Dermatology Expert Forum
Yeast Infection?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Yeast Infection?

For the last 8 months, about one week before my period starts I get itching on my labias followed by burning in the vagina. I have tried over the counter medication, Canesten helps reduce the itch, Monistat makes burning worse. I had a swab taken by my family doctor 4 mo ago and it showed nothing, no yeast.I took an oral medication for yeast but it didn't help.
Cortison cream helps with the itching a lot but I wander if it would be dermatitis, would it go to the vagina also? Can I use cortisone cream in the vagina? Could it be some hormonal problem since it goes away after my period ends? What should I use to cure this problem?
Yes, dermatitis can affect the vagina, and yes, you can use cortisone in that area.  Your doctor may want to consider prescribing one of the nonsteroid anti-dermatitis creams like tacrolimus or pimecrolimus.  I doubt it's hormonal, and it's clearly not infectious.  You may need to treat this for some time before it remits.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have had the exact problem as the last woman.  About 5 days before my period, I get an itchy rash of some sort, which goes away a few days after my period.  It is painful, and the yeast infection creams distress it.  

I don't understand why you think it isn't hormonal.  What is a nother reason it may come right before my period every month?

Mine has gone on a year.  I have been to the doctor numerous times.  

I will ask about the Dermatitis.

I have the same symptoms,however, I have genital herpes and I believe hormonal stress causes this symptom.  I do not recall this occuring prior to the contracting of herpes. Those of you who do not know herpes out breaks tend to occur with bouts of stress(PMS). Beaware,you may not have had sores or lesions you just might be one of the lucky ones who have mild symptoms, unlike those who suffer from chronic herpetic out breaks.