Why is the skin on my shaft peeling?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Why is the skin on my shaft peeling?

I just noticed skin is peeling on the shaft of my penis, it isn’t painful and it isn’t dry. The tip of my penis was red and irritated and had been chaffed raw due to excessive wiping of the tip after I urinated. I went to Planned Parenthood clinic a couple months ago because I found a red spot on the shaft of my penis. I was tested and came back clean. The doctor who examined me said the spot was normal.
   The penile tip irritation has been here for about 3 weeks now and I got examined about a week ago by a doctor. The doctor said it was a topic skin irritation. He said if it didn’t go away to go back in 2 weeks and see him again (which I am going to do).  I have been abstinent since the first tests. But I did notice the shedding 1-2 before a few weeks ago on the shaft of my penis. I thought it was toilet paper residue but now I know it can’t be because I didn’t wipe it at all yesterday and I took a shower earlier that day and then a bath later that night. I was told to use Neosporin a few times daily and I was but yesterday I didn’t apply anything.
    I am extremely worried because it has been one problem after another and now my shaft is peeling and red . It is like a red line on either side of the shaft. Only minor to no itching. No discharge. No discharge. No pain and no burning when I pee. No blisters or chancres. Nothing. I don’t know what the heck is going on and it is really freaking me out! Can someone offer me some advice as to what is going on? I wasn't sure where to post this either. Also I don't notice the skin peeling, I only know about it because when I go to urinate I'll look down and see these white little white balls on it. It's hard to describe. When I peel it off it doesn't hurt like it is attached still, it looks like wet dead skin and it doesn't leave raw patches underneath. The skin is just a little red.
From the symptoms it can be due to fungal infection or dermatitis skin. Also the possibility of balanitis penis needs to be ruled out. It is an inflammation of the glans (glands) penis as a result of bacterial or fungal infection, irritation from chemicals in clothing, or an unknown cause.

Oral course of antibiotics is needed. In addition, don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin.Also corticosteroids and topical immunosuppressants can be used but they are available under prescription. Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then please consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank you so much :)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for your kind words. Best wishes.
I went to my doctor he prescribed Nystatin. He said it looks like a fungal infection.
Confuzzled I have the same symptoms. I plan on going to the doctor. Did you find out what it was for sure? Im worried, please help. im going through what you went through...thanks
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers