Wrinkles and very dark knuckles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Wrinkles and very dark knuckles

3102885?1214877803
I have developed wrinkles on my finger knuckles over the last eight months(both the hands). The skin on the knuckles and the finger joints has been turning dark since then. I have visited a dermatologist and he said that it's not a symptom of any disease and hasn't prescribed any medication. I started using the L'oreal creams and all but nothing changed. The dark skin and the wrinkles look distinctly visible. I am loosing sleep over this because I don't know what to do.  Please advice what's the treatment/remedy for this problem.
Wrinkles on the skin of knuckles is normal.However the pigmentaation is probably due to extremely dry skin or a reaction to friction.The wrinkles might appear more prominent to you due to the dryness of the skin.
Hyperkeratosis is a thickening of the skin that occurs to protect it against rubbing, pressure and irritation. It is due to excessive accumulation of keratin in the outer layers of the skin.
The majority of the forms of hyperkeratosis are painless. Most treatments are aimed at softening the keratin and removing the thickened skin. This may be accomplished with topical creams that contain as the active ingredient salicylic acid, alpha-hydroxy acid (lactic or glycolic acid), urea, or tretinoin.
In brown skin, discoloration often accompanies the hyperkeratosis and skin lightening creams like Hydroquinone  may also be used.
Also keep the darkened areas well moisturized always. It may take 2-3 months before you see any improvement.
ref:http://www.brownskin.net/hyperkeratosis.html
Aparna,

Thaks a lot for your insights. I was able to find more info about this problem and the condition i have matches closely with the case identified in fig 6 in the below article:

http://podiatry.wordpress.com/2007/02/08/congenital-hyperkeratosis-of-the-hand-and-foot-variances-discovered-in-the-clinical-presentation-of-palmoplantar-keratosis-ppk/

Can you pls advice any over the counter drugs, that contain the ingredients mentioned above to treat 'hyperkeratosis' and 'skin discoloration caused by hyperketarosis'.  If not, pls advice the prescription drugs to treat the above conditions. I can talk to my dermatologist and have him precribe me those drugs.

You are doing a wonderful job here. Bless You!!

Thanks.
Aparna,

Thanks.
Acanthosis nigricans,
This occurs due to insulin spillover (from excessive production due to obesity or insulin resistance) into the skin which results in its abnormal growth, and the stimulation of color producing cells (melanocytes).

The most common cause would be insulin resistance, usually from type 2 diabetes mellitus.
hii.. i used to stay in india and i never had this probleum before.. but now i shifted to scotoland ever since i shifted my knuckles hav become darkkk.....
hards and toes .. i guess its bcoz of the cold weather......
plz sugest something good.
same with me, after moving to London, I started getting this problem.
I think it is related to the eating habbits. I am going to rule out each food one by one. First I am going to start with stop drinking tea.Do you drink tea every day?
simple home remedy:
RUB RED ONINON on finger knuckles 10 minutes everyday, for over a period of 3 months(continously), and see the miracle.

ckp72
Mine started after knee surgery and using a walker. I thought it might be from the tension of holding on but it has been 10 months now. Also my cat is very interested in it and licks my knuckles for as long as I can tolerate it. Actually that helped some!
Hi All,

My name is Amar and i am facing the same problem on my both fingers i.e
Wrinkles and very dark khunkles since 2005 and i have taken treatment from 3-4 skin doctors as of now but still this has not improved.

I been fedup because of this skin problem not once within a day but yes
24X7 since 2005.

I would request you(all of you guys) if you have any medicine/treatment
then please mark me an email on why_amar***@****.

Thanks&Regards,
Amar
I am facing same problem after coming to Tokyo and sometimes I find myself very stressed over it. Mine is turning to light brown color and I also feel muscle fatigue.
Please if you have any solution comment it
My email is.  ***@****
Dagi!
Thank you
I'm having a similar issue. I used to live in Nigeria and now I am in Scotland, my knuckles have become dark and wrinkled and i'm scared of them getting any worse. Can I further enlightenment to make them better?
go to cellpowerusa.com get some cell power and put a few drops on your knuckles, this works better than eucerin, or other hand creams, cell power is made from fruits and veggies stored in a big vat in water under the sun in plam springs for 7 months, when bottled it's very potent.  So potent it stopped the spread of my stage 2 melanoma in 2011.  You can apply it to all kinds of skin problems and you can drink it.  It balances your ph so your body becomes alkaline.  Cancer can't survive in alkaline cells... so go figure why people are still looking for cures, it's right there and has been for 60 years now.  Also it oxygenates the blood which is huge in healing.  I also take the healthy greens, if you ever wanted to see everything green in one pill there it is!  The company is great!