Yellow crust on lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Yellow crust on lips

For the last two days I have woken up with a yellow, crumbly crust covering my lips. I have been applying Vaseline liberally, and while that helps keeps my lips nice and moist, I still have this crust developing and I often feel as though my lips are weeping or sweating.

Is this an infection? If it is, will I need a prescription for an antibiotic cream or is there one I can get OTC? It started off as regular chapped lips, but I think the chap is largely gone now thanks to the Vaseline. I sometimes feel like they are burning a little too.

My lips itch slightly around the outside too. It looks as though there may be some very small raised bumps on my lips, with no heads or anything, like it's a rash - but I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't look like cold sores. I and my  boyfriend were tested for all STD's recently and came up clear, but I may go to a clinic to get herpes ruled out just to ease my mind. I would have seen a doc about this already but I am overseas right now so it's tricky.

Stats:
Age - 19
Non-smoker
History of eczema, but not on or around the face, and not seen for years
I don't lick my lips, I use Chap Stick quite a lot because I do get chapped lips easily
Iron deficiency runs in family, but is usually not a problem for me because I include lots of iron and Vit-C in my diet
As far as I know, I'm perfectly healthy otherwise and haven't been ill in months.
Can I please get an answer on this? I want to go to the drug store tonight and it would be helpful to know what I should get. Thanks.
Just wanted to update, since the docs on this site have been no help...

Went to the drugstore and bought an antibacterial cream, and a 1% hydrocortisone cream. I put the antibacterial cream on my lips first, taking care not to get it inside my mouth, then coated it over with the cortisone... woke up the next morning to a drastic improvement. No crust, no weeping, my lips have healed beautifully. I still don't know what the initial problem was but I suspect an infection.

Just wanted to post that in case anyone is having a similar problem.
I think I have this same condition.  Have tried leaving the crust on there (allowing it to heal?) but it doesn't change in a few days.  Also, you pretty much have to peel it off in the morning.

I will try the anti-bacterial ointment tonight and hopefully it will stop crusting.  I think mine is caused by chapped lips as well.  Perhaps the weakened lips from being chapped allowed easier infection or infection spread.
just to update, it looks like this is working quite well for me.  After one application of anti-bacterial ointment, the liquid has mostly stopped coming out, and the crustiness is gone!!  After a few applications and a day, I feel like it's really starting to heal.  The rawness of my lips is gone, and I just need probably another day to get back to normal.  Big thanks to the above poster for putting the information up.  You saved me a week of humiliation and probably $100 bucks from the doc visit.

Apparently yellow = bacteria infection, if itchy then think fungal infection for skin conditions.  At least this is my experience with common skin problems.
i think this is happening to me to, i will try the above, and hopefully post later on condition
hey can you guys write the exact antibectirial ointment that you used. I have the same condition and i went to a pharmacist all they could tell me to do was visit a doctor. I hope you guys can help, thanks.
hydrocortisone. follow the directions.
I had the exact symtoms (symptoms) and took your advice.  It works!  I went to pharmacy and purchased 1% hydrocortizone and an anti-bacterial cream (polysporin).  Within hours my condition was substantially better.  It's now been 24 hours and it's almost gone.  THANK YOU for sharing...you saved me $110 plus.  
This is a recurring problem for me. When I was a kid it happened a lot, but it slowed down quite a bit once I got older. It's only happened to me twice in the last 5-6 years (I'm 24 btw).

It always starts as a weird feeling on my top lip. It's like the skin feels thicker or has a weird taste to it. Then small bumps start to form, almost like a rash. After that, the yellow crust starts to form. If I scratch it off, a yellow liquid leaks out until it crusts over again. There's always a burning and itching around the outside of my lip. After a few days it begins to heal. The crust goes from a bright yellow to a darker color, and it can be removed without anymore liquid occurring, kind of like a scab.

I went to a doctor who told me it was herpes, but I don't think that's the case. I have very dry skin that gets red and itchy at joints occasionally. My lips are always peeling if I don't keep them moisturized. I think it might have something to do with eczema (which my dad has), or an infection that gets into the cracked skin on the lips.

I'm in the middle of it right now. Two days ago I had some really greasy pizza. It seemed to occur almost instantly after that. It calmed down a bit throughout the night until I had more of the pizza. It got a lot worse after that. I'm not positive it had anything to do with the grease, but it seemed to correspond.

I usually let it heal naturally because I always feel like peeling off the crust will make it worse. I really don't feel like walking around with this for a week though. I have both antibacterial cream and hydrocortisone here, so I'll give this a try and report back.
As far as anti-bacterial goes... would a triple anti-biotic of neosporin also work? Ive never heard of Polysprin. Where could I get it? I have had this condition for the last 3 days now.
Has anyone found out what this condition might be caused from?
I noticed that when it when it weeps it contagiously spreads. I have been using the triple anti-biotic since the beginning, and still have it for 3 days now. Very uncomfortable. I believe it started from using a medicated chap stick which made my lips feel numb at first, then chapped from the inside, tiny bumps, then burning, then weeping. Allergic reaction, I think?
Ibuprofen and the triple-antibiotic seems to help with the uncomfortable pain.

I tried the suggestions mentioned above, but no result. My lips continue to get more bumps, aquired more crust, had more weeping, became more inflammed, and even seem to contagiously spread to the parts of my face surrounding my mouth...
So I went to my Doctor yesterday afternoon and he confrimed I had a lip allergy. A lip allergy from using a medicated chap stick supposed to get rid of cold sores!! It was called Armstrongs chap stick. Maybe I'm allergic to an ingredient in it. Nevertheless I won't be using that again.
Anyway, my Doctor prescribed me a really good allergy cream called Fluocinonide 0.05% (texture of cake frosting) to be applied liberally throughout the day. It calms swelling, redness, and helps heal the lips from the bumps, crusting, and weeping. When you take it, you'll feel alittle warm but thats because it needs to get absorbed in the skin, it goes away after a bit. You can take Ibuprofen or something if it bothers you too much.
He also gave me a small prescription for Prednisone tablets, 10 mg, to be taken only for 3 days. In 24 hours my lip condition decreased dramatically!!!
I believe that the cream did most of the work.
I hope this will help. I had a severe allergic case.
I have the same thing, cracked, mostly near the sides of my mouth, weeping a lot with yellow fluid that dries up.  I've used Cherry Carmex a few times in the past few days, perhaps it iritated it, not sure. I've never had this before.

Curious if the fluoucinonide is working.

thanks!
The first couple of posts sounded like impetigo. The more recent posts are proof that you can't always use the itnernet to solve your medical problems. Steroid creams can exacerbate infections. Antibiotic creams may not be enough for severe impetigo. They definitely don't work for allergic reactions to chapstick.
my lips were literally addicted to chapstick since the 5th grade cause i used it literally every 20 min..now i am in 12th grade and was at the point that i couldnt eat, drink anything spicy or sour..nothing..it was getting ridiculous..after they were so compeltely damaged i got this crust that everyones talking about that dries yellow but its so thin it wipes right off...i tried bacatracin in the morning and all day then put just 1% hydrocortisone on night and it cleared it compeltely after 2 days..i got this from obviously have extremly damaged lips..and if anyone has my problem of addiction to chapstick where if i dont put it on for more then 5 min my lips literally turn red and burn as if i havent used chapstick in years ...follow these steps.."

Apply cool, salt-soaked cloths to the lips everyday to hydrate the lips. Seal in the moisture with a lip balm containing waxes or lanolin.( i used "Bag Balm" its in a green square tin) In extreme cases, apply hydrocortisone ointment under the lip balm. Avoid frequent lip licking. Change lipstick to rule out allergies. Apply lip balm with sunscreen before venturing into the sun. Use a humidifier indoors whenever possible. Increase water intake in the winter months to further hydrate the skin."
im having the same problems with my lips for 2 months now,it has happen 4 times within this 2 month period,i do get cold sores but this is no cold sore,this usually happens when i tend to stay out in the sun too long,im jus thinking bout going to see a doc about this,do anybody know wat this condition is called?this stuff is making me really depress and its embarrising!!!!
I recently have experienced the same symptoms of the weeping, yellow crust on lips.

It started with cracked, chapped lips, and applied Blistex to help heal my lips. Only my lips did not heal. They started appearing swollen, with reddness on inner lips, yellow crust on tops of lips, no pain but about as uncomfortable as a badly chapped lip.

On the 4th day I went to go see a doctor; he diagnosed me with a condtion called Impetigo which is a bacterial infection that is very contagious.I must say if you look up the condition the pictures can be scary, but if you take medicine and take proper precautions you will be just fine. My doctor prescribed me acyclovir as well as recommended topical neosporin. For me, the neosporin seemed to make my lips more irritable, so this is what I did:

1) Take Acyclovir as prescribed.
2) Wash hands constantly.
3) Wash lips with antibacterial soap.
4) Rinse mouth with antibacterial soap. (helps get top inner part of lips)
5) Apply Vaseline with a Qtip on top and inner part of lips. (throught day and just before bed)
6) Avoid touching lips. (If you do wash hands immediatly with antibacterial soap)
7) Wash pillow covers, bed sheets, and towels after each use. (Better to be safe than sorry)

Well this is day 6 and lips are not swollen any more and seem to be healing up great.

Thank you for the information you all provided, it gave me great direction!

