Dermatology Expert Forum
bacterial and fungal infections

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

bacterial and fungal infections
Hello Doctor

Can you tell me what is the best way to treat
bacterial and fungal infections?

are there any good over the counter drugs that work?

I heard that tea tree oil works but I don't think it's good enough.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Victoria:

The short answer to our question is this:  There are many good over-the-counter medications for fungal infections.  These include clotrimazole and terbinafine.  Just ask your pharmacist.  As for bacteria, you can get bacitracin or neosporin without a prescription.  These are less effective, but perhpas worth a try.

I agree that tea tree oil probably does not have enough antimicrobial power to do the job.

The kicker, however, is this: many people have red spots or crusts on their skin that they call an "infection" or "fungus" which really is neither.  It may be a patch of eczema or an inflamed follicle.  The creams I listed wouldn't do much for these, though they wouldn't be harmful either.  That's why they come with disclaimers like, "If this doesn't work in 2 weeks, see your doctor."  That would be my advice too.

Best.

Dr. R
A related discussion, Bacterial and fungal infection was started.