Dermatology Expert Forum
Will circumcision help me?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Will circumcision help me?
I have had psoriasis on the glans and on the inside of the foreskin for about 6 years.  I am 24.  I have tried countless topical creams, ointments, tar, etc. and nothing provides relief.  The glans gets a bit red and irritated, but the real problem are the fissures on the inside of the foreskin caused by inverse psoriasis. These are extremely painful and make sex and showering hurt and often prevent me from having sexual activity.  It is excruciatingly painful.  These fissures sometimes bleed after sex, and once the foreskin swelled up as if it had been injected with water.  The problem is only getting worse.  The fissures have also caused the foreskin to tighten, which makes everything worse, and the frenulum has now been torn and hurts and has scar tissue on it.

I am scheduled to have a circumcision in a couple of weeks to alleviate this problem.  I understand that it will not cure the psoriasis on the glans, nor will it prevent me from getting psoriasis elsewhere on the penis. But I am told by my dermatologist and by numerous urologists that it will help the psoriasis on the foreskin (obviously, by removing it) and will help to aerate the area, which will also help.

Basically I would like as many opinions as necessary because I consider circumcision a last resort.  I am doing it only begrudgingly, and would like to know your opinion as to whether it will help.  Also, I do not think other therapies- phototherapy, oral medication, etc, would be appropriate for me bc the psoriasis on other parts of my body is very minimal.

Thank you,

Colin
Colin:

I agree with your physicians and think you are doing the right thing.  Even if you get psoriasis on the shaft or glans, topical creams will help fast and well.  I can't think of any other approach which would be likely to help.  Circumcision is the way to go.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff