anal fungus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

anal fungus

I have been plagued for a long time with a fungus around the outside of my anus. It makes the hair stick together and makes it difficult to wipe myself clean. It used to happen only in the warm weather but now it is all year long. What do you suggest?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Applying hydrocortisone 1% cream once daily may help alleviate the redness and itchiness that may be present in the area. Wash the areas with a mild cleanser and keep the area dry. Applying petroleum jelly or cocoa butter may help direct contact of the stools with the affected skin. A microscopic examination of skin scrapings from the area may help determine if a fungal infection is present. In this case, antifungals may be used.