I
I've been suffering with the same problem with my lips... It started in Oct. of 2009, and has been flaring up off and on since then.  I do suffer from psoriasis (PPP, only affects my hands and feet), but that is in remission right now and has been for several years.  I went to see a demotalogist last week, he was very busy, and really made me feel like he wasn't listening to me, took a look at my lips and said I had a yeast infection (there is nothing in my mouth, like thrush, it's only on my lips), he prescribed an antifungual cream.  I took the prescription to my local pharm, they said the cream he'd prescribed was a very  very expensive prescription, and told me that the exact same thing was sold over the counter, its an antifungal cream for athletes foot and jock itch!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've been using it for about 4 days now just applying it to the outside edge of my lips, and the corners. Today I noticed my lips seemed to be getting somewhat better, they weren't weeping and i wasn't waking up with the hard scabby like junk on them.  Then this afternoon I ate some shrimp, just thawed from the freezer, nothing on it, no cocktail sauce or anything.  About 1/2 hour later my lips swelled up, started weeping so much that the clear liquid was running down my to my chin, then they began go bleed slightly.  I've never had any allergies to food, in fact I'd just eaten shrimp last week, and not had this reaction.  I'm very confused, and in a ton of pain right now, my lips are burning like crazy!!  I am going to make an appointment with another derm (thank goodness I have health insurance) and see if this one is any better,  and if he/she has any other suggestions.  In the meantime I'll continue to use the antifunal, not eat any more shrimp(?).. and also continue to buy stock in the vaseline company, being that's what i put on my lips continuously all day.
I have had this same condition for 3 months
I have to use the 1%Hydrocortisone & Poly Bacitracin daily on my lips
When I wipe it off.....its starts to puss & crust over
I am trying Fluocinide 0.05% on my lips tonight
Hopefully this works....will keep posted
I've had this for several weeks now, at least.  I can actually trace it back further, perhaps, to when I used Just For Men facial hair dye about six weeks ago.  The dye, which I applied to my mustache according to the instructions, burned any skin it made contact with very severely, and even though it didn't get on my lips during application, contact made while rinsing was enough.  The entire area was red and hurt, and after initially subsiding for several days, the redness (not the pain) returned and along with it, dryness and chapped lips.  I used Carmex lip balm to help my lips (at this point, they were just chapped), forgetting that the skin around my mouth is pretty sensitive to things like menthol and cinnamon (learned this from toothpaste).  I think that while the Carmex did keep my lips moist and prevented further chapping, it may also have exacerbated or maintained the irritation around my lips.  Then, between two and three weeks ago, the weeping began on my upper lip.  At first it was a sense of thin wetness and I would wipe it off and re-apply balm, but then over night it became a crust with a yellowish tinge.  The crust seems to dissolve away in just about anything (water, petroleum jelly, etc) without much effort, but then the lip would began weeping the thin, clear, slightly salty fluid.  It doesn't seem like pus and there is no blistering.  Unlike cold sores there are no bumps and there is no locus -- just a patch of lip skin that weeps a fluid that dries into a yellow crust.  The weeping/crusting then spread from my upper lip to the skin above my lip and to my lower lip.  My guess is that my already compromised skin picked up an infection.  I tried using a standard topical antibiotic ointment with bacitracin and it seemed to work (plus, being petroleum based, it kept my lips from getting dry).  It got rid of the areas that weren't on my lip in less than two days and improved the condition overall.  However, after several more days and no further progress on my lips it actually began getting worse again.  Lots of ointment has not helped.  I tried just leaving it alone entirely the last two days; it hasn't helped and my lips began chapping/cracking which probably will make it worse.  Today I finally got the cortisol cream and I'm going to try the combo advised by the first few posters.  This is the ONLY place online that I could find where anyone described something similar to what I have.  It really doesn't resemble cold sores/herpes and while I cannot rule out impetigo, I would point out that almost all facial impetigo infections seem to be much more focused on the nostrils than the lips (in fact in pictures it often seems to avoid the lips).  Meanwhile I have had no problems around my nose at all and, unlike what I see in most impetigo pictures, there are no spots or bumps.  I'll post again to update on whether the hydrocortisone/bacitracin ointment combo works.

Side note: I have, like another poster here, also experienced rapid worsening as a consequence of eating certain foods.  I believe it's from oily things like pizza, which is tough to keep completely off my lips while eating.
Hey, I have the exact same symptoms as you! Any news? Update on your situation?
Hello, I'm from Portugal and I must say I am very happy to find a place in which to speak of my problem.
The truth is I have this situation at least 8 years, with exactly the same symptoms described here. has been a torment. The ONLY thing that relieves symptoms with cortisone are products or derivatives. In the last 3 years I have used "Protopic", is free of cortisone, a real find.
The reason I am writing here is that after doing more tests and medical examinations for a long time, resentment consulted a dermatologist who asked if I had a tooth leaded, and yes I have. So he sent me to replace all the lead of the teeth by that "white ".
I'm allergic to merthiolate. According to the doctor, the merthiolate has mercury and lead from Mercury also has teeth! In hindsight, there really are 8 years that i leaded the first teeth ... I think I'll start replacing the lead. If I tell you to get better.

See you soon. And sorry for bad english.
I too have been experiencing this for years off and on.  I am allergic to Lanolin, some pollens (rye grass, ragweed) possibly some molds.  I'm working with and allergist to try to figure this all out. Even Vaseline is irritating to me now - or at least it isn't soothing. I may be sensitive to mineral oil.  I recently discovered I am also allergic to the Preservative Benzylkonium Chloride which is in most eye drops and nasal sprays.  I recently had surgery for a severe chronic sinus infection.  Though those might cure the itchies... It hasn't - perhaps because of the allergy to the sprays/drops I was told to use to help the healing and inflammation post op...
I'm now seeing the ENT for post op, an allergist to diagnose, treat the allergic reactions and my GP to hopefully manage this as I think it is all inter-related... I think the allergies  and eczema I have cause inflammation which gets out of control and then as others have mentioned I get secondary infections... also, any small infection causes inflammation and makes me more sensitive to allergens...
In general I am trying to keep super hydrated, using Protopic very sparingly ( it is a potential carcinogen with chronic use!) and using straight vitamin E oil to moisturize my itchiness.  My lips aren't splitting anymore and this was the first time in ten days that I haven't woken up with eyes crusted too... but my lips seems worse... sheesh... Nice to know that I'm not alone, but there seems to be no one easy answer for my chronic re-occuring issues... I too have the oil reactivity.. Olive oil may be the culprit... my sister suggested it as a treatment, but it seemed to cause more inflammation and I reacted to some oven roasted veggies that were brushed with olive Oil...  
I think if the inflammation were not there I wouldn't be reacting, but since my lips are cracked I am sensitive to nearly everything!

Maybe I'll fast for a few days and just drink water!!!  Perhaps I'll "clean out" whatever is bothering me...
I am a nurse, and I can tell you that the yellow crust you all have been experiencing might well be from a VERY infectious and contagious bacterial infection called impetigo or possibly an oral form of the herpes simplex virus (cold sores). If you experience another outbreak, I would go to your MD's office and have them do a culture so you know for sure what you are dealing with. The treatment of choice for impetigo is an anti-bacterial ointment such as mupirocin (Bactroban) or bacitracin (Polysporin).
I am 14 years old, I have had this crust on my lips and around my mouth for 5 days now but not only do I have the yellow crust, I have these red pimple-look-a-like's covering my face in some sort of rash, on the 3rd day my eyes became blood shot and sore, on the 4th day the rash came down onto my neck and now today I have gotton a runny nose.

On the 3rd day a doctor came to my house and gave me cream and tablets unfortunatly I don't know what they're called. It looked like it just kept getting worse and worse so today, I went down to the medical centre and the lady there didn't know what it caused it and why it wasn't getting better, considering the tablets and cream are very strong.

She sent me to the hospital and they told me that some bacteria went into the cracks in my lips and started the infection she gave me some anti-biotics and as I only got them today, I've only taken 2 and I ready think I am getting better.

If you have what I have you suggest you go to the hospital, I know you might think I'm over exaggerating but trust me, if you want to get better go to the hospital. You might think your doctor will know what he or she is doing but my doctor made me worse. And also if you have the same problem with your eyes, you deffiently have to go the hospital as it can ruin your eye sight.

If you're thinking 'why should I trust a 14 year old" trust me, It's happening to me and it was the worse thing ever and I'm also a lot smarter then you think. The hospital is a lot more trust worthy then just going and buying creams from the chemist and still having no idea of what is wrong with you and if this is going to make you better. And rememeber some creams made me worse, I'm so sorry I don't have the name of it! Good luck.
I had the same thing happen  1 1/2 yrs ago and the doctors had no idea and perscribede some cream and a pill to take. My lips started out getting tingly and then the yellow scabs appeared and my lips got swollen. It still took about a week to get better. While pregnant I feel the onslaught of it coming on again and am not thrilled. I'm gonna try this and hope it works. Thanks!!
this is called
impetigo
its an infection when you poor of health.
I have the very same thing, yellow scabs have formed on my lips and nose and if I peel them off, they seep. From researching online it really does look like these are cold sores. That explains why some of you will get it more than once as it lies dormant in your system and usually only re-appears when you are stressed or your body is busy fighting a different infection.

It is contagious, so when the virus appears try to avoid kissing others or sharing stuff like cups. According to official websites, you should try and treat it when it begins to feel tingly before the blisters form. I'm way past that stage so I am going to try your method, I don't want to go to the chemist because of the scabs so I am just going to have to make do with what I have at home. So I am using sudocrem as the antiseptic and some 2% antihistamine cream. I have my fingers crossed and will update later.
I HAVE THE SAME THING EXCEPT ON MY WRISTS AND ARMS AND HAVE BEEN DABBING BLEACH ON IT IT WEEPS IS YELLOW AND RED BUMPS I GOT IT ON MY CHEEKS 3 YEARS AGO SCARRED MY FACE SEVERELY WENT TO 5 DOCTORS THAT THOUGHT IT WAS ACNE IT WASNT IT REOCCURS EVERY FEW MONTHS NOW ON MY ARMS ITS A CIRCULAR RASH IT SPORES FROM UNDER THE SKIN AND SPREADS  I MIGHT TRY THE ANTIBACTERIAL CREAM THO AND SOAP NOW THAT I THINK ITS BACTERIA FROM ALL THE POSTS IVE READ
It sounds like a have a very similar condition.  It started on one side of my lips, usually near the edge and seems to spread.  There is a yellow crust but it is so thin it basically wipes off all the time.  I had it for 4 months when I finally saw my doctor.  I have been using vasoline on my lips for the past 5 years and my dr. suggested changing to an SPF chap stick because it might be from the sun.  So far it's only been a few days and nothing has changed but I will give it another two weeks before I go see my dr. again.  
Was tested for herpes in January and was clean.

Saturday, went hiking in the sun.

On Sunday night, I noticed these tiny bumps above my top lip and above my chin. When I squeezed, a clear yellow liquid oozed out. These bumps were very small. They eventually ended up scabbing and now (Friday), they are pretty much gone but the affected areas are now pink.

One of the bumps was filled with yellow pus as opposed to the liquid.

They never hurt and didn't really itch.

Here are the photos: http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/badbakht2/

What do you think this is? Thank you in advance.
Yes this is not herpes you people are dealing with but impetigo.  I saw some people posted already that this is impetigo but I guess most of you didn't see it since the post was relatively small.  Anyways I went to countless doctors and many of them without any testings assumed I had herpes therefore I took a loooot of medicine for herpes but nothing worked.  Finally my last doctor she was smart enough to do a lab test and it came back as impetigo.  But the ointment she gave me (muciporin) did not work I have no idea if it's because it was a generic brand.  I was recommended by a colleague who also dealt with impetigo and she used Bractoban which is muciporin also but just branded.  So even though it is a bit costly I purchased it with of course I requested that my doctor to prescribe this exact brand.  And to my surprise it did work.  Now I constantly put on vaseline so my lips do not crack therefore no bacteria can come in and have the horrid impetigo crusting over on my lips.  Hope you all luck.  Just if you people don't see this and for those searching the web about it and this may be obnoxious but if it gets your attention then it can't be helped lol.  

