Dermatology Expert Forum
balanitis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

balanitis?
I'm an uncircumcised male with what I believe to be balantis. There is a reddish rash about a centimeter in diameter on the glans. In the past, particularly after intercourse, it would get redder and itchy. I've tried washing in warm water, don't use soap,. then let in air dry. That seems to have made it better, but, this morning, I noticed that the area had bled. Not much blood, but, given where it is, enough to make me worry. I'm wondering if I've misdiagnosed my balanitis and if it's actually something else. (There are no real sores, it hasn't spread and my wife doesn't have any diseases, etc.) Could the drying process just dry out the skin so it bleeds around the rash, and, if so, should I apply something like vaseline after I clean it each morning.
Yes, drying could cause bleeding.  But even if you diagnosed your balanitis correctly, you should see a doctor so you can treat it effectively.  Creams may help.  In extreme cases, circumcision may be advisable.  But one way or another, you really should look into it.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff