Dermatology Expert Forum
black dot disease

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

black dot disease

My grandson is mixed race (black-white).  He has had an unusual sore on his head for several months.  It has been treated as dry scalp and ringworms.  However, yesterday the Dr. told my daughter that it is black dot disease and that is is common among black people.  She has been told that he will have to take antibotics for 6 weeks or more and that it is very contagious.  Where can I find more information on this disease?
Carol:

The condition's full name is black-dot ringworm, or tinea capitis.  This is a fungus (not a worm!)infection of the scalp, which causes the hairs to break off and leave little black dots.  It's easy to treat with an oral antibiotic called griseofulvin, which we have used in kids for years.  It's true that the fungal strain now common is more common in blacks, for reasons which are unclear.  But soon he won't have it anymore, and he won't have permanent hair loss from it either.

Best.

Dr. R
1 Comment