Worried...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Worried...

I began to notice the skin on the tip of my right 2 fingers began to crack. Then, they bagan scabing. I thought it would go away because i thought I had gotten burned. It goes from the tip of my fingers to my nuckles and the skin is thin and very sensitive. It's been a few months already, and now I think it's beginning to spread to my left hand.  I keep getting cuts that are hard to heal and the skin is really thin. I have no known medical problems. I am a very healthy 23 year old female that works out on a regular basis. What should I do?
Various possibilities for peeling fingertip are trauma and allergic or irritant contact dermatitis like washing dishes without wearing gloves,contact with harsh detergents,soaps and lotions that contain perfume can cause hands and fingertips to become irritated and peel.Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling. In your case I feel that it can be due to eczema or contact dermatitis.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections have to be ruled out then.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.