Young Male getting many, many Gray hairs. Any way to fix it?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hello everyone.

I'm a 23 year old college student and over the past 3 years I have been steadily getting grayer and grayer every month. Around when I turned 21 I had a few, now it is just rampant. Most of it all is on the left and ride sides of my head, with some making it's way to the front and top.

Being a 23 year old, tall, white, slim kid with significantly graying hair has almost paralyzed me from any social situation that doesn't involve people close to me. I feel I can't go anywhere without noticing someone out of the corner of my eye looking at me. I don't know how many times I've been told by strangers that I look young for my age, and that I have a real "baby face" and having a substantial amount of gray hairs just makes it a thousand times worse.

I understand it's something I shouldn't worry about. I understand I shouldn't worry about other peoples opinions, but that is easier said than done when we live in a world like we do.

I know I can dye my hair. I know I can shave my head bald or buzzed. I know I can try and pluck every gray hair out hoping it scars and doesn't grow back. I've tried looking for pills or supplements to help reverse or combat the problem. But I always seem to be coming up short.

I'm asking to find out if there is anyway I can somehow reverse, or remove all of the graying hair on my head and replace them with healthy, dark brown hairs. I know they do hair transplants to people with balding heads or ones that have lost their hair for medical reasons. I'm wondering if they can so the same for me, but am skeptical because I've never heard it done before.

I know the cost will be very expensive, but I would do anything to get rid of them at this stage in my life.

Thanks for the help.
My husband and I were both prematurely gray. Our four children are all prematurely gray. Blame it on genes. By the way I found my first gray hair before I hit my teens. Count yourself lucky.
The causes of premature graying of hair could be    nutrients and proteins deficiency in the hair cells, emotional or physical stress and dandruff.  Other causes of premature graying of hair are an unclean condition of the scalp, washing the hair with hot water, drying it with an electric dryer, and use of hair dyes. Heredity is also a predisposing factor. If there is or nutritional deficiency then give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am a 26 year old white male. I noticed my first gray hairs when I was 6 years old. By the time I reached age 13 I had significant gray hair and by 23 my entire head was gray (clear strands). Now I am 26 my head, beard,  chest, and even pubic area are gray. I have always had dandruff and have seen many doctors and have had extensive bloodwork done with no success. My skin does not tolerate shampoo or any topical medication that I have been given by doctors so now I do not use any. I was orphaned at birth so i do not know if my situation is hereditary. And because of my bright blue eyes people constantly come up to me and ask if I have some time of medical condition that has made me like this. Believe it or not I get people that come up to me all the time to tell me that I look like a wolf. If you know of any tricks to reverse premature grays please let me know otherwise I will just have to deal with it.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers