Dermatology Community
actinic cheilitis
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

actinic cheilitis

Hi

I have mild  actinic cheilitis on my lips. it is most visible on the lower lip on the sides- i have lost parts of the vermillion border aswell.

Is there a way to reverse the loss and get the vermilion border back and remove the whiteness?

thanks
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Actinic cheilitis can develop into squamous cell carcinoma. Since the condition is premalignant, treatment options include 5-fluorouracil, imiquimod, scalpel vermillionectomy, chemical peel, electrosurgery, and carbon dioxide laser vaporization.

Please discuss these treatment options with your dermatologist to find out which one is the best for you.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Blank
I was prescribed Efudex by my dermatologist for what she thought was actinic cheilitis (turned out to be just chronically dry lips), but the Efudex was able to clear up that, and is supposed to be one of the main treatments for actinic cheilitis.  Definitely talk to your doctor about what treatment is best for you, but if you end up with something like Efudex (chemical peel type treatment), check out www.redleprosy.wordpress.com.  I decided to chronicle my experience when I didn't find anything comprehensive online about what one goes through while using Efudex.  Hope it helps!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank