Dermatology Expert Forum
blood blister on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

blood blister on lip

I developed a blood blister in the middle of my bottom lip after a severe chapped lip situation in December.  It is now mid-Feb, and it is still there.  Every 10-14 days, it will pop and bleed, usually receding a little bit, but it's always there.  It looks like a blood blister, is not painful even when it bleeds.  It has not increased in size since Dec and the color has stayed the same - red.  

I have always had chronically chapped lips, which peel every couple days.  I use Blistex medicated, Vaseline or Burt's Bees.  Other lip balms seem to irritate my lips more.I was putting Neosporin on the bottom lip a while ago twice a day, which seemed to help a little in making the blister recede, but didn't know if that was a good thing to continue.

And, I'm pregnant (32 weeks); probably has nothing to do with it?

What should I do?

During pregnancy, collections of blood vessels tend to form or grow to a greater extent than otherwise.  "Blisters" of the kind you describe are not dangerous, but sometimes cauterizing them with electricity is helpful if bleeding is repeated and annoying.  This can be done safely even during pregnancy.

I advise you to keep the lip moisturized with Vaseline or Aquaphor ointment (non-prescription).  If bleeding persists, have a skin doctor examine and if necessary treat it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for the information.  As a follow up,
1.  will this "blister" go away?  I know that a lot of skin ailments, i.e., skin tags, pigmentation changes, etc. go away after pregnancy.

2.  will a cauterization hurt?  scar?  It's in the middle of my lip, so I'm not looking forward to a more noticeable growth there.

Again thanks.
I'm not sure--it might get smaller or go away, so it's OK to wait.  Cautery shouldn't scar, though.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Why is lip bleeding profusely was started.
A related discussion, blue spot on bottom of lip was started.
A related discussion, blood blister on lip for 4 months was started.
I was playing with my son and he hit accidently hit my mouth.  I noticed a couple minutes later that I had a blood blister on my lip.  How long would you think this is goong to take to heL and go away?  I have a picture shoot in two weeks.  Is there anything I can put on it to help speed up the.healing process?