baby's scaly scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

baby's scaly scalp

My newborn baby girl had received a red, dry semi-circle ring above her left temple at birth due to the vacuum forceps needed to deliver her.  Now, about 5+ weeks later, I've noticed the scarring has hardened and has a yellow/green color.  My Pediatrician couldn't identify what it was, but assured me it wasn't infected since there was hair growing from it and there was no redness around the area at all.  Should I treat this as cradle cap at this point and see what happens from there?  Any thoughts as to what this could be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a resolving hematoma from the vacuum forceps. Hematoma or bruising starts from a reddish to dark bluish tinge or discoloration over the affected skin.  Hematoma is due to disruption of blood vessels in the area which causes blood to leak. As it resolves, it may appear yellowish or greenish. This is due to the changes which take place in the blood specifically from the hemoglobin which is released from the red blood cells when they are  broken down by the body.

Bruises need no intervention. You may discuss this with your child's physician. This does not sound like an infection.

Just note for any signs of irritability or any change in your child’s appetite. This  discoloration should resolve in 2 to 3 weeks from the time of onset. But if the affected area is large, then it may take longer for the skin color to revert to normal.
Thank you for your response - that sounds very reassuring!  She is a very pleasant baby and has a great appetite, so I will certainly notice is there are any changes in those areas.  The area is not terribly large, so I will give it a bit more time to see if this resolves on its own.  Thanks again!