Why is my scalp (at the crown) suddenly very oily?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I read other responses to a similar question.  I'm in my 40's and have always had normal hair.  About three days ago, this oily thing started.  First day, I washed my hair, conditioned it and dried it only to discover that the hair at the crown of my head was grossly oily.  I figured I over-conditioned it, so the next day I used conditioner only at the bottom of my hair.  Same problem.  Today, same problem.  Thinking back, the only thing I've done differently is to use Nice 'n Easy hair color instead of L'Oreal but this was about 10 days ago.  Although, I must admit, my hair was too dark and I used Dawn dw liquid and then Pantene Clarifying Shampoo to try and fade the color faster - both pretty stressful to hair.  Any ideas from folks with the same problem?  Does this go away??

This discussion is related to suddenly oily hair that won't correct.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Try to observe the scalp condition and this time do frequently shampoo your hair. Vigorous shampooing may be able to help. I would think that this may be a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. If that is the case, it  may be caused by stress and weather. Seborrheic dermatitis has also been associated with fungal or yeast infections.

Try to frequently and vigorously wash your hair. This may help alleviate the conditions.

This same thing happened to me for like a week, and I kept trying diffrent things to get rid of it, but I finally found something that worked.  I got a shampoo with tea tree oil in it and really scrubbed my scalp, and it was not oily anymore.  I would suggest trying this.  You can get Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo.
I have this same thing, and though it *****, I'm relieved to find others with the same problem!  Mine started out of nowhere, a small spot on the crown of my head, and gradually grew over a week or so.  The only thing that helps for me is using Neutrogena shampoo and no conditioner.  The shampoo completely strips the hair and scalp.  You rub it into your hair, and just leave it on your scalp in the shower for quite a few minutes.  This made it much better, but it dries the hair out.  I read another discussion on here that maybe relates this problem to Garnier Fructis shampoo (in the tall lime green bottles).  I've used this shampoo for about a year and haven't thought of switching.  I'm going to try a new shampoo and conditioner and see what happens.  I also don't use any hair product and no medications, which I've heard people suggest could be a problem.  Also, stress, but I have very little stress right now.  This problem has come back about every 6 months for me, but it's been more frequent lately.  It *****!
Just wanted to let people know that the word that seems to be blanked out in my previous post is not a swear word or anything close to it, and I have no idea why it's being censored.  The word is what a vacuum cleaner does to pick up a mess.  So instead of using that word, which we apparently can't say, I'll replace it by saying "It's not fun!"  :-)
may i suggest to both of you that you try a professional shampoo called nioxin.  it contains tea tree oil, but unlike a lot of those shapoos, there are different formulas so you can play around a bit and find the one the works best for you.  I use the one for colored hair myself and it controls my dry scalp and my oily hair.  Many salons have sample bottles that you can get for free to see if it helps.
I am having the exact same problem. It started Saturday morning, I thougth I hadn't gotten the conditioner out of my hair it was mainly in my bangs, now today Monday it has traveled from my bangs through the crown of my head. I tried changing shampoo, changing the brush I use, washing my hair with vinegar, washing it with Ketoconazole shampoo. Nothing seems to work. I also dyed my hair with Nice n' Easy 8 days before this started. It has progressively gotten worse each day.  I am going to try using a baking soda paste in the morning. Maybe that will help. I am wondering if it has something to do with the Nice n' Easy (although I've used that brand before and never had an issue) I use Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner daily. (I only use conditioner on the ends)
Me too!  (oily crown)

I'm 47.  I've done absolutely nothing different than I have for years.  I too, thought it was unrinsed conditioner but after 3 shampoos I still can't get rid of the oil at the crown of my head.  SOMEONE out there has to know what this is about and WHY it happens and HOW to get rid of it.  I hate it.
I'm 69 and my hair started getting oily a couple of weeks ago. It's driving me crazy. I tried changing my shampoo from Dove Pro Age to Herbal Essence, but it didn't help. I'm going to try bar soap next. Who'd think you'd have greasy hair at my age?
Hi there,

I also have had this condition which started very suddenly for about a month.  I'm 39.   Same as the other members,  it started on the crown of my head.  No amount of shampooing with regular shampoo will wash this sticky nasty substance out.  I will try the suggested shampoos from the other members:  'Paul Mitchells Tea Tree Oil, and Neutrogena'.  

I have come to realize though,  that this hair problems started a week after I started taking Natures Own Omega 3 ultra super strenght fish oil.   Yes,  I should have probably made the connection weeks ago but I didn't.   I'm going to stop the fish oils and see if the hair returns to its non-greasy original state....
I had this problem.  It plagued me for 2 months.  I finally quit using any conditioner whatsoever for about a month.  The spot gradually went away.  Then I slowly reintroduced conditioner to see if it would come back.  It's been about a month now and I'm back to my regular hair-cair regemin with no sign of the problem returning.  I still have no idea what happened, but I'm glad it's gone and hope it never comes back.
I, too, had this happen very suddenly.  I thought I hadn't rinsed well, or there was something on the head wrap.  I can't get rid of it.  So when someone finds a solution--please post it.
I've read all your posts and it seems that no one knows the answer to this question.  I am 62 and have had excessively dry hair all my life!  So, for the crown of my scalp to suddenly become oily really worried me.  I am on heart medication and was looking to see if that might be the cause.  I've used Nice and Easy color too but I've used it for years.  This started about 2 months ago.  I did just like everyone else...washed all my hairstyling tools...changed shampoo...made sure all the conditioner was rinsed out...all to no avail.  I hope someone can come up with some kind of answer or at least a solution to this problem.
Vanessa,
  You do have a point in your post about the oily scalp.  I also have a condition on my fingers ... it's not fungus ... it's (of all things) a yeast infection of some kind.  I go to a Dermatologist for this  and there seems to be no cure...just creams to soothe the dryness and cracking.  Perhaps my oily scalp condition is tied to this.  I no longer have health insurance so I haven't been to my Dermatologist in a while.  Thanks for your post.  This may help others too.
jerciejerce
FOUND A CURE!!!!  So I posted a thread on this website about a week ago.  I titled it different, but it is about the EXACT SAME problem!!
My "grease spot" was apparent as soon as I got out of the shower.  Therefore, I thought that whatever it was, it just wasn't washing out.  So, last Saturday I took a shower and used Head & Shoulders.  I scrubbed and scrubbed until my hands ached.  I rinsed.  Then I put on THREE more applications of shampoo, each time scrubbing until my fingers hurt.  I rinsed each time, skipped any conditioner and got out.  I let my hair air dry.  To my HORRIFFIC dissappointment, my ENTIRE HEAD looked as if I dipped it in oil as it began to dry.  I was so upset, I cried.  I threw it in a ponytail and headed down to our local beauty supply house.  (Here it is called Sally's Beauty Supply.  I think its a franchise).  The clerks were all amazed and dumbfounded about the "grease spot" but said that by "overwashing" my hair, I put my oil glands in my scalp into overdrive, causing this new abundance of oil!!!  With that being said, I bought some "dry shampoo".  It is a powder-like spray that is used in between shampooings.  You spray it on any oily or greasy spots, brush it through and BOOM, your hair looks clean, dry, and smells good.  I also bout "Generic Brand" Tea Tree Shampoo there.  (It is really called 'Generic Brand' and its generic for Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo equivelant)  
As soon as I got home, I sprayed the dry shampoo and it completely transformed my oil head into clean, healthy looking hair.
I wasn't convinced that it was cured, so I didn't wash it the next day.  I figured I needed to let my natural oils regulate somewhat.  I DID wash my hair on Monday.  I washed with the Tea Tree stuff and figured, if I "overwashed all the natural oils out last time"... maybe I SHOULD condition a little to add moisture.  So I conditioned a little, and guess what??  As soon as I blow dried it, everything looked perfect!!!  I am proud to say that the spot has been gone for a month!  
Not sure what causes it, but with my remedy, I think it has something to do with the balance of the oils in our scalp getting out of whack somehow.

