birth mark itches and is fading

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

birth mark itches and is fading

I have or should I say had... a brownish red flat birth mark. sense at least 10 years. That i, aknowledged it anyways. On my left forarm. 1/2 inch around erregular circle. it became itchy, dry & and flaky. I avoided itching it so that i don't damage nerve ending, worsening the itch. After washing, the skin flaked off leaving redish irritated looking skin with a scar tissue like glare to it. The birthmark itself is gone or very faded if not just irritated skin. Itching still persists. Also the complication is solely in the exactly same place, size, and shape of where the birthmark, was, only. No where surrounding it. I saw my Local HealthCareProvider. MY HCP looked and immediately said it was dermatitis. prescribing me betamethasone dipropionate 0.05%. I was in and out in under 5min. I feel as though he didn't take into regard the birthmark mark used to be there. Being a dermatologist can you feel that is true? I'm caucasian, 30 years of age.