Dermatology Expert Forum
Wrinkled Thumbnail
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Wrinkled Thumbnail

My left hand appears to have spots of dry skin on the palm that only disappear (when they disappear) with continuous applications of any of various skin lotions. Beyond that, my left thumbnail now is growing wrinkled, with small crosswise irregular ridges. No other fingernail on either hand nor toenail is wrinkled or odd. I do have spots (like pimples) that itch break out at random over my body, but I just live with that; my dermatologist has not been able to help.

What would cause a wrinkled thumbnail? Is there a cure? Could you suggest something for the itch points?
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Wrinkled nails usually reflect inflammation of the skin at the base of the nail.  If you have eczema or redness there (or if you pick at it), that would explain things.  Fungus does not generally cause involvement of one nail on one hand.

I can't think of any relationship between this and the itch points on your palm (probably a mild form of eczema) or the pimples on the body (most likely folliculitis.)

Except for the moisturizing you're already doing, I can't think of anything else worthwhile for the palms.

For specific diagnosis of the nail, I recommend a visit to a dermatologist.  One visit should suffice.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank