perhaps the hormone/stress idea is not too far fetched.
Nioxin worked for me!
I tried a few of the remedies listed here, and the only thing that worked for me was Nioxin (actually the generic Target version of it). Lathered and washed, repeated again. Did this for two days, by the second day the gross oily/waxy patch was completely gone! It's now been two weeks and it hasn't come back. Will definitely keep a bottle on hand in case this happens again, since this is the second time it's happened in the last year.
I'm 32 years old, haven't dyed my hair in a few months, and wash it every day. I've tried numerous clarifying shampoos, tea tree shampoo & conditioner, baby shampoo, dandruff shampoo, etc. Even my hairdresser had no more suggestions. The generic Nioxin doesn't smell too pleasant, but didn't dry my hair out as bad as I expected it to. I just won't use it any longer than I have to, and made sure to use conditioner on the ends.
Best of luck to everyone else dealing with this, it was terrible. Thanks for all the posts and suggestions, I'm so relieved something finally worked.
Someone mentioned a remedy and I tried it and it WORKED.. I mixed some original (green) Palmolive with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice (no real measurements).. Applied to my dry hair and let sit about 15 minutes, then rinsed in shower and used a head and shoulders 2in1.. And my oily spot is FINALLY gone!!!
Thank you to whomever posted this suggestion!
Hi Everyone, I see this thread has been ongoing since 2008, a lot of common stories and treatment suggestions but I really want to find out why this is happening. A number of posts have suggested that this is fungal, seborrheic dermatitis, or hormonal, and perhaps all 3 can lead to this condition but it would be great if we could find the truth. A number of people have spoken to their doctors and hair stylists about it and many seem to have received the same response that I did, as if I had two heads and why would I ask them about this??? I too have the same story as everyone here, an oily/waxy crown just after washing my hair. I tried the baking soda treatment and it mostly worked, I can still feel my hair is a bit waxy but I doubt anyone else would notice, but I have to use baking soda each time I wash or it comes back. In order to help find commonalities between us here's a bit about me, maybe this will help to find a common denominator and get to the root of the problem (no pun intended!):

I am 44 years old and peri-menopausal, I have used Infusium shampoo and conditioner for more than 20 years (but do not condition the crown of my head), I wash every 1 - 2 days consistently, I have not colored or used product in my hair for years, I have not been diagnosed with any chronic conditions and do not take any prescriptions medications, but have been fighting a plantar wart for a long time now, I recently suffered a severe case of contact dermatitis in response to 'fragrance' that is found in many cosmetics, for which I took prednisone and benedryl, and lastly I take a number of daily supplements: Lysine, vitamin D, folic acid, saw palmetto, and probiotics, I hope this helps!
I have just come across this post, I am 3 months post pregnancy and this problem started for me when I was around 25 weeks. I was lazy doing my hair in the beginning and started wearing it up a lot, it was after a few weeks of wearing my hair up that I noticed when I did wash, blow-dry and straighten my hair, it was really oily and sticky at the crown, even after 3 months since having baby it is still hanging around and has spread down the back of my head,  :-(

I have tried the Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo which i bought online, I have used a few times and it got a little better after the first time but now back to normal, also tried baby shampoo and no luck. I bought some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner so will try that and hopefully it works. I am so over it, i can't wear my hair out or make it look nice, can only put it up. I currently have some apple cider vinegar in, just diluted with a bit water and put on with fingers, about to wash it off, hopefully a change…will keep checking this post for updates. Good luck everyone.
Here is how I used all household things to solve this problem WITHOUT SPENDING ANY MONEY. I'm a 23 year old American living in China with no access to specialty shampoos or soaps. I can't even read the labels on things. My excess oil spot was building up and getting severe a week after noticing it, so I tried all the remedies I could manage all at once with great and quick success.

5 things you'll need (or probably already have): white or apple cider vinegar, dish soap, mint mouth wash, shampoo, blow-dryer

1) I started with apple cider vinegar. No special kind, just whatever I had in my pantry. I applied it to all the greasy parts of my scalp and hair and let it sit for about 12 minutes.
2) Then, adding to the vinegar, I generously applied some sort of lemon scented dish soap (not any special brand, it was cheap). I used a lot of this. Thoroughly caked the affected part of my head, but not the lengthy bottom part of my hair. Left this on for about 10 minutes
3) Next, I got in the shower and rinsed out the vinegar and soap.
4) Then, I poured about 5 cap fulls of cool mint Listerine over the area. This was when the roots really started feeling soft again. I let it sit in the shower while I shaved my legs, so 3-4 minutes.
5) I washed my hair gently with regular shampoo (mine was pantene pro v, not sure that it matters) without scrubbing at the roots too much so as to not stimulate my oil glands. * I did not condition, but the Listerine seemed to soften my hair in a similar way.
6) I blow-dried the roots of my hair on cool. Heat and dampness promote fungal infections, so definitely blow-dry, and definitely use the cool setting

Most of it was removed the first night, all of it when I did it again the next day. Hope this works for everyone, it is pretty easy and cost efficient. No fancy shampoos or pills required.
The simplest and easiest way to get rid of such grease is to apply Lemon juice (1 or 2 lemons depending on the hair grease) over the hairs, comb them and let them leave like that for half an hour. Then shampoo and rinse. Grease will vanish as if there was nothing. Also your hairs will become silkier and shinier :) Cheers!
Same boat here! But I needed to do something about it so I used Zote soap, massaged my crown for a bit and rinsed my hair, then i used my common shampoo for the ends and conditioner as well, worked wonders. Zote soap is a neutral soap, you can find on the detergent aisle, most common to sell on Walmart, not sure if HEB have it, or the hispanic little stores that sell mexican food (i live on Texas, we have plenty of those :)), anyawys, it does dry your hair a little bit, but you sure have immediate results! Good luck!
I am 32 and I have the same problem for the past 5 months now. I understand how frustrating it is.But recently I 've tried something which helped me and thought I should share. I ve shampooed my hair normally with a mild shampoo, then I applies Jhonson baby shampoo on the affected area rinsed and left it for about 5mins. Then washed it with warn water.It helped me a lot. Hope it helps you too.
Solution: I struggled for many years with oily, greasy patches in my hair. I couldn’t figure out what it was. I tried only washing with filtered water, used clarifying shampoos, and baking soda. Some of these things helped a bit but the solution for me was unbelievably simple! A hair stylist suggested that I separate my hair into two sections to wash, a top and bottom section. Before massaging the shampoo in, she recommended that I place shampoo at the section line, especially at the crown where this problem was common for me. After placing shampoo there and letting it sit for 30 seconds, I then wash my whole hair like normal, massaging and everything. I still occasionally use bumble and bumble clarifying but my hair is 100% better! Turns out due to my thick hair I just wasn’t getting shampoo fully into all the right places. This solution will not work for everyone, especially if you have a medical condition but it’s worth trying before spending a ton of money/energy elsewhere! (where to part image: http://ow.ly/YVi230ghPGJ)