adult cradle cap?
recently I've developed what feels like dry scalp.  It's white and I can "scratch" it off to some degree.  (That can make a scab here and there of course!)  It doesn't flake, doesn't itch.  Just is bothersome.  What kinds of things would trigger this.  I've never had it before.
It can be seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp. on the scalp or under the nose or anywhere on face. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist, then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.