bald spot on my scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bald spot on my scalp

Well, this one day I went to school..and had my tied and came home and my boyfriend noticed a bald spot on my head. and I told him it was porbably the way I tied it, but then I took off my hair and he took a look at it again, and there was a bald spot. As big as a quarter. And now Im freeking out because I dont know how I can have a bald spot on the left side of my head. And my hair covers it, so you cant see it unless you lift it up. the bald spot is skin bald, where I can feel fingers touching my skin. And Ive realized that before christmas, this one morning I woke up and felt a painful throbbing on my head, like some one banged me on my head, and Im guessing thats where the bald spot appeared. any solution you can think of for me?

This discussion is related to itching scalp and possible dandruff with bald spot.
From the symptoms the possibility of tinea capitis is there. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck. Treatment includes washing the scalp with shampoo with selenium sulfide (2.5%) or zinc pyrithione (1-2%) used 2-3 times weekly at home. Oral steroids, Griseofulvin and oral antifungals may also be required. I suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.