I hope this helps all of you!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!!
I have recently acquired the same problem of greasy hair at the crown.  I am 56 years old; never had oily hair problems.
I am going to ask my hair stylist and seek help at beauty supply store.  Help!!!
Hey guys,

I have been experiencing the same problem. Woke up one day with a greasy/waxy patch on my scalp. Never had this problem before. Tried shampoo-ing if off several times but it wouldn't bugde. I was almost losing hope! So i went online, did some research and found a solution that cured my problem!!
You will need a good clarifying shampoo and some Listerine( the original brown type). First, shampoo your hair with the clarifying shampoo. If you can't find a clarifying shampoo, then use a shampoo that does not have moisturizing properties in in. Usually they're gel-like. When shampoo-ing, massage the affected area on the scalp being careful not to scrub it too hard or you'll agitate the oil glands. Once you're done, take about 3 cap-fuls of Listerine and pour it onto your scalp. Work it into your hair and scalp. LEAVE IT ON FOR 3 MINS. You might feel a tingling sensation which is totally normal. After that rinse your hair. I used a conditioner for the ends of my hair to put some moisture back into them. Just make sure the conditioner has no contact with the scalp. After this treatment i found that my hair was completely back to normal! I was so astounded. It was light and shiny soft again. Hope this will work for you guys too! I know what it feels like waking up with that greasy stuff!!
I suddenly started with this same problem 3 days ago. Like many of you, first I thought I didn't wash it well or that I needed to change my shampoo. I did both these things the next 2 days, but still had a greasy crown. Yesterday I bought Pantene Clarifying Shampoo (clear) and used it this morning. I shampooed twice, really lathering up, but not scrubbing the scalp too much. I was afraid I would stimulate the oil glands. The second time I shampooed, I remembered someone mentioned leaving the shampoo in for a few minutes so I did that too. It worked. My hair is actually clean this morning. Still wondering what is causing this and if my hair will continue to stay clean. I did have to use conditioner on the ends of my hair as the clarifying shampoo seems to dry hair out.
This has happened to me too.  Before I found my solution I would wake up, take a shower do my hair and cry and cry and cry.  Started on the crown and would spread further and further each day.

I read on the internet to use apple cider vinegar (keep in for about 15-20 minutes) and then put Palmolive GREEN dish soap on top and rub together. Leave both on for another 15-20 minutes.  

This worked for me both times.  

I went to my dermatologist after I found my solution online and had no symptoms.  So, they couldn't see what I was talking about, but they NEVER heard or have seen anything like it.  I think that they thought I was lying.

I wouldn't wish this problem on my worst nightmare.  I have always had beautiful hair, and will not live with it looking like it did before I  

I have the solution, but I want to know what it is.  Could it be a fungus?  Can other people catch it?

Does anyone know what it could be?
selenium and zinc supplements can help a lot with this problem , but also a healthy(er) diet can always help a lot
I've had this same problem too for a few years, only, unlike most people in this thread who are either adults, or menopausal, I'm only 15 now, and the problem started when I was 13.
that makes me think that it is somehow related to drastic, sudden changes in horomones, but one thing I suggest not doing is OVERWASHING, that always made it worse. The original brown listerine works ( just pour some in hair after shampoo, then rinse with water), and tea tree shampoo, but it reappears every now and then... not fun.
Did the listerine solution last for a long time, or did the patch come back?

I'm 28 and this started for the first time about 9 months ago (it was bad, then it went away in Jan) then it reappeared in Feb and isn't too bad.  Every few days I use baby powder on my crown right before bed then wash it out the next day.  It seems to work but the nastiness keeps coming back.

Argh.

Has anyone's solution lasted for more than a few months?  I've been to a couple of doctors and hairdressers and they've never heard of this problem.
I have experienced the same thing. Getting dish soap and going to try it today. Hopefully that will finally work, if not then going to try listerine. From what I have been reading all over the web, many people are experiencing this after using a clairal hair dye or for me, their herbal essence shampoo and conditioner. I switched to it and this started immediately after. Will never use them again. Hope this helps others figure out what the problem is.
I have had this "waxy hair at the crown" problem on and off for a couple of years now and thought it was a hormonal issue (pre-menopausal) at first but now think it may be a fungal issue...

Some background information:

*I am 46 years old and am still menstruating regularly.
*I take NO medications.
*I don't have a stress-full life
*I maintain a healthy weight and eat a balanced diet
*I exercise every day (Zumba)!!  :-)
*I drink about 1.5 - 2 litres of water per day
*I use hair colour every 2 weeks or so but recently used the "Nice and *Easy" brand (2 days before my latest onset of waxy hair)!?
*I noticed the problem one day after I got out of the shower!  I noticed my fringe wouldn't style as usual and seemed "sticky" and "wet" and I thought I'd left conditioner in my hair. No amount of rinsing fixed the problem though.
*In the past I've used Herbal Essence shampoo, Organic shampoo and conditioner and/or salon products when I can afford them.
*I haven't used Pantene (as some other posters have) for about 5 years.

What I've used to TRY to fix the waxy/greasy hair problem:

*I've tried the bicarb soda/water paste = no change
*I've tried head and shoulders = no change
*I've tried several clarifying shampoos = no change
*I've tried NOT using conditioner = no change
*I've tried USING conditioner = no change
*I've tried apple cidar vinegar = no change
*I've tried not washing my hair for days = no change
*I've tried using shampoos for oily hair = no change...........

