black scab on head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

black scab on head

A friend of mine has a 7 cm by 4cm black scab on the right side of her head near the center...it doesn't itch,burn or bleed, her doctor says that it could be sun damage but does not want to send her for tests...she never goes outside...please help me find her problem...thanx
Tags: scab
Avatar_dr_f_tn

When was this noted by your friend?

How old is she?

Does she have other similar discolorations in other parts of the body?

Is there any associated hair loss?

Was there any previous skin infection in the area?

Any use of harsh chemicals , hair dyes, or the use of extreme heat on the scalp?

Hi,thanks for the reply , she noticed this about 5 weeks ago...she's 51...and no other places on her body has a mark...and she has lots of hair and doesn't dye them or bleach them...but now it itches, very sensitive, thick, smooth. It did change color... it's more of a white yelloish spoted pink...look like to me thats it's healing with ointment...but should she force to be more examinated???
Avatar_dr_f_tn

What particular ointment is she using?

Was this ointment prescribed by her physician?

If she is currently responding to the medication and her physician has prescribed it ,then it is best to continue with the medications and have this assessed after completing the course of therapy.

However if your friend only self medicated, I suggest she gets a follow up consult with her physician and have this assessed.She may bring the ointment with her so she may be guided by her physician accordingly.

At this point,this may be a superficial skin infection. Differentials will be psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. Psoriasis and the seborrheic dermatitis may present with flakes and scaling.In your friend's case this is not present.However for scalp involvement ,these two conditions should be primarily considered.
Thanks for the info...
My 8 year old grandson has about a 1.25 or 2in black spot on the top of his head and it scabs over it does not itch or bother him.He has had it for the past 2- 2 1/2 yrs. He has'nt seen a doctor for this i was just wondering if we should be concerned about it or if anyone knew what it could be?
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers