angular stomatitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

angular stomatitis

Hello doctor,

I have dark spots on both angles of my lips and one docot friend of mine told me that it looks like angular stomatitis. I have been to several dermatologist and they prescribed vanos, clobetasol,hydrocotisone, hydroquinone creams. I have tried them all but those dark spots are very prominent and do not disappear. Please suggest something that I should use and what it is exactly that I should be doing?  I also have problem with the skin below my nails, skin peels of on its own on all my fingers making my fingers very ugly looking and darker than rest of my skin. what can  I get some advice from you for this problem also?

It would be important to see a doctor for a confirmed diagnosis.

'Irritation and fissuring in the corners of the lips is termed angular stomatitis or angular cheilitis. In children a frequent cause is repeated lip-licking and in adults it may be a sign of underlying iron deficiency anemia, or vitamin B deficiencis (e.g. B2-riboflavin, B9-folate or B12-cobalamins), which in turn may be evidence of poor diets or malnutrition (e.g. celiac disease).'

You could read more about the condition at the following link -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomatitis

Let us know if you need any other information.

Post us about how you are doing and also about what the doctor tells you.

Regards.