Dermatology Expert Forum
Worried about this red lesion

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Worried about this red lesion

I am a 34 yrs old.  I have fair skin, freckles and a fair amount of moles. 4 yrs ago a dermatologist removed 2 moles from my back for biopsy, but they were both benign.  He also noted that I have several dermatofibroma's on my legs.   3 yrs ago, I noticed a round reddish lesion start to appear on my leg.  I figured it was a dermatofibroma because at the time, it did look like it.  It  grew over the first year and is now 5mm by 4mm.  I have a picture of myself taken 2 summers ago and when you enlarge it you can see it.  Judging from this pic, it looks like it was about the same size back then that it is now.  If it has grown in the past 2 yrs, it would only have grown about 1mm .   Recently, I read an article about dermatofibroma's, and Hutchinson's Sign.  Well it does NOT dimple when squeezed. To me, it doesn't  feel like it is fixed to underlying structures .  So I started looking for info on what else this could be and of course I found Amelanotic Melanoma.  I had no idea that a melanoma could be red or have no dark pigment.    I went to my GP, who passed it off as a keloid/scar tissue, but I demanded a referral to a dermatologist.  Here in Canada, the wait is ridiculous.  I  have to wait until Nov. to see a specialist, and I think I  might have a an anxiety attack.  
It does blanch with pressure, and when it is blanched you can see faint tanish pigment underneath.  It is just barely raised....just enough that you can feel it when you run your finger over it.  I  knicked it  while shaving, however it did not bleed or anything, and the knicked part scabbed over and heeled  within a week.  
What are the  features of Amelanotic Melanoma, especially one that would have been growing for at least 2 yrs?  
What other benign lesion could it be?    
I have attached a picture link. . http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1770/9676347/17575809/273614926.jpg

Looks like a dermatofibroma to me, not a melanoma.  You don't always see dimpling with dermatofibromas.  I'm sorry you have to wait so long, but it doesn't look to me as though you're going to find out anything unpleasant.  Try calling for cancellations.  Meantime, I suggest you skip the internet research and relax.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Oops, meant to say Fitzpatrick's Sign in regards to Dermatofibroma's.
I should also add that it is quite smooth to the touch....not crusty, bumpy or dry, and unlike Keloid's, it does not itch.  
Thanks for the response.  I am a bit relieved to hear that a dermatofibroma does not dimple.  I do notice that all of my other dermatofibromas has a very distinct white hard center (the part that dimples in) while this other lesion does not have that.  It is just red and when blanches it looks almost like a freckle because of the tan coloration.  
That last experience (the 2 biopsies) was a really stressful time for me, and now that I am a mom of 2 small children, I tend to be a bit of a worry wart:(  I called the dermatologist and they managed to move me up to Sept.6th, so hopefully all of this worrying will be over soon.