acne

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

acne

I tend to break out a week or so before "that time of month" and was wondering what are options to prevent it if I have been told not to use hormonal treatments?? I've wanted to go on the BC pill before, but was told that it is not advised that I do. I've been doing a fairly strict face wash routine and all that, but I have a strong feeling it's hormonally caused. I'm basically at a loss for what to do about it...
Since you are getting acne before your periods, so definitely it looks like being due to changes in hormone levels. Birth control pills are one of the preventive options but if you do not want to go in for that, you can go in for other methods.

Just keep you face clean by washing with a mild soap atleast twice a day. Pat it dry and do not rub it. Avoid picking or pressing the acne. You can also use Benzoyl peroxide 5% lotion or gel once at bedtime. An amount of lotion the size of a pea should be enough to cover most of your face. If your skin becomes red or peels, you are using too much of the medicine or applying it too often. Also engage in a diet that is low in sugar and fat but is rich in vitamins. This prevents acne by preventing the buildup of excess oil on the skin. Also try to keep your hair free of dandruff by using good antidandruff shampoos. You can also apply benzoyl peroxide creams or clindamycin cream on the acne.

If the symptoms persist, then oral antibiotics may be needed. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.