Dermatology Expert Forum
blistering rash in armpit

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

blistering rash in armpit
I have developed a rash that is isolated to my right underarm. It started with some light red spots that after a few days get deep red then blister. I applied some powder and stopped putting on deoderant. It seem to clear up after a couple of weeks. It then reappeared. It does not hurt expect when the blisters break and the skin is raw.
It could be irritation.  Blisters could also be infection, but infections wouldn't come and go.  An allergy to antiperspirant wouldn't look like this, and would of course affect both sides.  I think you should clean the area gently, apply an over-the-counter antibiotic like bacitracin, and see a skin doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I also just found out that my wife started soaking my clothes in oxyclean and tide. The washer does not rinse well. Could the laundry chemicals cause this?
I doubt it.

Dr. Rockoff
That sounds a little like hidradenitis.  Could it be?
I have read other comments regarding underarm itch and nothing is being attributed to deodorant. I have this problem of great itching underarms.  It is nearly insatiable once the scratching starts.  I never use anti-perspirant,I always use deodorant. I am currently using a roll-on of mineral salts and it seemed to work for a while but now the rash has returned.  Is this asymptomatic for many people or am I just an isolated case among a very few...
Thanks for any help

Peter T