Why is my skin peeling?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Why is my skin peeling?

For several years now, my skin on both my hands peels.  I don't know why this happens. It starts on my fingertips and then will go down into my palms and almost up onto the top part of my hand.  It is very embarrassing!  What is causing it and is there anything to help?

Thanks!
there's a possibility that it's some type of dermatitis where your coming in contact with something that's causing your skin to peel. Sometimes people deal with nickel allergies and other things that cause similar results.

You can also go to your doctor to find out if this is some sort of ichthyosis (basically the skin overproduces and peels on an area of the body)
Various possibilities for peeling fingertips are contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.