Yeast Infection, Male - Question

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Yeast Infection, Male - Question

Hi All,

Quick question.

A while back, my primary care doc saw some red rashes under my foreskin that he thought were the start of a herpes outbreak, even though I had no pain, itching or blisters/sores.  Gave me Valtrex, but after one day of dosing, the red rashes were virtually gone.  I saw a dermatologist the next day who said that Valtrex wouldn't cause a herpes outbreak to go away in 24 hours.  Also, since I've had cold sores on my lip (for at least 5-6 years) he says it's unlikely I'd get it genitally.

My question is, is that he took a swab for fungal/yeast infection.  I'm uncircumcised.  Within two days he called me and said it came back positive for yeast (candida).  However, isn't it true that we ALWAYS have yeast on our bodies and don't men ALWAYS have yeast under their foreskins?  My derm said that the test could pick up normal yeast or a yeast infection (he swabbed some areas that were still mildly red).  Didn't know if it's likely that the test could've been picking up normal yeast instead of an actual yeast infection...

Thanks.
It can be dry skin or balanitis. It can be due to friction rub or balanitis. Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans (glands) (the rounded head) of the penis and may be related to yeast infection or poor hygiene. What you need to do is consult a dermatologist and get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings of the penis and a biopsy of small skin sample done if the symptoms persist. KOH examination of the area will clarify whether it is balanitis due to fungal infection or not.
Also use water based lubricants during sex.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.