Dermatology Expert Forum
Why is the external area around my penile urethral opening red and sore...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Why is the external area around my penile urethral opening red and sore?

For the past 3 months, the external area around my penile urethral opening has looked slightly swollen and red. It is slightly painful and raw and it becomes more painful during an erection. I am 100% STD free so that is not the cause. I have shown this to many doctors and a urologist. The general consensus is that it is just an irritation. Although i do have a clear discharge from time to time. The doctors that i have shown suggest that the discharge could be prostate fluid. I have not altered my bathing routines so i dont think its simple soap irritation. I dont think its fungal related as i have used antifungal creams like Hydrozole. And i dont think its bacterial as i have taken antibiotics like keflex (two courses 500mg and doxycycline two courses 50mg and 100mg). I have tried just leaving it alone which did nothing and I have tried rubbing "lucas paw paw ointment", a natural perfume free substance on it. That seemed to do nothing also. I went to the doctors again today and he gave me some pervaryl cream. I am sceptical that it will help as it is just another anti fungal cream. Any suggestions as to what it is and what can clear it up?
Everything you've written suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with you at all.  I advise you to ignore the swelling you see, since it doesn't mean anything, and not to treat it with anything.  

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Ok i will certainly do my best to ignore it. I do understand the power of anxiety in situations like this. Final question, I have been told i am STD free by my Doctor. I have had three lots of tests over the past 3 months since i have begun feeling these symptoms. All tests have shown negative. My worry is that when i went to collect the herpes blood result, it wasnt ready. The doctor rang pathology and they said the test was inconclusive/equivicol and that they were not happy to release it. They said they would re-run the test the next day. The result came back negative the next day. My doc said it was more then likely a testing error and not to worry. At that point it had been just over 11.5 weeks since i begun to feel my symptoms. I know 12-16wks is the ultimate testing time for herpes. Maybe the antibodies were just beginning to show up in that first test. What are your thoughts on this?
A related discussion, red raw on head of penis was started.