Then tonight (on day 12 of my latest episode of having waxy/sticky/greasy looking hair) I washed with "Nizoral" and rinsed with Original (brown) Listerine (left it in for about 5 mins then rinsed it out).  I'd read today about the success of these 2 products from another poster here.  

I'm happy to say that IT WORKED for me too. My hair feels about 95% improved!  It feels softer and has movement again like it use to - it doesn't just stick to my head in big weird clumps of waxy/greasy hair!  I will repeat this process again tomorrow and post an update in a few days! Fingers crossed it works 100%!!!

I can sympathise totally with the other posters that are having this problem!  I had become quite depressed and didn't want to go out like I normally do. I feel as if eveyone is looking at me and thinking I was dirty!  :-(

I hope this helps other's that may not have already seen the Listerine or Nizoral posts! :-)
I'm so glad to know I'm not CRAZY!  I had this exact same thing happen to me about 6 months ago.  I noticed after washing and drying my hair that my hands were a little on the sticky side and the crown of my head was oily looking.  At first I thought I didn't get all of the shampoo/conditioner out......I tried all kinds of shampoos and even washed my hair with vinegar oil, baking soda, and Palmolive. The only thing that cured it was the washing my hair daily with Palmolive and baking soda.....I figured it was terrible for my hair so I started using the Equate brand of anti-dandruf shampoo and my hair cleared up........until now.  The store was out of the Equate brand I have been using so I bought the Head and Shoulders brand and have been using it for about 2 months now, only to realize this week it's back!  It's the oddest thing and everything just thinks I'm crazy, even hair specialists seem to have never heard of this.  So I type all of this to say that the Equate brand of Head and Shoulders cleared it up for me 100%, so needless to say, I made a trip to the store today! :)
HELP! i am 17 and i have this awful problem for 5 days now and it is horrible!
i start school in two days and am on the verge of anxiety attacks just thinking about facing my peers there. i have been trying to find a solution on this site for days now..and nothing works!my hair is gradually getting worse and spreading.
some people with this issue have been so desperate as to start accutane. but the weird thing is is that i have been on accutane for 6 weeks now and it just started for me out of nowhere. i personally agree with some of you who think it could be a fungal related problem.
i called a salon and they told me useless information like to use a clarifying shampoo which hasnt worked..i use those once every two weeks anyway. :( the lady at the salon also said that maybe its from the accutane which makes no sense either because it seems to be so random for everyone. i have tried clarifyer and brown listerine, white distilled vinegar, extra conditioner, no conditioner, and right now i am trying apple cider vinegar and washing it out with irish springs soap. tomorrow or monday i hope to try palmolive. and tuesday i am going to make an appointment with my dermatologist and also get my hormones checked. i dont know how some of you have lived with this for months or years. much luck to all of you and if you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciates. my email is ***@****
I've had this problem going on for about a year now and have tried multiple remedies. As some people have mentioned, Pantene and Garnier Fructis were used near the start of this condition and may have had some contribution to all of this. While reading the responses, one person mentioned that they were taking a fish oil vitamin supplement when their problem first started and i realized that i was also taking a vitamin when mine started!! The one im taking is called "Hair Skin & Nails" by the company Spring Valley. I was also taking a Folic Acid supplement by the same company as well. Im going to discontinue the use of both and hopefully the condition clears up.

Good luck everybody!! Hope we can figure this out!
SOLUTION THAT 100% WORKED:
I had the same problem for the past 3 weeks!  Gross!!  I bought the Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner from Paul Mitchell (from a local salon).  I shampooed once just like normal, and then a second time and left the shampoo sit for a few minutes.  It did tingle, and that's okay.  I rinsed, conditioned my ends well, and MAGIC!!!  It was completely 100% gone!  It truly was amazing.  Nothing worked before I bought the product.  I feel like I'm a new woman!!!
I had this problem for the past year. At the same time I was getting a RASH on my face periodically around my eyes and on my cheeks. I have always had "sensitive" skin so this was not out of the ordinary for me... but then it got worse and I was also getting swollen eyes and the rashes were painful - burning. The Dermatologist had no cure. My husband finally suggested I see an Allergist. I found out that at 33 yrs old I am newly allergic to NUTS. I do not get the usual symptoms (throat closes up, difficulty breathing), instead, the day after I have eaten something with nuts, I get a face rash which lasts for a few days and then my face peels, much like having a sunburn would. It's disgusting. But, I also noticed that when I have the rash, I get the oily scalp at the crown of my head.
If anyone else is having a rash on their face with the oily scalp, please see an Allergist and get tested. I know that they are related because I ate something last week that must have had traces of nuts in it (even though I try to be very careful) and the next day I had swollen eyes, face rash, and oily scalp.
By the way, I did do the Suave and Listerine which did work for a day or two, but the oil came back with the face rash so it was not a cure for me.
I am a 23 year old female experiencing the same problem. I was doing my hair one morning and realized a greasy, waxy spot on the right side of the crown of my head. I thought I hadn't rinsed the conditioner out of my hair. I tried rinsing again, no change. I thought it would go away the next day. Today I tried shampooing with conditioner only on the bottom but it didn't work. I have now tried other shampoos and the Listerine and still have greasy hair. I have not changed anything in my diet, routine, etc. I did have a really bad period that started the day before this happened, so am wondering if it is hormone related. It is driving me crazy!
hey everyone, i'm also a 23 year old female that experienced this problem about two months ago. i don't know what happened or what i did to trigger this. i don't think i've ever had this problem before. the closest thing that happened was probably using a bland shampoo/conditioner mix and noticed that my hair got greasier faster but this is different. this is like a thick sappy feeling right around the crown. its really weird. i don't know whether it is the new formula for pantene. i was at the time trying to many diffrent combinations of shampoo/conditioner because my hair was flat so i was experimenting. and all of a sudden - oiliness. so unless my hair got stressed out from all that i'm not sure. i don't know if its a fungus or hormonal issue. and i've tried mostly all the solutions here - listerine, acv, etc but it just seeems to come back when i don't do a treatment. i dunno what to do and i'm just getting really depressed because i love my hair but now its a flat, limp, sticking to the sides of my face, greasy mess. except it doesn't look like its greasy from the outside which is why ppl think i'm crazy.
I'm 15 and this problem started a few days ago for me.. Its so embrarsing. But i know one of the causes of it it OVERWASHING. I recently started washing my hair every day for a week, just to be hygenic, and it obviously triggered the oil glands or whatever so im not going to wash my hair for a few days and then use a claryifying shampoo and a tea tree shampoo and the listerine thing. I am praying that this works because my friends at school have even asked me about it, its the worst thing i have ever experinced.

TIPS
Do not wash your hair more, this will make it worse
Leave your hair for about 3-4 days without washing it.
Use a claryfing/tea tree shampoo
Use listerine(the original) on your scalp after shampooing, leave for 3 mins then wash off and condition the ends as normal

hope this helps. wish m luck with my problem!
I also experienced this just this past week and I tried a few different remedies. What I finally did is dumped rubbing alcohol on my scalp then shampooed and it has been 2 days and my hair is great.
does anyone yet know why this is happening?
I have started to notice this issue like 3 weeks ago. After I took a shower and washed my hair thoroughly, I used a blow drier to dry my hair. As i was drying, crown area started to stick together and it was very greasy. I didnt understand at first because I just took a shower and it made no sense for my hair to feel this way. I just thought that I used my husbands brush since he uses products in his hair and I just go this grease on me too. Anyways, went right back in the shower and washed my hair thoroughly again and it got a little but it was still really sticky. I just ignored it at first and thought it would just go away. It subsided for a 2 weeks meaning that it wasn't that intense anymore. However, today when I came out of shower and went over the same process as the first time, my hair was so sticky and greasy that my eyes was just like what is this. I just couldnt believe it. I washed it again and this time I scrubbed my hair and it was still very greasy. So I started researching and I came to an understanding that this is a condition. It is definitely not hormonal, or any dietary related issue. However it can be humidity related and its most certainly a skin condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis. Seborrheic is just another word for sebum which mean excessive production of Sebum meaning sebaceous glands. Sebaceous glands produce oil and it is usually caused by fungus and it affects skin and scalp. I dont have anything on my scalp but my hair are so disgusting that it is seriously annoying. As i must tell you all that for this conidition, there is no cure for it but you can use different ways to control it or maybe help it reduce it so it is not as severe.
Im using multiple things to cure this issue. I used Listerine as for temporary relief and it really works. It took 90% grease out of my hair and continuous use can help further subside this issue. Listerine has Eucalypol, menthol and methyl Salicytate and one more product. Eucalyptol is good for many reasons and it is used for wide range of conditions. Menthol is a derivative of alcohol and it is anti bacterial properties. Methyl Salicytate is another natural product that is used for various reasons and its a type of oil. since we are dealing with Sebaceous glands issue, different oils have many anti infective properties that can help cure and restore the scalp issue such as Tea Tree oil.  Good Luck

Hope it helps!!
Hello all! Ok so I just got the nasty sticky oily spot on the crown of my head 3 days ago. Its exactly as everyone described. So I looked at many forums and decided to try some things that I read about. I used Palmolive the original green kind, rubbed it on the crown of my head and let it sit for a sec. Then I rinsed it out and poured some original Listerine.  It burned alot but I was hoping it was helping so I let that sit for about 5 mins. Then I rinsed again. I then shampoed my whole head with Paul Mitchell tea tree oil shampoo. I rinsed then only conditioned the bottom of my hair. That whole sticky patch was gone!!!!!!! My hair is so soft. I am so happy this worked. I was so angry and upset that this happened and out of no where too. But hopefully this will never happen again. Anyways I hope this helps someone else.  
I too noticed this sticky crown issue about a week ago. I am 26 and do not have any more stress in my life than usual. I am on the Depo-Provera shot for birth control and read that Depo-Ralovera (a very similar shot) can cause greasy hair. (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/greasy_hair/side-effects.htm) I wonder if I could have received the wrong shot when I was in about 2 weeks ago, the names are so similar.

At first I thought I didn't rinse the shampoo or conditioner out of my hair well enough.  Then I thought it was the new shampoo and conditioner I was using (Herbal Essences Hello Hydration) and switched to Aussie. When that didn't work I tried an Aussie clarifying shampoo, it only seemed to get worse! I just tried the Sauve Clarifying and Listerine trick, and I am sad to say it did not work for me. Although, I'm glad it seems to have worked for many of you!  I will be going to the store tomorrow to pick up some apple cider vinegar and palmolive and I hope that will help. However, I am happy to tell all of you dealing with this frustrating, embarassing problem that sprinkling in a little baby powder and combing it through drastically improves the appearance 100%, at least allowing us to feel comfortable with our hair while we deal with this awful mystery! Thank you all for your posts and advice, I am so relieved I'm not the only person experiencing the sudden sticky crown
OMG!  So glad to have come across this!!  

Like others, about 5 days ago I noticed my hair seemed oily on ghe crown and slightly down one side.  I cant get over that my hair was normal one day and then oily the next!  I have read all the information above and this morning I attacked the grease, AND its 99% gone!!  And this was after one wash.

Firstly, I dampened the crown of my head and rubbed in the Palmolive soap.  I am in Australia and used the white original one. I then rubbed about 3 capfuls of apple cider vinegar into the soap lather and left on for ten minutes.  I then washed it twice with tea tree shampoo and conditioned it very lightly and briefly........and wow!!  It worked, no more oil, amazing!

Thankyou so much all who took the time to post your results...this awful oily hair spot really had me stressed.
Since just a few months i have been experiencing the same problems. After washing the crown hair on the crown of my head is waxy and greasy.

I tried everything; washing my hair with special shampoos for oily hair, washing with mineral water, or with apple cider vinegar... nothing worked!

Just yesterday I bought "Rausch Therapeutic Soil Scalp" , which is made to for irritated scalp and oily hair. I tried it out right a way, and to my surprise...IT WORKED! After massaging it into my scalp and leaving it for 10 minutes...then washing it out and then washing my hair as normal...i felt a huge difference!

They suggest to wash the hair with their "Rausch Seaweed Shampoo" so i went out today to buy it as well. Hopefully it will keep the oily hair from coming back in the long run... i guess i will just hve to try and see.

Hope this helps! Will let you know how it goes after a few days of using this shampoo.
Hate to tell you all ...but this is a fungus

I have had this about ten times over the past 5 years.  If you rub a little fangul creme (one from the chemist) and leave overnight (just at the crown) you will notice amazing improvement.  May need two nights to completely eradicate.  I noticed in the posts that someone had success with Listerine also....I have also read that soaking your feet in Listerine is good for Toe Nail fungus...so I am now certain I am on the right track!
When you fry your hair DO NOT put it up in a bun or pony tale or do anything that makes your scalp hot or sweaty.   This makes for a breading ground.

Hope this helps and I would LOVE if you could reply if you have luck with it.
Ann
sorry about spelling...
I have the same problem and I've tried everything to get rid of it! I shower daily , used the vinegar-water solutions, massaging my scalp, nothing worked. then I tried something else, reallyyyy easy and works instantly! just bring one of the combs with really close teeth, after applying shampoo to your hair, while it still on, comb the spots with the sticky oily stuff, comb it all the way down , and it will go away instantly! just one thing, it may come back a few months later, but you can use the same method and get rid of it the same day :) hope this helps
HI

I have near the same problem. My hair randomly started getting greasy/ sticky feeling in the right side of my crown and it has gotten worse and has moved to whole right side. I am 17 and i have tryed the vinegar trick and used horse shampoo also because its supposed to dry out your hair and neither worked. I have senior pictures soon and I would really like it gone by then. It's really becoming a problem to where i dont want to wear my hair down anymore. Im going to try the tea tree shampoo and hopefullly it works. I have no acne with it either. SOMEONE HELP US OUT!
Hey, This happened to me too. A wierd patch of Greasy oil at the crown of my head. It happened about a month ago, i washed my hair 3-4 times and it dint go, i went to a salon for hair wash to see if they could remove it. But it dint go. I researched online but did not find anything that could make sense. Then i had an idea of applying some baby talcum powder so that it soaks up the oil. i left it on for a couple of hours then washed my hair. And it worked for a month, and now it came back. I dont know what to do!!
ive developed a gresy patch on the top of my head 2 days ago, read online to wash with a clarifying shampoo so i bought pantene then rinsed with 3 caps of original listerine then rinsed my hair last night and its almost gone!!!!! going to do it again today and should be totally gone, weird!!!!
This thread was sooooo helpful!!!  I started getting that same greasy oily patch right on my scalp about 10 days ago and it was getting worse every day.  I had changed shampoos and thought it might be that but it wasn't.  I read this thread and decided to do the easiest option - just wash with the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo (it is infused with tea tree oils according to the lady at ULTA where I bought it yesterday).  Anyway, I washed my hair this morning and it was tingly.  I didn't use the conditioner but shampoo'd twice.  All the grease is GONE!!!  I am hoping it doesn't come back.  I am wondering why it happened at all but atleast I am greasy hair free for now!  Thanks so much for the advice!!!!!
I am 22 years old, this has started happening to me with all of the same symptoms as everyone has described, 2 months ago I had an issue with dandruff, so I am thinking that its a fungal thing, but maybe hormones make it worse, I have been really stressed out so maybe it is a lot of different things. I also work in a kitchen where my scalp gets warm easy from our caps. I am going to try the above tricks and see if it makes a difference
dish soap and baking soda worked wonders!
something else worked with me, baby shampoo!! give it a try (:
I too had this oily/sticky/waxy spot show up on the crown of my head suddenly. I first thought that I was missing the spot while washing my hai, but after two days I realized this spot was not going away.  When I googled and found so many people have had this same thing happen, I was SHOCKED!   I am a 29 female and have never had this happen before.  I have oily skin/hair naturally, but nothing like this spot.  I decided after reading several posts to try the Tea Tree Shampoo and Listerine combo...I used Amercian Crew Tea Tree Shampoo and 3 caps of genric Listernine.  I left both in my hair for several minutes before washing out, and it worked 100%.  The spots is gone...thank you everyone!!!
I am a 20year old New Zealander and have never heard of anything like this before. A couple of weeks ago i noticed an oily patch at the back of my head and it is driving me insane. I always get comments on how beautiful and soft my hair is but this is disgusting. I am having to tie my hair up which probaby isnt helping the situation but there is no way I am leaving it down with that oily patch for everyone to see. I am so glad I have found this page and will go to the chemist in my lunch break to try and get something to help. I am starting to itch at the thought of it being a fungy. Has anyone managed to get rid of the oil for good or does it always come back at some stage? I dont want this for life! Maybe we could all shave our heads for cancer?
I had this same problem and it started one day about 5 years ago.  It took about 6 months, but I finally found a remedy and it is LUSH shampoo 2000.  The first time I tried it it worked! It looks almost like a salt scrub, but it is for your hair.  I can not use any form of liquid shampoo, so the tea tree shampoos and other suggestions only make the crown of my scalp worse.  If you have tried everything else and they haven't worked I strongly suggest trying LUSH!! its a bit expensive, but honestly worth it.
Hi Everyone,
    This happened to me yesterday for the first time in my life (I'm 27) and have the exact same thing everyone is describing (waxy, sticky, disgusting substance right on the crown of my head). I showered and blow dryed it, left the house and a little while later touched my hair and got really confused. The ends were soft, as usual, and the top was gross. My husband said he saw it when I was blowdrying but just assumed I had missed a spot since it looked wet and didn't say anything. I am relieved (and sad) that so many people experience this. I thought for sure I'd google it and find no one. Since yesterday I have washed my hair twice, to no avail. I am now sitting in a chair with the vinegar solution on my head and a shower cap. I will do this for a few more minutes until I see if we have palmolive to add to it. I too have had no change in diet, no acne... I went off of birth control 10 months ago, so that shouldn't be it. The only other strange symptom that could be related is that my wedding ring finger lately has been red, irratated, scaly, and dry. I have not been able to wear my wedding rings for over a month because of this. I've tried fungus cream on it for the recommended 7 days, hydrocortizone, antibiotic, etc and not much works. My finger had me distressed as I can't wear my beautiful rings and am newly married, and now my hair problem is every further distressing!! :*( i am going to try these options and then finally give in and make an appointment with a doctor if nothing works. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED - i feel so much less alone at least. good luck to everyone with finding a solution that works!
Hi Everyone,
I have the same problem once a year every winter. And I just found a product that took care of it!! I got it at Target. The brand name is Shea Moisture. The product is Purification Masque with plantain enzyme, tea tree and willow bark extract, Organic African Black Soap. For Dry Itchy Scalp, Dandruff, Eczema and Psoriasis. (I literally just copied the entire top label) Its organic, which is awesome! I just put it in at the beginning of my shower, left it on till the end, then rinsed it out and washed my hair like normal. Voila! I was sooo excited! Vo5 HotOil used to work for me, so you can try that too, but it wasn't cutting it this year for me. Hope this helps someone! :)
Ladies, I have had this problem on and off for the past couple of years, there is only one thing I have found that works at all. Wash your hair with a good claryifying shampoo, I've used RPR and KMS they have both worked for me and instead of conditioning your hair, pour 3 capfulls of the brown coloured Listerine mouthwash over the affected area. leave if for a few minutes and then rinse. It will probably tingle a bit, thats normal, when you dry your hair you'll notice that although its not 100% better it is an improvement, if you do this daily it should clear up in a week or two.
hope this helps!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_gland

Hello all - My boyfriend suggested it could be the Sebaceous gland!! I read the above link (to be honest it was a lot to take in, and I still dont quite understand it) but some of you clever people may know what they are talking about??  I am on day three now, and my hair looks and feels horrible, and I too coloured my hair on Sunday (four days ago) with Nice and Easy!  I have to say, I really do think it's normal changes that will need controlling with clever products, but I will try all of the suggestions and hope to control it some how.  Just makes you feel extra grubby when you are already feeling "not that gr8" :(  Good luck to all x x x x
I have had this oily crown for 2 days straight, I am 49, never had this before and I have normally very dry hair.  I have used Nice and Easy conditioner for 1 week straight after highlighting my hair w 3 nice and easy colors - I think nice and easy conditioner (I used red, and then blonde), that came with the hair colors. After reading this blog and seeing others having this problem after using nice and easy, I think the pattern may be due to the conditioners or with the color. At least I am going to stop using them, and see if this clears up.
Hi Everyone, I wanted to leave a quick note to say that I had this a few months ago.  It was totally out of the blue and very disgusting!  I woke up, washed my hair and there was a horrible greasy mass on the crown of my poor little head.  I turned 30 last year, so I was thinking maybe it was hormones.  I still have no clue what caused this, but living with it for 3 days was enough to drive me mad.  I had found this blog and tried the Suave Clarifying shampoo and also bought the listerine.  I used the shampoo once and it worked like a charm!  I didn't have to use the listerine at all, but I have it now for any future outbreaks.  I use the shampoo about 3 times a week - just to prevent any more scary outbreaks.  I hope this helps you - it sure helped me!  THANKS!
Okay - I had the exact same problem - at first I thought it was from the huge amounts of conditioner and hair damage controller I was using as I was getting ready to re- perm my hair - but - after reading someone's post about possibly having a fungus, I started looking to see if I had dandruff etc - my hair is fairly healthy and quite long and I only but salon products. Well, I tried apple cider vinegar diluted with water, it helped but only made my hair frizzy - and maybe lasted for like a day. So I googled anti-fungal shampoo and came up with Nizoral which is sold in the pharmacy and also someone mentioned Paul Mitchell Tee Tree oil shampoo and conditioner - I bought all three. I showered this morning and added a small amount of the Nizoral and let it soak in. Then I did the Paul Mitchell Tee tree shampoo and conditioner - my hair which is normally dry came out even dryer but it was squeaky clean - I added Lanza leave in conditioner so I could get a comb thru - and it worked! I actually straightened my hair today and it looks great!  I hope this helps someone else on this forum :)
This is just an update on the products I used on Saturday (Nizoral and Paul Mitchell's Tee Tree shampoo and conditioner) so hair looked great all day (even straight) didn't wash it Sunday but did a ponytail and went for a 45 min run - on Monday I washed it with my normal shampoo and conditioner - looked great all day - went to the gym and had tan at the salon - still looking good - probably wont wash it tomorrow, but I plan on using the Nizoral one more time (along with my regular stuff) on Wednesday - I don't think I will use Paul Mitchell Tee Tree again (unless I'm desparate) as it really dried out my already dry and damaged hair. But if the Nizoral works and cured it - then I will be very happy indeed!
NIZORAL - it works!!! Washed my hair today without having to add Nizoral - just my regular shampoo and conditioner and a bit of Lanza Leave-In (to combat the dryness) No More Greasy Hair!!!! My scalp is squeaky clean - and I used my mousse and gel and did my hair as normal - I will continue with the Nizoral maybe once a week now for a few more weeks instead of twice a week. So happy to have my hair back to normal!!!
Do you use Nizoral everyday? I'm trying to find a permanent solution where I don't have to go the medicated shampoo route...

I have same problem and I know what it is as I had the same issue of greese scalp and fallen hair 7 years a go also.It is just because of Polycestic ovaries and hormonal disbalance.Please see your Gyne or endocrinologist immediately.I had my ultra sound of pelvis done yesterday I found out PCO.I took an appointment of endo on friday.
Plzzzzz go to your doc....these shampoos cant help
I had a yeast infection. Does your hair get better????How? I've stopped conditioning it and everything nothing will work.
No - I only use the Nizoral when my scalp suddenly gets all oily - I find after I use it I'm good for about 6 weeks then suddenly I get that oily greasy hair - I use a few drops of Nizoral for the next two washings and suddenly I'm good again - hope this helps you :)
In some cases it may very well be a hormonal inbalance, but I find that hard to believe for most of us on this forum - for one thing I get my period regularly and consistently it has never changed from its cycle. I think the greasy hair is just a common thing in summer months or when people increase their aerobic activity. As a former National Level Athlete in women's powerlifting I recall I had a similar problem with my hair when I was training for competition and changed my diet drastically for my sport. The Nizoral does work - I swear by it - much better than the apple-cider vinegar concoction which makes my curly hair frizzy. Plus after two consecutive shampoos with Nizoral my hair goes back to normal for 6-10 weeks and I just use my regular shampoo and conditioner during this time. I let my hair tell me when it's time or Nizoral.
I'm 72 and have had this happen three times over the last few years. I have it now for about two weeks. I just found this page and glad to know I'm and not the only one with this problem. I have used Nice and Easy hair coloring since I was young. I use Vo5 Clarifying shampoo, Nice and Easy conditioner and Fiber gum by Garnier. I have found nothing that  takes away the problem, why the same spot on the top back of my head? Coloring my hair does not take it out. It goes away on its own after a few weeks. The only thing I can retate this to is an alien abduction just befor this happened. I am dead serious about this. I have been taken by them since I was a baby. Yet this sticky hair has only happened three times now. Has any one else experienced an abduction befor they got the sticky hair? Just a thought.I'm going to try some of the products mentioned here . So glad I found this page. Thanks All
I recently had this issue for about two months.  I noticed a quarter size spot near my part that was waxy after I styled my hair and just assumed that I had missed some conditioner.  Eventually it spread everywhere!  This waxy substance started to take over my entire head.  It reached three inches down either side of my part, three inches down the back of my crown and completely ruined my bangs.  I was exasperated, and thought and absolutely hated my hair.  At first I tried some of the home remedies... the brown listerine (it helped in the slightest bit), the baking soda paste (which worked slightly better than the listerine, but still offered none of the results I was looking for), and washing my hair with the blue Dawn.  The blue Dawn offered the most relief from the home remedies ( it improved it about 60%), but I immediately noticed that it was ridiculously unhealthy for my scalp.  Yes, it was helping to get rid of the waxy feeling, but it was drying my scalp out to the point where it was painful.  

Then I found my cure.  The most simple thing ever.  Organix (I'm sure any brand will do, this is just what I found first) teatree oil shampoo and John Freida's Root Awakening conditioner (I found that using the teatree oil shampoo AND conditioner at the same time was causing the ends of my hair to be frizzy and unruly).  It was instant gratification.  After the first shampoo, my hair was back to its old self 100%, More healthy, even.  I implore anyone dealing with this waxy substance to just try a shampoo with any peppermint or teatree oil.  It was an absolute lifesaver for me!!!
Hi I had this condition for a while and cured it very easily. First lower the water temperature when showering, especially when you are wetting your head. Also remove the shower head as far away from your scalp as possible when rinsing your hair. These two things stopped mine forever.
ok - so Nizoral was controlling it but not as much as before and it's also making my hair extensions slip out - so I had to stop using it. I'm wondering if there is a connection between my Acrylic Nails and this waxy greasy sebum build up - I only just started wearing Acrylics for the very first time in May - just when this hair problem started showing up - I wonder if I'm allergic or getting something in my skin from the chemicals used in the nails? Anyone else recently get Acrylics?
So I had the Acrylic Nails removed and already my fingers feel ten times better - thoufgh they look horrid - there is definately fungus under 3 of the fingernails - I'm putting a very strong anti-fungel cream under all the nails twice a day - however I wonder since this fungus was inside my fingernails if it had spread to my scalp through morning hair routimes - shower, combing, styling. I had my MD do some blood work to see if this weird hair thing is related to fungal infection or hormones (androgen?). In the meantime I have found a half decent cure - I do the Nizoral with Apple Cider Vinegar twice a week - First the Nizoral, leave set for 2-3 minutes and attacks the sebum glands, effectively cleaning the scalp - then the Apple Cider Vinegar which restores the PH balance to the hair, then lastly my regular conditioner for damaged hair since the Cider Vinnegar leaves my hair very dry. This works really well and hair is shiny and no grease and can be styled. The inbetween days that i don't use this combo is something I found which is Excellent - Nioxin - I sue level 3 for dyed or permed hair - I just started using it and OH Wow!!! My hair has never felt or looked better - super volume and bounce - and oh yeah - No Grease!!! I'm using the Nioxin 3 Shampoo, Conditioner, leave in Spray, and also the Voluminizer (which is also a leave-in spray). My hair looks freakn' fabulous - like when I was in my twenties!!!! I will update you all once the blood work comes in or if I see a huge improvement now that the Acrylic Nails have been removed.
Hi, I too have same problem waxy & dandruff scalp, so i started to use nizoral shampoo 2%. Now its 1-1/2 month since i start the use twice a week as per the instruction. Sofar i am very much satisfied with the result. I can say It reduce 90%, oil on the scalp, dandruff & also reduce the hair fall.

Quraish

Hey everyone, I am 19 yrs. old and have noticed the same problem on the top of my head within the past week. It started shortly after I dyed my hair with Nice 'n' Easy. I came here to find a way to fix it because it was driving me nuts. Being in college, I'm broke so I don't have any way of getting any of these special products; however, I did happen to have a Burt's Bees blemish stick. Now, you might already know where this is going and you probably think I'm crazy...I am. I dumped the contents of the liquid blemish stick on my head, brushed it through my hair for a few minutes, and then took another shower. When I got out, my hair was perfectly normal again! No disgusting, rubbery/waxy grease spot..no damage because of the blemish stick (I didn't even go bald!), just happy healthy hair again!
For the first time, I switched from Loreal to Nice n Easy about a week ago and ended up with this stiff, greasy, waxy area on the top of my head and spread out down the back.  I could barely brush it, it was so sticky/greasy.  I read all the suggestions here and tried rubbing alcohol, didn't work.  Tried the vinegar and Palmolive and that worked only a little bit, so I decided that short of cutting it all off I was going to use whatever would get rid of this disgusting mess, so I used DAWN dishsoap (it was the purple one but I'm sure any Dawn would work).  "Dawn cuts grease", right?   I got my hair wet, worked it throughout my hair and into a lather really good, then let it sit on my head for 5 minutes.  I could tell as I was rinsing the Dawn out that it had helped, Then I used a clear shampoo and conditioned with Suave Keratin Infusion it and it is TOTALLY GONE!  It is smooth and silky with no hint of oil or grease now.  I don't know without a doublt that it was the Nice'n Easy, but I am not taking any chances - I am never straying from Loreal again, and I threw away the conditioner I got in the pack of Nice n Easy too, I don't know if it was the color or the conditioner but I don't want to take any chances!
I always have oily hair even sometimes RIGHT after i take a shower but i dont use a lot of conditioner. I just used bar soap after all else failed.  I used the Equate unscented bar soap until it covered mostly my scalp and then I used Aussie shampoo and conditioner.  Then I blowdried it and it looked so great.
I've had this same problem for the last few months, I've tried tea tree shampoo with a small improvement and have finally solved the problem with tony and guy cleanse shampoo, it's specifically for product build up and was recommended by my hair dresser after I showed her my hair. Noticed a massive difference the first time I used it and after using it 3 times (with a small amount of conditioner) my hair is normal again! I'm so happy I could cry! I had seriously considered having my head shaved as I was so upset and disgusted by my hair! Thoroughly recommend trying it and a bit of perseverance!
Hi everyone,
It has been 1 horrid week now, my suspicions: 1) Dye my hair with Natural Instincst and have done so before with Creme gloss, i thought it was their conditioner for after dying? I dyed my hair last week.
2)Also i'm 43. age?
3) Also I had a very hot shower and I thought I burnt my scalp or dye? Heat?
These have all been mentioned before....
I have a very waxy, greasy, plastic like texture on the top of my head, I can't get rid of it.
I will try all suggestions, starting right now with tea tree added to baby shampoo that I have here and now. I also agree it can be a fungal issue as I was staying in a rented accommodation for a weekend when the spot appeared, Also I was wearing a helmet and skiing (again, heat)
It is all starting to make sense, let's get to the bottom of it.
Does anyone feel some sort of numbness where the yucky spot is? burning or sensitivity?
off for a wash. good luck all
oh well, tea tree and jonhsons shampoo didn't do the trick, also another factor 4) could it be emotional? i did a lot of crying the day before it appeared, and a few days later... actually i'm still upset.
This is absolutely the only thing that worked for me as well!  I used the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree oil shampoo and conditioner once and it was back to normal.  The problem with in store products is they put candle wax in their conditioner to make it feel smoother when you wash it out and it ends up attaching to your hair and eventually you will have this problem!  As a couponer, I initially had an issue throwing a few extra bucks for a great shampoo and conditioner but, it totally works and it's for all hair types.  Save your money on other things, your hair shouldn't feel like a maple sap tree.
IT WORKS!!!

I have to thank everyone who contributed to this thread.  I was SO perplexed!  I had the oily spot on my crown only and for three weeks, I had to wear my hair in a pony tail!  I'm 48 and have NEVER had a problem with my hair.  I read on here about Pamolive, lemon juice and then a shampoo which deals with the seborrhea dermatitis, so yesterday I used all I had (Dawn) and lemon juice, left it on for 10 minutes and shampooed.  It was a little better!  Then I ran out and got the Pamolive as recommended, did the soak with lemon juice and used Nutragena T-Gel extra strength which deals with the seborrhea dermatitis.  Guess what???  IT'S GONE!!!  It's definitely an oil gone crazy problem and with me, it's probably hormonal.  Going to use the T-Gel a few more times (IT STINKS!) and then go back to my normal routine.  Hope this helps!  SO weird!!
AAUUGGHHH!! Well, it certainly helps to know I am not alone. 49- female. I always switch off products. No more stress than normal. It is at the very top of my head, and before going into the shower ....said hair was FINE, if not a little dry. I have never ever had oily hair. I normally only wash hair 2-3 days apart, and it is highlighted every 3 mo. This happened pior, 1 week after I made a cross country move which was verrrry stressful 6 mo. back, so I chaulked it up to that. Today ....got out of the shower ....and it's back. Same issue....it's at top of my scalp. 6 mo.'s back I called my gal and she said to use a cornstarch talc powder to 'cut it', and after washing and after doing this 3 times ....it went away. She too was stumped and had never heard of such a thing. My life today is great ....no different diet, suppliements .....nothing different. I am more curious as to the cause, that the many cures posted here over the years. OR if anyone has a different cure that has not already been posted. Help!!
Thank you.
Use Teatree oil shampoo !!!!!!! I just used it & it works!!
FOUND A CURE!
I had my greasy sticky sappy hair for about two weeks. Crying as I observed the oozy substance straight after I showered and washed my hair. Nothing helped, I am a faithfull user of Head and Shoulders, so I can say that it does not help.
What helped in my case was to rinse my hair with diluted 1:2 brown vinegar (left it on for about a minute) and than tried to rub my hair with 100% ecological soap bar from LUSH, it did not foam at all, but helped a tad. Not much though. But I was greatfull to see ANY change at all :D.
Today I washed my hair with my son's baby shampoo J&J, I have used half of the bottle, before it started to foam!!! I left it in for 5 mins or so and used conditioner on the tips, rinsed of course.
The sappy THING is ALMOST COMPLETELY GONE!
Good luck to you people :)
I noticed this problem too at age 47 I have had scalp problems for years and no dr seem to get it right..so I quit going back. Big bumps with pus and hair loss...folliculitis maybe so..my dr prescribed nizoral2% and I am rinsing my scalp with Listerine ..no hair conditioner. I use Suave sleek before I style and avoid all products to the scalp. ..looking better not cured
I am having the same problem and have never colored my hair. Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the only one.
I am stopping on my way home and buying the products you have suggested! Wish me luck.  
So glad to see that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I'm 29 years old, no hair issues. So today is Thursday. I normally don't put any product in my hair, but Monday was Grease day at work so we had to dress 50's style. I put some moose in my hair before I blow dried it to make it heavier and easier to style. Tuesday morning I washed my hair in the shower with my normal Head and Shoulders shampoo I've been using for a very long time, dried it and noticed a greasy spot on the top middle of my head. I assumed I must not have washed/rinsed my hair well enough. Wednesday morning, same thing. I washed my hair, making sure to do a thorough job, got out, dried it, still there. Only it seemed to have spread. This morning I washed and rinsed three times with Head and Shoulders in the shower and even with my hair wet I could feel it. It was worse and seemed to be getting worse still with every attempted wash. I got out and dried my hair and it was so bad, it covered the whole top of my head. Not just oily but sticky feeling too. My mom lives with us so I went and grabbed her shampoo and washed and rinsed three more times. Still no good. Now, I'll admit, I'm a little vain and I take pride in my beautiful, straight, shiny, healthy hair. I called my doctor and scheduled an immediate appointment. She looked at my scalp and said she couldn't find anything that signified an infection or worrisome issue at all. She recommended Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo. So I went and got some, went home and washed and rinsed twice and it seemed to be about 50% better. After coming on here and reading others having success with this same product, I went and washed again making sure to lather for a few minutes and let it sit for a minute or so before I rinsed. It's about 90% gone now. I would definitely recommend this product. I still don't know what caused this issue. Others on here have attributed it to stress and hormones. I will say, I did start my period on Tuesday morning, same time the symptoms started. I'm also a high stress individual to begin with and I am beginning to make decision on changes in my life that have me a little worried about finances. So perhaps the hormone/stress idea is not too far fetched.
Nioxin worked for me!
I tried a few of the remedies listed here, and the only thing that worked for me was Nioxin (actually the generic Target version of it). Lathered and washed, repeated again. Did this for two days, by the second day the gross oily/waxy patch was completely gone! It's now been two weeks and it hasn't come back. Will definitely keep a bottle on hand in case this happens again, since this is the second time it's happened in the last year.
I'm 32 years old, haven't dyed my hair in a few months, and wash it every day. I've tried numerous clarifying shampoos, tea tree shampoo & conditioner, baby shampoo, dandruff shampoo, etc. Even my hairdresser had no more suggestions. The generic Nioxin doesn't smell too pleasant, but didn't dry my hair out as bad as I expected it to. I just won't use it any longer than I have to, and made sure to use conditioner on the ends.
Best of luck to everyone else dealing with this, it was terrible. Thanks for all the posts and suggestions, I'm so relieved something finally worked.
Someone mentioned a remedy and I tried it and it WORKED.. I mixed some original (green) Palmolive with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice (no real measurements).. Applied to my dry hair and let sit about 15 minutes, then rinsed in shower and used a head and shoulders 2in1.. And my oily spot is FINALLY gone!!!
Thank you to whomever posted this suggestion!
Hi Everyone, I see this thread has been ongoing since 2008, a lot of common stories and treatment suggestions but I really want to find out why this is happening. A number of posts have suggested that this is fungal, seborrheic dermatitis, or hormonal, and perhaps all 3 can lead to this condition but it would be great if we could find the truth. A number of people have spoken to their doctors and hair stylists about it and many seem to have received the same response that I did, as if I had two heads and why would I ask them about this??? I too have the same story as everyone here, an oily/waxy crown just after washing my hair. I tried the baking soda treatment and it mostly worked, I can still feel my hair is a bit waxy but I doubt anyone else would notice, but I have to use baking soda each time I wash or it comes back. In order to help find commonalities between us here's a bit about me, maybe this will help to find a common denominator and get to the root of the problem (no pun intended!):

I am 44 years old and peri-menopausal, I have used Infusium shampoo and conditioner for more than 20 years (but do not condition the crown of my head), I wash every 1 - 2 days consistently, I have not colored or used product in my hair for years, I have not been diagnosed with any chronic conditions and do not take any prescriptions medications, but have been fighting a plantar wart for a long time now, I recently suffered a severe case of contact dermatitis in response to 'fragrance' that is found in many cosmetics, for which I took prednisone and benedryl, and lastly I take a number of daily supplements: Lysine, vitamin D, folic acid, saw palmetto, and probiotics, I hope this helps!