YOU

HAVE

IMPETIGO

if there's yellow weeping and crusting.
Wow, just googled my symptoms tonight after suffering for at least 2 years with this crap! I have eczema and skin allergies but I didn't think this was related since I've just started the impetigo symptoms recently (within last 2 years).

I'm going to see my dermatologist friday but I also wanted to check and see if anyone noticed breakouts after drinking from plastic cups or straws? After using either of the two I ALWAYS have a breakout.

Thanks for the OTC help!
I am having the same condition with my lips and I don't know what is wrong.  I am going to the doctor today so I will let you know what they say.
Hi everyone, Ive gotten alot of help from this forum , especially with the cortisone cream and anti bacterial cream. Worked wonders for my lips! I've had the same conditions mentioned on and off for two years now. I have a history of eczema as well. But recently I looked at an article about Atopic Dermatitis, which Is another term for eczema, but also includes yellow crusting and itching of the lips. I'm almost convinced this is what were dealing with. What do you guys think?
I have the same problem and me being a model, this creates a serious problem. I have researched it and been to several doctors, and to be quite honest, none of them have any idea what it is or even what causes it. It seems to be different for everyone though... I am allergic to fruits and anything fresh. These set it off for me. Also cats and fresh cut grass do not help. Burt's Bees Chapstick is the only thing I can use that doesn't set it back off. But be careful. After many failed experiments, THICK chopsticks, even waxy Burt's bees ones keep the problem going. The mango Burt's bees and the silver capped nourishing ones are the ones that don't make it worse. I hope this helps.
It is Impetigo and the Neosporin will work but Polysporin might not have stong enough anti bacterial ingredient in it.
the hyrdocortisone cream by itself doesnt help it only brings the redness down for awhile

Good Luck
PS if the sores on the skin not the lips hurt.. you probably have Herpes
Impetigo is mostly just itchy
WARNING! Although I'm constantly on the web, I hardly ever make posts on random sites I browse and I usually just let nature take its course. Being especially bored at the moment and feeling like doing a good deed, I wanted to add some advice (which most certainly will be ignored). FLUOCINONIDE is a medium to extremely potent corticosteroid... Its a steroid hormone. It has no antibacterial properties. You may inadvertently spread your impetigo during application; if you indeed have impetigo and somehow convince your doctor to prescribe a topical steroid. If you are prescribed fluocinonide for a different skin issue, you are NOT to apply liberally throughout the day as a previous poster stated. It is most usually used once or twice a day, applying a very thin film to the affected area. At least take a moment to research what I'm saying before moving heaven and earth to get your hands on this prescription simply because you're panicking over some crusty lips. Not only will you spread the infection, but you will risk combining it with side-effects that will only make it more unsightly. Now that's off my chest you may proceed with your crusty lipped day.
It is Impetigo. i have been having this problem, reoccurring for about 2 years now. And this time I was bound to figure it out. So I searched high and low and finally found this. It matches all of my symptoms, so I have self-diagnosed myself with it.
Impetigo is a bacterial infection of the skin that can occur just about anywhere, but is most common around the mouth.
It occurs when the skin gets raw and irritated from excessively licking lips causing extremely chapped lips.
Google symptoms and treatments.
I hope that helps.
Hi - I think what you are dealing with is exfoliative chelitis - my son has it - and there is no cure that we have found - although many people are trying to find a cure on their own - you can go to ************ and search exfoliative chelitis - there is a whole community of people struggling with the same problem
Hi guys. I have the same condition as the ones you've mentioned for appx. 2 weeks now. I got this problem when I dabbed alcohol on my lips which severely damaged them. haha. My father told me to use Medicated Chapstick for my severely chapped lips but it didn't help my lips heal but instead developed the yellow crust. The skin on the corners of my mouth also kept cracking. Sometimes I cried because of the pain. My father suggested to bring me to the hospital but I rejected because I was afraid of what the doctors (I had a bad experience with them) would make me put on my lips. So I researched on the internet for natural cures (because I don't like using commercial products). I found that honey was a good antiseptic/antibacterial and helps the skin recover faster. Also it's a good moisturizer. So I tried it. I used a q-tip to dab the honey into my lips and the corners of my mouth. It may sting a little at first. Wait for 10-15 mins and rinse away. Immediately after using, the pain disappeared and my lips became smooth and were not that swollen anymore. Then I applied my organic moisturizer and sunflower oil for vit E to the corners of my mouth and organic lip balm on my lips. My lips felt really great. A little sting will come back in a while though because the lips will quickly absorb the organic stuff I put so all I had to do was reapply them. But don't forget to wash ur hands first. This so far is my 2nd day following the treatment and it has shown great results just by using cheap but natural stuff. I think everything only cost less than $11! Also, try drinking wheat grass because it helps a lot in eliminating toxins and lots of water to hydrate the body. Hope this could help you guys. :)
I use to have this problem for the longest time. Through out my school years, since 2nd grade. I moved from Colorado to a tropical island, and the heat did not help my skin conditions. I also have eczema. And am almost resigned to have it forever. I am already 25 years old. Thankfully my lips do not have this problem. This is so helpful!  I wish I read this years ago. My lips use to have the same problem but three or four years ago, they started clearing up and getting better. Also I noticed when my dental care went up, my lip problem is gone. I don't know if the bacteria in the mouth is linked to the cause of this? But once I cleared out all of the cavities in my teeth, my lips have gotten way better. Also I have five siblings, and we are very close, and eat from the same spoon, or drink from the same cup, but only 2 out 5 of us have this problem. My other 3 siblings do not get cracked weeping lips. Also since my lips have cleared up my dating life has drastically improved, and am able to kiss or make out with my bf. I guess what I'm saying is I don't believe that this is contagious? Because by now all of my siblings would have this infection. I also don't think its herpes, because I had this problem since I was a little girl, and before I was sexually active. My sister also has this problem up to now. And she has dental issues. My lips have been cleared for the past 4 years, with minimum breakout. I noticed that brushing my teeth does dry out my lips, but drinking alot of water helps, or I use carmax lip balm. Thanks everone for posting. I always was curious of what I had, and always thought that my sister and I were the only ones with this problem. She has eczema too.
Currently going through this problem now. I have tried polysporin...made it worse. Now my entire upper lip is inflamed, weeping, and crusty. I have tried everything except what you used. I have gone to doctors and they don't know what it is...they did give me a prescription, pills to be taken in a day but didn't work. Will try the cream and post up an update. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I just started having this drama! OMG it is awful. I'm having the same exact symptoms as I have read above. When I google IMPETIGO however, (especially the pictures), I'm convinced that IMPETIGO is not what is happening on my lips. EXFOLIATIVE CHELITIS is more of what is happening. My doctor did prescribe a type of cortizone and an OTC antibotic (antibiotic). When I googled EXFOLIATIVE CHELITIS, it helped me identify that I haven't been taking my multi-vitamins in over a month and the fact that I am peri-menapausal and current having a lot of hot flashes. My lips are getting better slowly.
Thanks so much for posting exfoliative chelitis. This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm strying the antibotic (antibiotic) ointment and cortizone.
My lips have been doing the same! They're really red and chapped. I apply chapstick every few minutes which has helped but it's been going on for about 2 weeks. I wake up in the morning and have to peel a yellow crust off the side of my mouth. What is it called?
I'm having the same exact problem. I have a cortisone cream already will that work? Or will a Rx cream called protopic  maybe work?
I have severe food and outdoor allergies. I recently got this condition and went to the doctor. They prescribed a low dose of prednisone and it cleared right up; therefore, it was a lip allergy. However, it came back and I got super frustrated. I work as a nurse at a clinic so I asked my provider to look at it and she too said it was an allergy. I had a sinus infection as well and so she prescribed me a HIGH dose of prednisone and an antibiotic to knock everything out. I got better, my lips healed and I stopped using my toothpaste to see if that was the cause. NOPE. My condition is back because I have been off of prednisone for a few days. I refuse to keep taking prednisone because of the risks it comes with. I am at a loss for what to do next because I can't stop eating completely. My food allergies developed over the last 5 years and I have yet to pinpoint them so I don't feel like it will be easy to find the culprit. Time to go see an allergist after all.
I have been having the same condition for a while now. First time it started out during the summer of last year. I visited two doctors. The first one told me she was unable to do anything and that I just had to wait for it to cure. After this bad advice I visited a second, who prescribed me hydrocortisone ointment (which you should never put on mucous membranes). So in short, both doctors gave me bad advice. Luckily, after two painful and embarrassing weeks, my lips miraculously cured.

However, three days ago I woke up with the same condition without any clear reason. Afte two days, my lips got so yellow and painful that I visited another doctor. He diagnosed me with impetigo, just as in some earlier posts in this thread. He gave me a medicin called Staphycid (500 mg), which is a penicillin in the form of capsules.  The active substance of Staphycid is natriumflucloxacillinemonohydrate. I have been using these capsules for two days now. Though my lips still hurt, they are not yellow anymore and I see some real improvement. I guess it will take a few days to get everything back to normal, but other than that it seems to work out fine.

To make a long story short: if you have the same symptoms as all the people above, there is a significant chance you have impetigo. Personally I advise you to see a doctor - not only to make sure you suffer from the same, but also because it is easier to get the right medicin by visiting one. I hope this helps for some of you, I have noticed this is an extremely painful condition, so I guess all the small things help. Maybe Staphycid or something with the same active substance might help you!
If there are fluid filled bumps and yellow oozing liquid that form a CRUST, then it is NOT exfoliative cheilitis. Exfoliative cheilitis is marked by large flakes of yellow/brownish peeling skin WITHOUT the bumps and weeping.

I, being a licensed nurse, and several others on this forum, have posted over and over again that what most here are probably dealing with is impetigo, a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS bacterial infection caused by the staphylococcus or streptococcus bacteria. Impetigo is marked by itchy fluid filled bumps that ooze and form a yellow crust on the lips, neck, hands, and in small children, the diaper area. They are usually NOT painful, just itchy, so if pain is involved it might be herpes/cold sores.

Good hygiene can help prevent impetigo, which often develops when there is a sore or a rash that has been scratched repeatedly with unwashed/dirty hands (for example, poison ivy can get infected and turn into impetigo).

Doctors can usually diagnose impetigo based on the appearance of the rash. Occasionally, they may need to take a sample of fluid from blisters. Impetigo is typically treated with either an antibiotic ointment or medication taken by mouth.

Impetigo is marked by:
Pimple-like sores on the skin, especially around the nose or mouth. The sores begin as small red spots, then change to blisters that eventually break open. The sores are typically not painful, but they may be itchy.
The sores turn into blisters that ooze a yellowish fluid and look crusty. Sores often look like they have been coated with honey or brown sugar.
The sores usually increase in size and number. Sores may be as small as a pimple or larger than a coin.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to practice GOOD HYGIENE. PROPER hand washing REALLY IS IMPERATIVE in preventing the spread of this infection. By proper, I mean washing with sudsy soap and warm water and making sure to wash well between each finger, fingertips, and going under nails with an orange stick. And all items of clothing and bedding, especially pillowcases, must be washed in very hot water.
So I've had this experience twice now, where i start out with red bumps on my lips which lend a sandpapery feeling to my lips and seep pinpricks liquid if I press my lips together. In a day they are forming small yellow crusts and the corners of my mouth are getting worse. There is a tingling sting on my lips, especially around the borders. The corners of my mouth will be sore and crusty and will split if I open my mouth too wide. On day three everything will be worse, my lips will be swollen and an itch will start on my ear and back of my wrist. Day 4 has super swollen, painful, weeping lips and the bumps on my arm are more visible and a little itchy. My ear will be very itchy, hot and scaly feeling. My ear and wrist do not act the same as my lips, there is no liquid seepage or tingle, just itch. On day 5 my lips will be bump free but the corners of my mouth will still be painful. There are no longer bumps or seepage on my lips, but they still tingle a lot. The itch has spread to a larger area of my ear and there are more bumps on my wrist.

The first time this happened, I went to my doctor on the fourth day, after it had spread to other parts of my body and my lips were a mess. He said it might be impetigo but was more likely HSV-1 because of the tingling/pain on the lips. He took swabs of the yellow crusts and took blood to test for HSV-1.  He gave me acyclovir and an antibiotic to take until the tests came back and he knew which one it was. The tests came back negative for HSV-1 (oral herpes).

This second time this happened, I assumed I had impetigo and went to the same doctor, on the first day of symptoms. (once you have sandpapery tingle lips, you don't forget) and he said it was definitely not impetigo and was probably herpes. I reminded him that he said it was impetigo last time and had done blood tests. But he was sure it was herpes and gave me acyclovir again. He also took more blood for another blood test. I decided to get a second opinion and went to another doctor on day 2 of symptoms. I said my reason for being there was "impetigo? herpes?"  The doctor took one look at my lips (note that at this point, nothing had popped up on the rest of my body) and said that she knew exactly what it was because she got it too. She said it was definitely NOT impetigo OR herpes. She said it was caused by stress and vitamin B deficiency. I told her about it seeming to spread to other parts of my body the last time I got it, but she said that was probably something unrelated. I left that office with orders to take a vitamin B supplement, drink milk, use chapstick classic flavor, and try to have a relaxing weekend.

I think I need a third opinion because now it is day 5 and it seemed to happen exactly as last time, although my lips have reached an almost healed state overnight between day 4 and 5, the spread to my body is getting worse. It is spreading to most of the same places, but not all of the same places, the first time it spread of my torso and cheek as well. Last time I had antibiotics and I wonder if I need them this time.

Does not look like photos of herpes or impetigo I have seen on the internet, looks a little bit like angular cheilitis but has pain and is all over the lips and not just in the corners so is probably not that.

Does anyone know what this could be if it is not herpes or impetigo and acting differently on the lips and the rest of my body?

tl;dr -what gives you bumpy, tingly, painful swollen lips that seep yellow liquid, but also can cause itchy, hot, red ears, and bumps that only itch, do not tingly and do not weep on your wrist?
chiming in real quick to share what worked for me. had similar conditions (chapped/peeling lips leading to lip infection, pus coming out and drying, swollen lips, redness and itchiness spreading beyond lips). here's what i did that got rid of all this in a few days:

- polysporin over lips and affected red area beyond lips, to fight bacteria
- ibuprofen to fight inflammation and swelling
- multivitamins to boost immunity

what didn't work for me was hydrocortizone chapstick (resulted in constant peeling of the lips) and aloe vera (burned and increased redness on areas beyond lips).

all in all the most helpful was the polysporin. would apply liberally and try to wash off and do a new application frequently.
The same thing is happening with me. I am also using omega 3 and multivitamins which seems to help. My doctor prescribed me antihistamines and antibiotic which was not working well and fast so I used corticosteroid with antibacterial ointment, it is giving me relief from weeping of lips and the rash is gone, but I am having sever dry skin around mouth that seems to be stretching towards lips in a way that I am unable to open my mouth with out tearing corners of my lips. Did you go through same? what did you do about it?
I have suffered from this where I would wake up with a thick yellow crust on my lips which was weeping. Very distressing and even more so as it was a few weeks before my wedding day. After lots of trips to my doctors where some doctor prescribed me blisteze !!! Was like rocket fuel on my lips! I ended up going private (£150) as soon as I walked in to the clinic, the doctor said it was eczema and prescribed me Eumovate (steroid cream) within 2 days my lips had healed!! I still get this condition from time to time which I think is caused by stress.
Dear everyone!

I started having these same symptoms, as well: sores, weeping, clear yellow crusting. I found that when I eliminate all gluten, sucralose, and some berries, the symptoms disappear. As soon as a I have any wheat/ bread/ splenda/ berries, it comes back.  It's not impetigo, it's an allergy to something in the food. With all these GMO's god knows what the genetic manipulation is doing to us! Anyhow, you can't always control what is in your food, especially when you eat out. If I have a flare up, i do use cortizone cream to clear it up, but I hate using that stuff, especially on the face. Cut out all the processed foods, especially the diet sweeteners, and wheat/ gluten stuff, and you'll see.  Give time though, it takes months for this stuff to really leave your system, and even a little soy sauce (gluten) can trigger another reaction. Good luck to us all!
Hello everyone!

So, I was reading this after a recent breakout of mine to see if there was any new information on how I could more efficiently handle my reaction, and it seems that applying an ointment like Neosporin might help in addition to the hydrocortisone cream.

It's called Candida albicans, a natural digestive flora in the yeast family found in your digestive tract that feeds on sugar. An imbalance causes a hyper release of toxins and toxic byproduct which results in a variety of symptoms, the small bumps, yellow discharge, and irritation included. Because it feeds on sugar, it actually causes you to crave it, making the reactions worse. It's a catch 22.

Avoid sugars; that means fruits, breads, any simple carbohydrates, and, of course, the obvious ones like candies and desserts. Eat things that have been fermented and take probiotic supplements to help get it under control long-term.

To treat it, I've found that drinking cinnamon water before bed and before breakfast works wonders. Detoxing helps as well. I do oil-pulling with extra virgin organic coconut oil, which literally pulls toxins orally, and makes your skin look amazing by the next morning. (These are personal results - every person's hormonal composition is a unique cocktail, so I can't make any guarantees, but I highly recommend at least trying what I've suggested.)

For more information and professional medical advice, check out these websites:

The Ultimate Candida Diet:  http://www.thecandidadiet.com/
Oil Pulling:  http://www.thecandidadiet.com/oil-pulling.htm
Hey I wanted to ask how is it going for you. Have you gone to the doctors after the post?
I have the same issue as you except it hasn't spread to any other parts of my body. A year a go I got tiny little bumps on my lips that made the same sand paper feeling, tasted almost salty, that oozed a clear liquid. Then rapidly just a day later the bumps got bigger and they oozed the yellow honey looking liquid that would crust over. The doctors thought I had herpes also but they were wrong.
I asked a dermatologist if he could treat it as if it were impetigo and he said that if he did he believed it would get worse. So he prescribed me protopic and clotrimazole & betamethasone dipropionate and they both help. Protopic I use every day bc it's doesn't have harmful steroids. But my lips would break through every week and a half so then I would use the other one which has steroids for a day or two and it would go away. And then the cycle repeats it's self.
Im getting pretty sick of this issue . I'll see a specialist this Wednesday and hope she can help. I'll report back if she is of any help.
what if you do don't experience the itching , just pain. But you were tested twice, one form the culture and a blood test and they were negative for herpes. They also gave me pills to treat it as if it was herpes and there was no improvement.
The dermatologists don't know what it is but know that it isn't contagious, I've had it for a year and none of my family members, or my boyfriend, has got it.
It has not spread either, it always only on my lips.
Can a food allergy cause me to have such symptoms like this? I swear it's ecthyma.
Would you recommend any topical creams or pills?
Would a biopsy be helpful?
I've been having this problem off and on for a few years now, but it's only gotten bad this year, 2014. I can't understand why different medicines work for different outbreaks when my symptoms are usually the same. Sometimes the crust is worse than others, sometimes the crust isn't hardly there. It starts out as a red patch on an area of my lip and spreads to patches covering both lips usually by the end of a day or 2 days. It will feel crusty and sand papery if I put my lips together. Sometimes it itches like crazy although it's currently not very itchy but burns a little. Only ever affects just my lips and can never pin down a cause of why it happens. The only thing that definitely causes it is using almost any lipstick or chapstick so I exclusively use Aquaphor and Carmex now. Over the summer carmex seemed to stop this overnight and I'd be ok for a month or two, but it'd come back. What is this?? Two doctors didn't know. One guessed it could be herpes but when I went back earlier this month when it was bad she didn't think it was herpes anymore but didn't know what it was. One doc gave me Muiprocin which seemed to hcure it the first two times after 1 or 2 weeks but not lately. Last time it seemed to respond immediately to Muconizole, a drugstore antifungal, but this time it didn't seem to help and my crusts are worse than they've been since my first outbreak of whatever this is. It doesn't really look like impetigo, chelitis, herpes or anything I can find pics of online. I can't understand how to fix this or why it happens. I'm in great health otherwise, healthy weight, could eat more fruits/vegetables but don't eat a lot of fast food, 25 yr old female. This doesn't seem to be contagious as my fiancee refuses to stop eating and drinking after me and he has never shown any type of symptoms. Help!!!!
Oh my goodness. Basically, two weeks ago I got bumps around my mouth. I thought it was a cold sore because I tend to get colds really easily since my immune system is low and I am most definitely not a 5 a fruit and veg a day person. Thus, I left it thinking it would go. Man, was that a bad decision, within 3 days I had a burning sensation (it killed) around my mouth and my mouth was pretty much swollen. I was obviously convinced to go to the doctors, so I did. My doctor mentioned I had a contagious virus (did not give a name) because I seemed to have spots on my feet and hand as well. My doctor gave my flucloxacillin and this cream to put around affected area for relief. My goodness did it help! Within a week of using it, I felt much better and so stopped using what was prescribed to me. However, a few days later I woke up with yellowy crusts around my mouth and it looked disgusting and I just want to cry. I am unable to even. I still have the cream that the doctors gave me and I am applying it now. I just do not know why it has just reappeared?! I hate this so much and my college is already angry at me for missing days off due to stupid infection. I have a feeling this is more than a non-bollous impetigo, for me anyway. Will be going to the doctors tomorrow for help. Will keep y'all posted.