a mole on my head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

a mole on my head

I have a mole on my head a size of a dime. I have had this mole since I was born and I am now 30. I have an appointment with a dermatologist on January the 3rd. I have had my doctor look at it and they feel that it is not cancerous so I am ok with that. Recently it has been causing some major pains like burning or something digging into it. I am a little nervous about it because I do not want anything to be wrong. I have called my physician and they are going to try to get me in. Could you tell me why this might cause me pain all of a sudden?
Hi Jess,
How are you feeling now?
You have a mole since birth on scalp and now all of sudden it has started burning. This can be normal or part of some infectious process. A change in the structure of mole or any other skin growth, such as a birthmark suggests melanoma. Any change in the shape, size, or color of a mole may indicate growth of cancerous mole. Melanoma usually looks like a flat, brown or black mole that has irregular, uneven borders, and is not symmetrical. Melanoma skin growths may be 6 mm (0.2 in.) or larger. A melanoma may be lumpy or rounded, change color, become crusty, ooze, or bleed.
Your symptoms do not look like as that of melanoma, but, a thorough evaluation by a dermatologist is important.
You can show it to another physician to alleviate your anxiety about mole.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Ihave a mole on the side of my head the doctor said they can bun it off