after shower itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

after shower itching

I get very painful itch after i shower, it happens only in summer time when the weather is warm and humid.
I tried showering without any soap, i boiled water and used it when it cooled, but didnt help, i use cold water cause i
feel hot water makes it worse, i itch in my chest shoulders and arms, its gone after approx. 20 minutes.
I am 55 years old male, i tried Zyrtec one hour before shower, it helped a little but the itch still there, is there any thing i can do ?i am afraid to shower, and by the way it also happens after swimming. What causes this what can i do?
Thank you very much

This discussion is related to shower itch.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Have you tried having your water analyzed during this particular period?

You have noted that this occurs at a particular time of the year and that the itching subsides with a prior intake of antihistamine. If this is the case, then you may be having an allergic reaction. Only that the particular trigger has to be ascertained. Avoid swimming pools if possible and try to use water from the faucet instead of straight from the shower. Water from the shower may ***** the skin as jets of water hit the skin. The pressure may illicit a reaction .Certain dermatitic skin conditions are caused by pressure. Also ease the water temperature gradually. Vascular reactions may elicit certain sensations over the skin.

Try to modify the bath routine. You may try taking a bath in a friend's or a relative's place .This way, we can distinguish if the allergic reaction is caused by something from within your own home.

Wash your towels and linens carefully also.

It's dry skin. I had this, when I moved to an area where the weather was dryer then I was living before. And the house had hard water.
It took about 6 months for my body to adjust to the new environment.
Try not to shower more then once a day, and use a hypoaleginic soap, or baby soap, for a while.
This will happen mostly in the areas where you'd sweat. inside elbow, crotch, behind the legs, chest, and sometimes the back.
Do not let yourself drip-dry. Use a towel.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your suggestions, i tried to bathe without using the shower but i still got the itch, i think its some sort of allergy .Strange how could someone be allergic to water,
its supposed to be neutral substance!
Is there any harm in taking Zyrtec daily for a long time, lets say the three months of the summer?
I was like many people on here that itch after a shower. I have been itching for about 6 months and lately it has been real irritating and dont even want to shower or bathe. I showed no visible marks just felt like 100's of ant randomly biting at my legs and butt mostly. I tried many of the things that others say like use room temp water and pat dry the body and put on clothes right away, they all helped a little.
But one day I put BABY OIL into the bath water and then washed up normally and I had zero itching on any part of my body afterwards and it was a relief. I still felt clean and actually enjoyed getting cleaned up. I dont know how much i used but it wasnt very much. It almost seemed like the water ran off of me so fast i didnt need to dry afterwards. In the next day I tried to bathe and put it just on my legs while in it and washed up normally and I feel good again.
I have yet to try to apply the baby oil before or even after the bath or shower cause i havent needed to.  I would like for everyone who thinks this might help to try it. Then try it many different ways and let everyone know what you think. It should at least help many people who have had this problem. SO IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU PLEASE REPOST THIS TRICK TO OTHERS IN THIS FORUM AND OTHER DISCUSSIONS AND LET OTHERS KNOW IF THIS MAKES A DIFFERENCE> THANKS