Woke up with 1 swollen eyelid...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Woke up with 1 swollen eyelid...

For the past months over on my right browbone Ive had a small patch hard flaky sometimes red skin on and off, it started off very small and seems to be getting spreading but not coming back as intense as the first times, and there is tiny bit under my left eyelid now
Last night I threaded my eye brows, cleansed my face and put on aloe gel (not my typical routine)
through the night my right top eyelid was itching to I rubbed it several times
I woke up this morning and my right eye lid is swollen and I feel just light pressure

also, I went to bed pretty late last night (4 am?), and at that time it was fine
now that I look closer the small affected area under my left eye is swollen as well, I took a hot shower which has not helped
Last night I was my entire face with a sensitive cleanser, even my eyes and its burned the now affected area a bit, could that be it? the rest of my face is fine
From the symptoms, one possibility is of insect bite. The second possibility is of angioedema. Unexplained swelling of the face, eyes, ears etc without any predisposing disease is frequently caused by allergies. An allergic reaction can occur suddenly, even in a person with no previous history of allergy. This swelling is called angioedema. Diagnosis is by clinical examination and complete blood tests, electrolytes and renal function tests. Treatment is by antihistaminics like Benadryl or Zyrtec and steroids. If the symptoms persist then please get it evaluated from a physician.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

It sounds like an allergic reaction.

Have you used any new products?  If not, even things you have been using may now be causing an allergic reaction.  I'm inclined to think it's one of a few things, based on what you've said:

-Your facial products - wash, gel, etc.
-cosmetics
-laundry detergent

If it is an allergic reaction, the swelling should go away gradually on it's own, but will return (and sometimes worsen) when you've been exposed to the allergen again.  

I had an allergic reaction to Tide w/Bleach Alternative after using it for years.  For awhile, I had reddish patches of skin, that peeled.  I didn't know what was going on.  Then I swelled up all over one morning (thankfully not a work day!) and again Sunday when toweling off - realized it was detergent (I didn't use any cleaning products on Sunday, only rinsed with water and towelled off).  

Start eliminating anything that you use in the affected area.  Then slowly reintroduce things until you find the culprit.

If the swelling does not go down, or things continue to worsen, get to a doctor quickly and have them investigate.

I hope you feel better very soon, take care.