Dermatology Community
Yellow/Waxy crusts on scalp
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Yellow/Waxy crusts on scalp

I am a 24 year old male that is experiencing progressive hair loss. Lately, I have noticed these yellowish/brownish,waxy crusts on the crown area of my scalp. These waxy crusts attach themselves to hair follicles, and if picked at, come off with clumps of hair (sometimes 4 or 5 hairs together). These crusts do not itch or burn. I also have some redness/flaking skin occurring around my nose, eyebrows and forehead. I have done some research and the symptoms of my scalp and face seem to be consistent with seborrhiec dermatitis. Any help with treatment possibilities would be appreciated.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I myself have had the same sort of thing lucky you had no burning it does sound like seborrhiec dermatitis using an anti dandruff shampoo such as nizorelle (costs about £5.00) contains ketocozanle which acts as an anti fungal ingredient and can also be used as a body wash (so my doc informs me) in the dry hair only formulation it uses collagen to nourish and repair the hair shaft as well as improving overall condition.
hope this helps :-)
Blank
Hello,

The yellow waxy crusts on the scalp are due to dandruff and it can cause seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp and face. Use over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist,then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist.Hope it helps.

Hope it helps.Kind regards.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank