Dermatology Expert Forum
atypical borrelia rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

atypical borrelia rash
34 years ago my camping companion/lover and I presented with intense itching and odd tiny (hair's width) straight lines (~3 cm long) rashes removed from the site of our recent tick bites.  Subsequently we had neurological symptoms consistent with MS (and Lyme disease).  Incredibly a year later, I gave my soon to be wife this odd neuro thing with a rash and subsequent permanent numbness and tingling.  Everybody tested negative for STD;s.  My symptoms persisted episodically.    A western blot for borrelia was negative.  I was diagnosed with MS.

Does not having had the typical Bullseye rash and the having a negative western blot adequately exclude borrelia?  Is there another infectious agent that should be considered?  

I wonder what they saw in the emergency room in Spokane 34 years ago.  They took pictures and even had a sketch guy come in before the sent us on our way with cortisone creme.  

OK, ya.  There was one more lover who got it and then recovered.    
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the symptoms and diseases you're asking about to answer your questions.  I can say that the absence of a "typical" rash does not suffice to rule anything out--Lye disease is a good example.  I suggest you consult with a neurologist or infectious disease specialist for more information.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff