Why steroids willl worsen the fungal infection?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi Dr,
I read one of the posts stating that diagnosis is crucial and need to be confirmed and determined correctly from a dermatologist as treatment is entirely different. Steroids may be needed in dermatitis but these may aggravate the condition if it is a fungal infection. Why does it worsen and aggravate? TQ
Topical steroids change the way the immune system functions, and hence they can inhibit the skin’s ability to fight off bacterial or fungal infections. Steroids can also cause tinea incognito which is a fungal infection (mycosis) of the skin caused by the presence of steroids. The resulting rash is a bizarre pattern of widespread inflammation with pustules.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Dr,
Thanks a lot, your feedback is greatly appreciated